Official UT postgame thread

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Would better players matter that much if our scheme is terrible though?

People in the 1st half saying it was going to be different after the half when we got DM back were just kidding themselves. Even Walters and Heft knew at halftime that DM coming back wouldn't make much difference. Our OL couldn't block their DL, and our coaching staff had no answer whatsoever for Texas blitzing on nearly every down. That combination had our offense doomed all night no matter if we had Walter Payton in the backfield or not?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
This felt a LOT like the TOE game IMO.

We came in with a certain gameplan, and when Texas was blitzing us on nearly every down, we never strayed from our gameplan..... even though it wasn't working at all. TOE did the same thing, and it was like we had no idea how to beat a blitz, so we just kept running the same offense into a brick wall and made no adjustments.

And when you watch that on TV, it gives the impression like you aren't even "trying" to win the game. What you're doing isn't working, but you are either too stubborn or too dumb to try something else.

I will cry with joy the next time a team brings it's LBs on a blitz and we run our TE or slot WR on a quick slant over the middle into the area vacated by the LBs for an easy 10-15 yd gain. Or let the blitz come, just chip them a bit, and set up a screen. But we NEVER do those things. They bring all out blitzes and we still have our QB dropping back into the pocket and waiting for long outside passes to the sideline to develop and getting our QB killed.

Aaron Rodgers LOVES when teams blitz him. He destroys blitzes. ISU has no idea whatsoever how to make a team pay for it. KSU should bring the house on Purdy nearly every play until ISU makes them pay. And if ISU doesn't make they pay, ISU will lose.

Ffs did you watch the WV game they were bringing tons of people and we did pretty well against it. Texas is FAST on defense and Brock wasnt able to find receivers. UT played very well. Give them credit.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I can't say I was real shocked. The offense had been clanky for a few weeks so running into the amount of talent on Texas was going to be tough. We still don't seem to have anything to attack their pressure and they were able to rattle Purdy early. It felt a lot like last year. This staff needs another offensive mind in the room. This offense is far too simple and I just don't think it's good enough to win these big games, especially when the OL is bad. The motion can also stop if they aren't going to do anything with it. More than half of our motion is pointless.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Ffs did you watch the WV game they were bringing tons of people and we did pretty well against it. Texas is FAST on defense and Brock wasnt able to find receivers. UT played very well. Give them credit.
Agreed they get credit, but you are making his point, and my big concern from the game as well. TX is fast, so where are the screens, shallow crosses, maybe a trick play or two, etc. to switch up. The problem was TOE spread their LB's out and dared ISU to run up the middle and we did w no success. TX stayed aggressive and we kept running the plays that struggled against the aggressive D.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Was at the game yesterday. Depressing performance. As others said here, where are the screen passes and slants against the blitzes? I guess since we haven't had these plays all year, no reason to put them in coach thinks. I'll happily chug my beer the first RB screen pass I see against K State.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Agreed they get credit, but you are making his point, and my big concern from the game as well. TX is fast, so where are the screens, shallow crosses, maybe a trick play or two, etc. to switch up. The problem was TOE spread their LB's out and dared ISU to run up the middle and we did w no success. TX stayed aggressive and we kept running the plays that struggled against the aggressive D.

This is EXACTLY what Iowa did to us too. Texas evidently watched film from that game since Iowa held us to 3 pts. Texas basically held us to 3 pts too doing the same thing. We got 7 garbage points in the end when Texas didn't care anymore.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
I can't say I was real shocked. The offense had been clanky for a few weeks so running into the amount of talent on Texas was going to be tough. We still don't seem to have anything to attack their pressure and they were able to rattle Purdy early. It felt a lot like last year. This staff needs another offensive mind in the room. This offense is far too simple and I just don't think it's good enough to win these big games, especially when the OL is bad. The motion can also stop if they aren't going to do anything with it. More than half of our motion is pointless.
Agree 100%. It would be nice if we attempted jet sweeps. Since we don’t, that motion was almost a timing mechanism for Texas to blitz off that motion along with our snap counts. They definitely scouted our tendency there & T’d off on our OL & offense in general.

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
Last night was the 2nd year in a row where the Texas defense completely disrupted the Cyclone game plan. Our QBs had no chance in these games. Time to move on, but learn from the experience.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Last night was the 2nd year in a row where the Texas defense completely disrupted the Cyclone game plan. Our QBs had no chance in these games. Time to move on, but learn from the experience.

Good point.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Agree to ever get to a true Championship contender our OL has to get WAY better. Hopefully it eventually will be with the guys we currently have playing but I'm worried it might not happen till we get better recruits in those spots which unfortunately OL's take a good bit of time to groom.

Yes this is a young team but I'm worried what's going to happen when Montgomery & Butler leave (guessing after this season). At ISU usually just don't replace guys like that right away. Those are different type of dudes.
Had Montgomery been in the game at the start, there would have been less pressure on Purdy. Our TOP would have been higher, game score lower. Maybe a chance to steal game. Montgomery getting himself disqualified was a killer.

• Winner
Reactions: Spanky and Blandboy

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I commented on this during the game. They saw something in tape. When we shifted our line their defense never moved. Our shifts are done to set things up. They never bit on it. Corned Purdy time and agin on the left side. That and our protection on that side was horrid.
There are designed plays that fake the ball left to the RB and roll to the right. Not every play, but would have helped.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Clonedude can be overly negative but he's definitely not wrong today. If your o-line is getting destroyed while the other team is bringing blitz every down, you adjust and make them have to lighten up on the pressure. ISU definitely did not do that at all. I think Purdy was just fine and actually I'm quite impressed with his play. He saved several sacks by throwing it away or extending the play with his legs. The kid had Texas defenders in his face or backside every single play it seemed. He can't punish the blitz if the plays aren't called to get receivers where they need to be. You can't blame a true freshman who only has 5 starts for any playcalling in my opinion.

It also wasn't our best defensive effort, but credit where credit is due, we still held them to 24 when to my eyes it felt more like a total stomping of our D. When I see their o-line just blowing back our d-line for 4+ yards at will, I can't believe that their score was so low. ISU also didn't finish tackles, but I think that has as much to do with the physical talent of Texas as it does with the quality of our defense. It's a shame that even at their most outmatched, our D put in a good effort like that and our offense couldn't help them out even the slightest bit.

Texas was fired up, at home, on senior day, with a LOT to play for. It's a shame that we lost the game, and hopefully the coaching staff studies and learns, as I think this loss is on them, and not the players. All in all I don't think this loss is anything to get too terribly upset about, as Texas is a talented team.

We just have to see what happens going forward. I do think it's time to get a true offensive coordinator, maybe. We're this far through the season and I really haven't seen much development in the offense. I'm not getting payed the big bucks, though, and maybe the coaching staff sees things that I just don't.\

Now, can we please for the love of craft beer beat Kansas State for once?