Offensive vs. Defensive preseason expectations (long)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The more I've thought about this football season thus far, the more suprised I am.

Going into this season, we heard from the late practice and scrimmage reports about how our offense dominated and our defense really wasn't looking so good at all. In fact, Wally Burnham sounded downright depressed about his defense going into the regular season.

I remember most of us saying how we would need to score 40+ pts a game and try to outscore teams. I remember people saying how loaded we were at WR, and how many dangerous weapons we had at that position. Many were wondering if ARob would get very many carries in this offense, or if he would just be catching screens and so forth. Everyone was expecting HUGE numbers from Arnaud in this Herman offense.

Now.... here we are.... 4 games into the season, and if it weren't for our defense thus far, we'd be in big trouble. The defense has done enough in all 4 games for us to win IMO. You might think the defense was bad in the Iowa game by giving up 35 pts, but you'd be wrong. After the 1st qtr, I think we had a 3-0 lead? But we did an onside kick for some VERY unknown reason and Iowa got points from it. And then Arnaud started thinking he was Iowa's QB or something because he started throwing the ball to all the Hawkeye players. It put our defense in a no win situation.

As far as the offense goes... the two supposedly strongest points, Arnaud and the WRs/TEs, have done virtually nothing all year. Conversely, the questionable ability for ISU to run the ball has been our only strength thus far on this side of the ball.

I can't think Tom Herman is all too pleased with the passing output we are getting at all. I, for one, have not been impressed at all with the passing scheme I've seen so far. Mostly it has consisted of slants and WR bubble screens exclusively. Colin Franklin has basically been a non factor. Darks and Sed Johnson have been invisible. There seems to never be any receiver of any kind running a dump off short route for AA to go to if nobody else is open.... so he feels compelled to usually force something.

With all this being said, we are fortunate IMO to be 3-1 without any resemblence of a passing game whatsoever. BUT... entering Big 12 play, it is imperative that we start getting one IMO. I hope to see our defense continue to play solid this week, and our rushing attack continue to flourish. But most of all, I would like to see Herman and AA be able to get this passing game going. Right now we are a one dimensional team... and his name is ARob. That won't work in the Big 12 folks. We must get the passing game going on all cylinders. I think we have some talented WRs, but we have to be able to get them the ball in some space. Not one single bubble screen has worked to my knowledge? AA has not looked this confused since he was playing for Ames HS IMO. Something has to start clicking for him in order for us to move forward as a team and win some more games.

The defense, ARob, and special teams have done their jobs for the most part this season. It's time for AA and his corps of WRs to show what they are made of. If that can happen, we definately could go bowling. If not, we may not win again. Let's pick up the passing attack this Saturday Clones!!!

Reactions: Wesley

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Don't forget the offensive line for you list of groups that have done things well

tiberius

Sep 20, 2006
I am so impressed with the oline, special teams, and entire defense, that I am not going to worry about anything else. The passing game will come along, and I really think we have the right coaches this time. I haven't seen the oline look this good since Loney left, and am excited to see what Wally can do when he gets some more horses on the dline.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
Agreed. Defense has played respectable, bend but don't break strategy.

Offensively, it is my hope we simply play the hand we're dealt. Herman may be an offensive genius, but its ridiculous to not utilize the run game as a decoy to open up the passing game. Run some good old fashion play action, find the tight end out of a power set, hell throw a half back pass.

Also, Rhoads was excoriated for the onside kick at Iowa, and in retrospect it was the equivalent of an interception, but I like the fearless attitude. Lets employ some trickery. We tried once with Money and I loved it. Lets run a reverse, fake the hand off on kick offs, heck why not run the wildcat??

I guess I'm less watching the players and more watching the coaching, lets make adjustments and grow. We grew during the road win at Kent State, we need to have another growth spurt this weekend while basically on the road against KSU. Mahoney will be our man. Go Cyclones!

Reactions: zach

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
The more I've thought about this football season thus far, the more suprised I am.

Now.... here we are.... 4 games into the season, and if it weren't for our defense thus far, we'd be in big trouble. The defense has done enough in all 4 games for us to win IMO. You might think the defense was bad in the Iowa game by giving up 35 pts, but you'd be wrong. After the 1st qtr, I think we had a 3-0 lead? But we did an onside kick for some VERY unknown reason and Iowa got points from it. And then Arnaud started thinking he was Iowa's QB or something because he started throwing the ball to all the Hawkeye players. It put our defense in a no win situation.

The defense, ARob, and special teams have done their jobs for the most part this season. It's time for AA and his corps of WRs to show what they are made of. If that can happen, we definately could go bowling. If not, we may not win again. Let's pick up the passing attack this Saturday Clones!!!

I think this has been covered pretty good. The Coaches thought EIU defense was tired so they thought it might be a good chance to keep the momentum going. With that being said, if fans think we are just going to be able and line up with teams that have more talent and longer coaching staff tenure and smack the other teams around, I would have to disagree. We are going to have to be unpredictable and take educated chances so teams have to plan for the what ifs. If Mac would of added a little flavor in his game plans he might still be here...and I appreciate all that Mac did for us but I still have nightmares handing the ball off to the running back and running it up the middle on 3 and 15, 2 and 9.....

I agree it is time for AA and the WR's to pick up their game, which, as you would expect to take a little longer to work...let's make it happen this weekend!

Finally, I like what the onside kick showed me about our staff, we are going to take chances and be creative. If that had worked, it would of been called brilliant by everyone! For now that is what we are going to need to be successful, playing to win!

Z

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
How come nobody mention that the onside kick should have been ours?
All we had to do was catch it. It was kicked perfectly, Iowa never saw it coming and whoever it was never even looked at the ball as it went right by him. I liked the call, we just didn't execute.

CYCL0NE1

Jan 22, 2009
Waukee
IMHO, the onside kick was a similar (poor) coaching decision to Coach Hawkins going for it on fourth down two years ago. There wasn't a lot to gain, but a lot to lose - specifically momentum. Both decisions turned the game around. Our benefit in 2007. To our detriment in 2009.

Cardinal&Gold11

Nov 6, 2007
The land of Eastern Iowa University
IMHO, the onside kick was a similar (poor) coaching decision to Coach Hawkins going for it on fourth down two years ago. There wasn't a lot to gain, but a lot to lose - specifically momentum. Both decisions turned the game around. Our benefit in 2007. To our detriment in 2009.

There was a lot to gain from it. If we get that onside kick, we put that tired defense back on the field and wear them down. A lot of what ifs though but I loved the call.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
I dont think you can really judge our defense on the iowa game. Iowa's offense was getting get field pocession off of our turnovers and they were on the field for most of the game. I think they have played exceptionally well.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I have a feeling as the season progresses our offense will progress and our defense will show some wear and tear as we endure the rigors of the Big 12.

Remember the learnng curve has been greater for the offense than the defense.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
I have a feeling as the season progresses our offense will progress and our defense will show some wear and tear as we endure the rigors of the Big 12.

Remember the learnng curve has been greater for the offense than the defense.

I agree with this to some degree. The sooner our O starts working the less the wear and tear on the D in the end. I look forward to tomorrows game. I hope we hit them in the mouth getting off the bus because they are not that good of a team. Hopefully we are showing some growth.

Z

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron