Saw this sign in Lowe's over the weekend ...

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Menards is cheaper.

FIFY. For most home improvement jobs, Menards works fine. I'm not using the tools often enough to justify DeWalt for most items. I have a DeWalt impact driver and drill, but other than that everything else comes from Menards or Farm and Fleet.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
FIFY. For most home improvement jobs, Menards works fine. I'm not using the tools often enough to justify DeWalt for most items. I have a DeWalt impact driver and drill, but other than that everything else comes from Menards or Farm and Fleet.
Fleet Farm sells those brands I listed though. I just am always surprised a company the size of Menards for the most part only sells house branded power tools (I know they have some Bosch but not much).

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Don't believe so. They do sell cupped, checked, and twisted lumber though...

I'm only half kidding, some of the stuff is fine and easier on the budget...
Yep it is. I mean if you need a bunch of drywall/nails/etc Menards makes so much sense. But so much of their stuff is Chinese crap tools, frozen pizzas, and cheap toys.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Yep it is. I mean if you need a bunch of drywall/nails/etc Menards makes so much sense. But so much of their stuff is Chinese crap tools, frozen pizzas, and cheap toys.

But that's the point. If you need a tool for a specific project that you may not use often, those cheap Chinese crap tools work just fine. It's the reason that Harbor Freight exists also.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
But that's the point. If you need a tool for a specific project that you may not use often, those cheap Chinese crap tools work just fine. It's the reason that Harbor Freight exists also.
Yes but Harbor Freight isn't also selling conduit, Pex, shingles, trusses, etc.
No problem with selling a cheaper line of tools at all IMO, I just don't get the mentality of not selling a major brand to go along with it.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The quality of staff at each store varies so while Menards in your town might be awesome (knowledgable staff, well-stocked shelves, etc) it might suck in the next town. Same for HD/Lowe’s/etc in my experience.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Yes but Harbor Freight isn't also selling conduit, Pex, shingles, trusses, etc.
No problem with selling a cheaper line of tools at all IMO, I just don't get the mentality of not selling a major brand to go along with it.

I always find it weird that a Wisconsin based company doesn't sell Milwaukee tools.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The quality of staff at each store varies so while Menards in your town might be awesome (knowledgable staff, well-stocked shelves, etc) it might suck in the next town. Same for HD/Lowe’s/etc in my experience.
That can be true, but like I said when it comes to power tools, you can't buy those brands at any Menards which you can at the competitors.