scclone and kc_clone - Opinions on S&C Coach?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
You guys were both pretty critical of the previous strength and conditioning staff, well at least after they were gone. I'm curious about what you guys think of the new hire. I haven't seen any posts from ya'll on the topic...

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I am not those guys, but from what I have read about him I like the hire. I am really looking forward to the thing where he opens up the weight room for a night and lets people watch them lift.

kc_clone

Apr 16, 2006
Yancey is very well respected by his peers and his players. He also uses the Tier system which shows he puts effort into designing his programs.

The tier system promotes training athletes on a rotation of movements (total body, upper body, lower body) rather than training body parts (i.e. Sheppard's 45 minute bicep workout). The result is an integrated, "whole-body" strength training program with greater real-world and sport-appropriate applicability. It also involves varying the rep range weekly.

The bottom line is, the Tier system has a lot of components and takes a lot of time to understand. The lazy strength coaches don't use the Tier system.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Rice Notebook: Owls lose strength coach to Iowa St. | Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Presented with an opportunity to work for a Big 12 program in a city near his wife’s hometown and at a significantly higher salary, McKnight accepted an offer to serve as the strength and conditioning coach at Iowa State over the weekend. McKnight cleaned out his office Monday and departed for Ames after conducting an emotional meeting with many of the players who clamored for his return two years ago.

He took more than 90 seconds to say bye. That is good.

Last edited:

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
thanks for the article wesley. i had not had a chance to read much about coach McKnight...sounds like he was more than respected. players lobbied, successfully, to get him back when he left for tulsa and AD even said they did everything they could financially to keep him this time too.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We are impressed that he was hired over the phone and may not even have applied under the first advertizing period until Tom Herman was picked. His backup will say a lot on where we are headed. Looks like all the coaches have some Iowa connections at some point....

scclone

Dec 13, 2008
You guys were both pretty critical of the previous strength and conditioning staff, well at least after they were gone. I'm curious about what you guys think of the new hire. I haven't seen any posts from ya'll on the topic...

I personally was hoping for a certain former clone to get the job, but obviously that didn't happen. That being said, this is a good hire by CPR and it's definitely an upgrade to what the program had. There will be structure, sound philosophical programming, and someone riding their but to strive for a Big North title. It's unfortunate that they couldn't make this hire sooner because the guys have lost out on two weeks of training.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Two weeks of missed training is better than then next few years under the wrong guy. Good hire.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Rice Notebook: Owls lose strength coach to Iowa St. | Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Presented with an opportunity to work for a Big 12 program in a city near his wife’s hometown and at a significantly higher salary, McKnight accepted an offer to serve as the strength and conditioning coach at Iowa State over the weekend. McKnight cleaned out his office Monday and departed for Ames after conducting an emotional meeting with many of the players who clamored for his return two years ago.

Kaylee Manns, ISU VB, mentioned at bottom of the same article. :notworthy:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It sounds like Rice was pretty happy with him. I know nothing about S&C coaches, so it is at least nice to know someone else wanted him to stay. Just like GC, PR will hire his guys and live or die with the results. So far PR looks like he is finding guys that want to build something at ISU.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield

That is an impressive article for sure. Hard to argue that this wasn't a great hire.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Two weeks of missed training is better than then next few years under the wrong guy. Good hire.

Players got workouts for over the holiday break and have also been working out under supervision since the start of the semester. Coach Rhoads is not waiting around and neither were the players. But yes, good hire. People keep touching on the fact that he has Iowa ties...there is also another common factor with Rhoads coaches, passion. Rhoads brings it himself and it seems as though the other coaches have the same feeling.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
You know, all these Iowa connections with these guys really shouldn't be a concern, because I believe the majority of them have already created in-roads in the south in either Florida or Texas, and they also know what they are getting into weather-wise, state-wise, and fan passion-wise. CPR has already shown more passion then GC ever showed, and I would imagine that passion is shared by the rest of this staff. The Iowa guys have the experience, passion, loyalty, and drive to turn this around and stick around to get us to the next level.

It's not like these guys were the high school coach at Pella or Albia and stepping up to the big-time, or even Central or Wartburg. They have left, made a name, and are now back to prove themselves and kick some backsides.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I personally was hoping for a certain former clone to get the job, but obviously that didn't happen. That being said, this is a good hire by CPR and it's definitely an upgrade to what the program had. There will be structure, sound philosophical programming, and someone riding their but to strive for a Big North title. It's unfortunate that they couldn't make this hire sooner because the guys have lost out on two weeks of training.
Dave McCarty?:jimlad:

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I have no problem at all with Iowa connections as long as the coaches a qualified and good. As matter of fact it's plus then as they have more incentive to stay here rather than go to greener pastures which seems to have happened a lot to ISU in the past.

We'll know more in a few years, but glad to see Scclone and kcclone think he's good.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron