Players staying and leaving for 21-22 season

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.
As much as we love his escapability and pump-faking fools, Brock is at his best passing when he is clean and clear. Most of his picks (especially the WTF ones) are when he is running around being chased and trying to do too much. Like every other QB ever.

Agreed. His best throws, especially long throws are first/second read, clean pocket step-into-them kind of throws. These are pretty much the only deep balls that are on the money consistently. When it's a scramble drill deep throw, a throw where the pocket isn't clean, or even a throw where the timing is off just a bit, I think we all hold our breath.

His best games, I would argue are the games where he has multiple running plays or run/pass option keepers. I said this prior to the bowl game as and observation from the OU game (and the rest of his career). I think ever since his freshman year the coaching staff has been working on him becoming an elite throwing QB, trying to emphasize pocket passing. It seems to me (casually observing) that when he focuses too much on being that pocket passer (and not just being himself) that those games often are not his best.

We all know he's a gamer. He's going to fight to the limit (and beyond) to make a positive play. In situations where he tries to make a low percentage throw it's usually not pretty. If he uses his legs to attempt to make that low percentage play, often good things happen.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I
As much as we love his escapability and pump-faking fools, Brock is at his best passing when he is clean and clear. Most of his picks (especially the WTF ones) are when he is running around being chased and trying to do too much. Like every other QB ever.

It also would help (and we saw this a little bit more this year) having a dump off / safety valve (like to Breece, Brock, and ideally the tight ends) which should be a goal of ours anyway..... get our playmakers in space especially on longer developing plays. This could create a ton of room to operate underneath.

Additionally, we saw how important an improved Oline was this year in both the run and pass game (might have been our best overall Oline unit since McCarney). Can’t wait to see the year on year improvement in this group (and getting Downing back).

Last edited:
Reactions: HouClone

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
Watch this highlight video of butler from 2018 and the middle part of the video has 3 long passes that are beautiful balls and in stride.

I, too, miss Butler! What a stud. That being said, I was hoping to watch this video and be comforted by what I saw. Instead, I saw 3 times as many underthrown balls than not. Of the three longballs that were in stride, one of them probably would have been underthrown if not for the ridiculous holding that happened throughout the route. I love Brock. I think he is fantastic, but in order to reach the next echelon, he needs to be able to either develop his arm strength and/or refuse to throw off his back foot. Without that long ball, we will continue to see stacked boxes.

That being said, He was top 20 this year in pass completion percentage. I do think it is concerning that his yards per catch have dropped considerably (2018, Ranked 3rd at 10.2; 2019, Ranked 19th at 8.4, 2020, Ranked 46th at 7.2). That being said, we haven't been as reliant on the long ball, and our weapons have changed. Systematically driving down the field is really nice too.

I think that reaching the heights the team wants to reach will be in part dependent on this part of Brock's game developing. The nice thing is that I think he knows it, and he is not afraid of working hard!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’m torn. I want to agree and disagree.

What you said is true. But once Brock settles in and is in the zone, he makes some magnificent throws—no matter how many defenders he has to slither through to find a hesrtbeat of throwing room.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Just a note of interest skylar Thompson of Kansas state announced today he is coming back for another year taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility along with 4 other seniors for the mild cat’s.

• Informative
Reactions: nrg4isu

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Just a note of interest skylar Thompson of Kansas state announced today he is coming back for another year taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility along with 4 other seniors for the mild cat’s.
Today? He announced that a while ago.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron