No Spring Game...

danwbarrett

Mar 29, 2006
University City, MO

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
No game fine, but they should still have a Spring Tailgate day. Open the lots and let the fans come and tailgate all day. Maybe partner it up with the fan fest... you don't need a game to get a bunch of cyclone fans together!

I think this is actually a brilliant idea. Invite the fans into the stadium for a meet n greet. Host a Sukup Club & Jacobson open house. Have a few players suit up and run a couple no-contact drills with the kids. Have a throwing/punting/field goal kicking contest. Sign and disburse posters, mini footballs, etc. Have the band & cheer squads perform a few fight songs. After breaking down the last huddle play Sweet Caroline. Similar to Victory Day & Hilton Madness.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
I still like my idea of having a fan flag football tournament. Maybe have players and staff officiate the games. Turn it into a real fan fest.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I always liked the Spring Game. Especially on the 7/10 years where it was good weather. Especially as my kids get older, I like having a fun outdoor activity for the whole family to do.

It did really lose its luster after VEISHEA was cancelled. I liked having a lot going on around campus that day.

I understand it really doesn't benefit the team in any way, so I get it.

I also think it's kinda cowardly to blame the weather.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Damn. Two years in a row. Oh well, I'll still fly the flag and grill some burgers ...

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Are they planning to re-sod/re-seed the field this offseason or just repair it.

After this harsh season, I'm concerned that the field was in too rough of shape to repair.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Are they planning to re-sod/re-seed the field this offseason or just repair it.

After this harsh season, I'm concerned that the field was in too rough of shape to repair.
Don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if they just replace the whole field with new sod come Spring. Or if Campbell wants it just go to FieldTurf.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I like the idea of a spring tailgate. Alumni can come back and do beer-bongs and body shots in the middle of the day

Reactions: CYCLNST8

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Honest question: does anyone really look forward to the spring game? I went one year in college and wanted to leave 20 minutes in I was so bored.

Reactions: clone2003

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I always liked the idea of the game...but was always underwhelmed. Sure, MIGHT see a glimmer of the future...but not really, lol.

I think most fans get that CMC and staff have limited time with athletes and would rather that time be used as they see fit, not as a scrimmage (as they will still scrimmage, but they control the game with scenarios, etc (not just a wide open game).

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Honest question: does anyone really look forward to the spring game? I went one year in college and wanted to leave 20 minutes in I was so bored.
Absolutely. For those of us not close but close enough to drive on a spring day and sit in the sun at JTS...it's a nice way to put winter behind you. But you'll notice my whole answer is mostly about the weather. If it's sh*tty out then no, don't care.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Absolutely. For those of us not close but close enough to drive on a spring day and sit in the sun at JTS...it's a nice way to put winter behind you. But you'll notice my whole answer is mostly about the weather. If it's sh*tty out then no, don't care.
So it sounds like a legitimate excuse to me lol.

I went to one spring game while I was in school and wouldn't mind not seeing another one the rest of my life.

• Agree
Reactions: clone2003

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I have no issue whatsoever if we never have another spring game ever again. If that's what CMC wants, so be it. I think they should just come out and say the truth though..... CMC believes he gets a lot more out of another extra practice than a meaningless spring game in which you can't work on anything at all that you've installed. Just say it.

What I really love about this though is how much it bothers all the Hawk lovers on the eastern side of the state over here by CR. The idiot DJ's on KGYM over here are just beside themselves both last year and this year for ISU not having a spring game. Why in the world do they give a s**t? It's just hilarious to listen to them.