No Spring Game...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So fire Matt Campbell? I imagine there is more to this than "we just don't want to do it" so people need to freakin relax.

Probably a bunch of cancers in the locker room and other things behind the scenes instead of 'let's focus on getting better with a true practice so we're that much more prepared for a very highly anticipated season'.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I get it from Campbell’s POV, but still sucks.

Isu football is at the peak of popularity and the hype going into next year is going to be high. Would be nice to showcase the team.

On the other hand I can't recall an actual ISU season that was correctly forecasted by what happened the previous spring.

Hell under CMC the month of September doesn't even give us a very good idea, haha.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
If everyone wants to tailgate on that day and I can get a fight direct into Ames [haha], I'll be glad to come out West and give a Midwest talk on the history of CMC & Staff]: I know atleast five of them] and break down each position offensively and the goals of the offense when everything is in place [Hopefully next season, right?]. Can end talk with CMC stories while at Toledo and take questions.

For all this..........I'll just need plane fare, a chartered helicopter into Ames, plenty of beverages, and food. Doesn't that sound much better than a fake football game.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Hell yes I'll miss the one day in the first 8 months of the year that we get to tailgate. Something to look forward to all winter.

I guess if it's best for the team.

Too bad the NCAA couldn't make an exception to allow spring games as an exclusive extension of spring practice somehow. Either play the extra day or take the day off.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Does anyone know when Brock Purdy/freshmen are available to the media? Is it not till next fall?

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Leave it to Pollard to locate ISU in a state with inclement weather.

True, bad weather happens. But if bad weather really and truly was the reason for this, wouldn't they schedule for date X and then cancel it when the forecast called for bad weather on that date? Watch us have two Saturdays in April with the most perfect spring football weather you could imagine...

I'm with the person who wished Campbell would just be honest and say "I hate spring games" and be done with it.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
True, bad weather happens. But if bad weather really and truly was the reason for this, wouldn't they schedule for date X and then cancel it when the forecast called for bad weather on that date? Watch us have two Saturdays in April with the most perfect spring football weather you could imagine...

I'm with the person who wished Campbell would just be honest and say "I hate spring games" and be done with it.

That's pretty much exactly what he's doing. If you need him to say it loud for you, that's a you problem

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Hell yes I'll miss the one day in the first 8 months of the year that we get to tailgate. Something to look forward to all winter.

I guess if it's best for the team.

Too bad the NCAA couldn't make an exception to allow spring games as an exclusive extension of spring practice somehow. Either play the extra day or take the day off.

We often have a decent weather day or two for a basketball game in march, that's a tailgating option.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Losing the spring game is sort of disappointing, but if a common fan really wants access to the coaches attend the Tailgate tours in the summer, the coaches have never been less than accommodating at any I have been to, autographs, pictures, whatever.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
First Veisha and now the Spring game. Let's just have a blow out tailgate for a whole week and call it Sprisha!

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
They should have some sort of meet the team at the indoor practice field. Set up autograph tables and so on. The spring game was always dumb except for tailgating.

• Disagree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

scratch

Jan 28, 2018
No game fine, but they should still have a Spring Tailgate day. Open the lots and let the fans come and tailgate all day. Maybe partner it up with the fan fest... you don't need a game to get a bunch of cyclone fans together!
I like this idea !!!!!

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If everyone wants to tailgate on that day and I can get a fight direct into Ames [haha], I'll be glad to come out West and give a Midwest talk on the history of CMC & Staff]: I know atleast five of them] and break down each position offensively and the goals of the offense when everything is in place [Hopefully next season, right?]. Can end talk with CMC stories while at Toledo and take questions.

For all this..........I'll just need plane fare, a chartered helicopter into Ames, plenty of beverages, and food. Doesn't that sound much better than a fake football game.

Got excited for a moment that you were actually going to make a trip to Ames. Alas, I read more carefully and see that you are just being clever. Oh well, looking forward to when you do make it in person.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Got excited for a moment that you were actually going to make a trip to Ames. Alas, I read more carefully and see that you are just being clever. Oh well, looking forward to when you do make it in person.

Thanks for the excitement, but I'm quite underwhelming!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I really think it is a bad decision. Yeah, weather can be sketchy, but that didn't stop them from having it for years. Construction is a cop out. Just rope off the area and only let fans use the east stands. Or if that's such a problem (or they really are tearing up the turf), have the game in Des Moines or Ames HS.

I feel like the real reason is that Campbell just doesn't want to do the dog and pony show. They definitely do have scrimmages, but he doesn't want the public to see them. Same thing happened with the Gridiron Club...it used to be a scrimmage but this last year it was just a practice with drills. Obviously, the secrecy did not help them play better to start off the season.

Late April is a bad time for me, as I can't ever make the spring game anyway, but I think getting fans involved and excited (plus another tailgate) does have some value. You can bet that if ISU was coming off of two 5-7 seasons rather than 8-4, they'd be having the spring game. Campbell has a ton of leverage now. But, this seems opposite of what Pollard stands for in getting fans invested in the program.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12