Official Bowl Watch thread

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
We finish no worse than 4th in conference no matter what happens next week. We don't fall below the Texas Bowl. Likely getting picked by Camping World Bowl.

Bowls can pick whoever they want. Conference standing have little impact. It’s all about who brings the most money.

We really need to beat KSU.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Bowls can pick whoever they want. Conference standing have little impact. It’s all about who brings the most money.

We really need to beat KSU.

If conference standings do not matter, why does beating Kansas State matter?

Reactions: vmbplayer

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
We beat KSU and IW and it’s pretty much a lock for Camping World. Still a great year. Would like to face NC State. Wish Miami, FSU, or VT were better than they are.
To go with my prediction I unfortunately see WVU handling the Sooners in Morgantown on Friday. This will set up for Texas vs West Virginia in Dallas. Don’t think the Big 12 will represent in the playoffs.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
If conference standings do not matter, why does beating Kansas State matter?
I dont think in the Big 12 outside the Sugar the bowls have a designation on standing order for the teams that go. What they do have is a picking order. So usually they still go in some form of order from highest to lowest standing/ranking. So the bowls dont have to pick a certain team based on their standing, but they do get to pick in a certain order so usually the higher picking/paying bowls pick a higher standing team.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I dont think in the Big 12 outside the Sugar the bowls have a designation on standing order for the teams that go. What they do have is a picking order. So usually they still go in some form of order from highest to lowest standing/ranking. So the bowls dont have to pick a certain team based on their standing, but they do get to pick in a certain order so usually the higher picking/paying bowls pick a higher standing team.

And we are going to be no lower than 4th. The original comment is not logical. Both cannot be true. Either our place in the conference matters or it doesn’t matter if we win next week.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I don't think Alamo will happen now. Get to Orlando or Houston and I'll still be happy with that

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
I don't think Alamo will happen now. Get to Orlando or Houston and I'll still be happy with that
If it’s just us and the Fighting Dana Holgersons left I’d say we have a real chance at Alamo. Texas or OU getting into a New Year’s 6 game is obviously the key to bump everyone up one spot.
Orlando would be a decent consolation prize but in the scenario above am I crazy thinking Alamo would take us?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
And we are going to be no lower than 4th. The original comment is not logical. Both cannot be true. Either our place in the conference matters or it doesn’t matter if we win next week.

Are you this way all the time or just hungover? Step away and come back when you can be nice. I feel like I'm talking to my 7 year old.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
IC Word games is looking like it might not happen. Will really need the KSU win if all we can get is 7-4. Lose and 6-5 might drop us like a rock.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Can JP afford to wait and see if IW loses next week, or does he need to get someone else lined up right now? If he can get someone else lined up now, I would do it and tell IW too bad.

As I've said before, I've heard rumblings that there will indeed be a game on Dec 1 in Jack Trice even if it's not IW.

Reactions: aauummm

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Cactus bowl would be disappointing, but I’d honestly rather land there than the Liberty in that scenario.

True, a 2000 Insight Bowl like crowd in PHX could be cool. Already eyeballing how that fits in with me planning to fly back from relatives on Christmas Day. Pecking order says Houston (ack) and Memphis (again?) are better but locales blow.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Suppose IW wins their playoff game...would it be worth scrambling for a replacement??

Then, GIVEN:
  • we are for sure out of the Big 12 game
  • TX and OU are likely not in playoff due to ND and therefore probably in Sugar and Peach bowl games
  • bowls can pick whoever they want as they go through the bowl order,
  • we have a head to head wins vs OkSt and WVU for a bowl to use to justify picking us before
  • we are attractive due to a good record and *hype* and traveling fan base hungry to spend $ somewhere warm...
...THEN will an earlier bowl pick us any sooner with an extra win over FCS IW-replacement vs one fewer wins and same spot in Big XII standings? If not, then maybe skip and avoid injuries?

AD is out a lot of ticket/concession revenues, but also out our fee to "whoever would replace IW". We'll probably play. But since bowl selection is so 'arbitrarily selective' how much will the +1 (assumed! :) ) win will help between 6/7/8 wins for (assuming ) Alamo/Camping World/Texas Bowls?

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Iowa State should stay ranked top 20ish with a win against KSU. That’s what bowl committees will look at, even if we don’t have that extra W.

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Are you this way all the time or just hungover? Step away and come back when you can be nice. I feel like I'm talking to my 7 year old.

I'm not the multiple posters that are convinced that we are going to lose to Kansas State and then to IC for god's sake.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If it’s just us and the Fighting Dana Holgersons left I’d say we have a real chance at Alamo. Texas or OU getting into a New Year’s 6 game is obviously the key to bump everyone up one spot.
Orlando would be a decent consolation prize but in the scenario above am I crazy thinking Alamo would take us?

Not crazy at all. If OU beats WV. OU vs UT in the Big 12 ship, both of those should make NY6. Leaving us and WV tied for 3rd and I think the Alamo would take us over them.