Patrick Mahomes

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I hope the Chiefs defense plays as well as it did against the Colts. I've said it all season, that defense is so bad that the Chief's offense will have to score 40+ most games to beat good teams. Two of the 3 other teams left just happen to beat the Chiefs this year the Pats beat them 43-40 and the Rams beat them 54-51.

The future for the Chiefs is very bright with Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce and that high powered offense but their focus this offseason better be focusing on improving their awful secondary and LB core through the draft and free agency. If they don't take the best defensive players on the board with nearly every draft pick their front office is stupid. They could use another RB and if the right one is there in the 2nd or 3rd round that would be a reasonable pick too, Montgomery would be a nice addition to that offense.

Not to make excuses, but the both the Cheifs vs Pat's and vs Rams were away games where there was added home edge. The Pat's were making a big deal over the beatdown they took at home versus Chiefs the prior year, and the Rams game had all kinds of hype due to LA unity for the fires and shootings. The Rams were all were gonna win this for LA.. not excuses for the Chiefs defense, but it is hard to beat a super emotionally amped home team.

On that note, I hope now that the playoff loss streak monkey is off Reid and the Chiefs back, they view fan support as energy not pressure as they have last few times.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The Chiefs defense is not great overall but they do get sacks (tied for league lead) and they do force turnovers when needed (after Sammy Watkins fumble Saturday, late in Ravens game).

Yes they are good at getting a pass rush but other than that they have been arguably one of the worse defenses in the league. Second worse in yards allowed at over 405 a game (2nd worst in passing yards allow and 24th in rushing yards allowed), 24th in points allowed at 26.3 a game. They committed more penalties resulting in a 1st down than any team and also gave up more 1st downs than any team, 25th in 3rd down defense and tied for 3rd worst in 4th down defense. If they weren't getting sacks they likely were giving up big chunks of yards or committing pass interference on bad coverage. Don't know how many times it drove me nuts how a team would get in the red zone and KC would get them to 3rd down then commit PI and give them the ball 1st and goal on the 1 yard line too.

Let's not put lipstick on a pig, the Chiefs defense has been horrible this year and how they played against the Colts was uncharacteristic of how their defense has played for most of this season and probably their best game defensively all year. I'm a huge Chiefs fan but I'm realistic that the only way they beat the Pats is either they score a ton of points or the defense plays another solid game. A Rams vs Chiefs super bowl would probably be another entertaining high scoring shootout because the Rams defense isn't much better than the Chiefs either.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Patriots will not win next week. Defensive players are too old to cover a QB who runs and scrambles out of pocket. 38-17 I bet.

Gonna be -5 at kick. Anything can happen. I'm a huge Chiefs fan though, and I'll admit I was 100% wrong about Mahomes, I was pissed they traded Alex Smith.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
As a Vikes fan first and (since I've lived here 23 years) Chiefs fan second, Mahomes has surprised me a ton this year. There was a ton of talk about how he had a gunslinger mentality and that we were going to see a big change in the amount of turnovers in comparison to Alex Smith. I thought the number of "wow" plays would be offset by the number of "why did he do that" plays. He has limited the number of stupid mistakes that I expected. I admit to being impressed.

He makes a lot of plays that broadcasters gush over, but he also gets some really decent help out of Kelce and Hill. Kelce makes some really tough catches on low thrown balls on crossing patterns and rarely breaks stride doing it. And Hill has displayed some great hands to go with his elite speed.

I'm expecting another shoot-out this weekend. Neither defense is very good, but both played above their bar last week.

I thought the Colts were going to give the Chiefs a game, but they looked woeful on offense. Here's hoping Brady spends a most of Sunday looking up at the cold Kansas City sky.

• Disagree
Reactions: casey1973

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I really ******* hope you're right. I am so sick of Brady and the Patriots. Always liked the Cheifs back to the Marty Schottenheimer days.

Haha I hope the Patriots win and it's not close but as I said earlier got to call it as I see it. Just being realistic.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2020cy