*** Official #16 IOWA STATE VS #15 Texas Game(Day) Thread ***

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
IMO, the offense has had some issues for the past couple of weeks. Baylor and KU didn't have the horses to completely shut the ISU offense down, but UT did. Purdy came in at OSU and changed the look of the ISU offense, but I think the opponents have been slowly figuring it out. Probably a combination of deficiency in the offensive line, and running a rather basic scheme.

To move to the next level, I think ISU needs an offensive coordinator. It seems that the current staff struggles to adjust if the opponent's initial defensive scheme can stop ISU. Perhaps a change in the offensive line coaching is needed as well.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
FRESHMAN QB, give him a break, also he did not have the threat of Mont.

Please point out to me where I said ANYTHING whatsoever about it being the QB's fault?

It's the fact we don't have anyone on our coaching staff apparently that knows the first thing about running a play to beat a blitz.

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
The Texas D was missing some of their player the last few weeks because of Injury, they all showed up today, plus Minus the threat of Mont in the first half hurt.
I think it also hurt second half because where would you have guessed we were going.

cyanide

Apr 21, 2006
Coach CMP sounds pretty positive in the post game interview. I think he knows were gonna beat KSU.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Given the circumstances and high stakes, I just assumed we'd pull out all the stops to win this game tonight. I thought we'd see everything in the playbook..... trick plays, maybe some Re-al Mitchell at QB, etc..... just something. Nope.

And not only that, but we didn't even see a quick slant over the middle to beat a blitz, or some screens to burn a blitz, etc, etc, etc. Nothing.

One team came into the game understanding what was at stake and was prepared, and the other came in unprepared and had no idea what to do to make the necessary adjustments. Plain and simple.

But of course, why pull out all the stops, right? We're ISU, we'll have so many more chances at a Big 12 Championship game, am I right?

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Given the circumstances and high stakes, I just assumed we'd pull out all the stops to win this game tonight. I thought we'd see everything in the playbook..... trick plays, maybe some Re-al Mitchell at QB, etc..... just something. Nope.

And not only that, but we didn't even see a quick slant over the middle to beat a blitz, or some screens to burn a blitz, etc, etc, etc. Nothing.

One team came into the game understanding what was at stake and was prepared, and the other came in unprepared and had no idea what to do to make the necessary adjustments. Plain and simple.

But of course, why pull out all the stops, right? We're ISU, we'll have so many more chances at a Big 12 Championship game, am I right?

i agreed with literally every word you said, before you even wrote it.

this truly was a WTF kind of night.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Fire CMC, he sucks! He will look good as OSU coach! Calm down and enjoy having a good program! I was unhappy I couldn't watch, maybe the best money I didn't spend.

• Creative
Reactions: cyfan21

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

Man, I missed you in these threads.

It was the 500th game played at the stadium, it was senior night. They came out flying. Not having anyone in the backfield they had to respect allowed them to come after Purdy like gangbusters. It was worse for him to move outside the pocket because their team speed is amazing. That’s his game, and he is used to being able to use his athletic ability to make plays. So he looked like a kid that was playing high school football in Arizona last year at this time.

We got whipped up front on both sides of the ball, and the tackling was just awful. No amount of trickery was going to fix that. The bodies coming in to play line will be better, but it is a process and has to be recruited for. The tackling that’s on the players and defensive coaches.

It’s a shame. This was the biggest game in school history. Texas was just physically better, as they are against nearly every team in college football.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
i think the only gameplan thing that could have helped is go deep early and often but not sure if it would have worked. the pressure would have made that difficult. not having montgomery blocking was a big loss.