No Spring Game...

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I equate the spring game to preseason football. I always think I'm going to care and I'm always wrong.

For me, it's more of a quick little taste after a cold winter to propel me through the summer. Just enjoy the sound of pads thudding and seeing more than just players in shorts playing 7 on 7 or draft prep

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
At first I was against going to artificial turf but now I’ve warmed up to it. I’d be fine with it if they wanted to go that route.

Same. If CMC wants a consistent artificial surface than lay some turf this spring/summer! I get that last fall wasn't the norm but man that field was in really bad shape. There's a reason almost all of the northern schools have went away from a grass surface.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones122

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Kind of sucks that they are not have the spring game or Veshea anymore. It used to be a great way for alumni to come back to Ames for a day in the spring. I know the spring game really doesn't help the team as much as the extra practice, but it always creates a little buzz to watch the guys that don't get to play a chance to show their stuff.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I equate the spring game to preseason football. I always think I'm going to care and I'm always wrong.
Sure, but the Spring Game is a lot of fun to attend (when the weather is nice) imo. It's nice to at least get into JTS and have some football or even practice to watch. The off-season is long.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd rather them say they don't want to do it rather than blame it on potential weather.

Exactly. I went to a lot of spring games under past regimes, and if I went 10 years, it was good weather in 6 or 7. The weather might suck, but come on Matt, you just don't like them. Which is fine.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
God damn it Matt, you better make it to the Big 12 championship game to make up for that missed tailgate.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
That's extremely disappointing. Have taken my kids each of the last 3 times we had one and they love it. Get down close to the players . . . great for forming future Cyclone fans! Isn't that worth something?

Reactions: STATE12

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
No game fine, but they should still have a Spring Tailgate day. Open the lots and let the fans come and tailgate all day. Maybe partner it up with the fan fest... you don't need a game to get a bunch of cyclone fans together!

Indeed. It seemed like they were cranking up quite a festival for last year. I liked where it was going until the weather turned so bad.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I think a lot more schools are going to go this route in the future. Think a lot of coaches would rather just have an extra practice than a so-called "game".

Now the schools that can sell a lot of tickets to it they will keep it for the $$$.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt