Spring football season

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
So wrong... Masks will only delay the whole thing at best. Leave the masks to only the most vulnerable and let the rest of us build some immunity.

Spain's coronavirus antibodies study adds evidence against herd immunity

Spain's large-scale study on the coronavirus indicates just 5% of its population has developed antibodies, strengthening evidence that a so-called herd immunity to Covid-19 is "unachievable," the medical journal the Lancet reported on Monday.

The findings show that 95% of Spain's population remains susceptible to the virus. Herd immunity is achieved when enough of a population has become infected with a virus or bacteria -- or vaccinated against it -- to stop its circulation.

There have been similar studies in China and the United States and "the key finding from these representative cohorts is that most of the population appears to have remained unexposed" to Covid-19, "even in areas with widespread virus circulation," said a Lancet commentary published along with Spain's findings.

"In light of these findings, any proposed approach to achieve herd immunity through natural infection is not only highly unethical, but also unachievable," said the Lancet's commentary authors, Isabella Eckerle, head of the Geneva Centre for Emerging Viral Diseases, and Benjamin Meyer, a virologist at the University of Geneva.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/spain-coronavirus-antibody-study-lancet-intl/index.html

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I don't see football on the college level happening at all. To many things. Pro football I think will be played. Those players are not in class everyday. They have more money to build different things like quarantine buildings and so on. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I bet a lot of schools have to give up football if no season is played. The losses will be to big.
Agree with most of this but I don’t think it’s football they’d give up. Not big schools anyway. They’ll need it to recover.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Agree with most of this but I don’t think it’s football they’d give up. Not big schools anyway. They’ll need it to recover.

The early dominoes are already in motion. Some are still in denial but the odds of this season happening get slimmer by the day. And with some schools starting to move back to online-only for this fall, it'll be hard for those schools to argue the student-athletes should be on campus when the campus is pretty much closed.

All it will take is a couple P5 schools saying theyre cancelling and everyone else will fall pretty quickly after that, much in the same way things happened when the basketball tournaments got cancelled.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I bet a lot of schools have to give up football if no season is played. The losses will be to big.

The early dominoes are already in motion. Some are still in denial but the odds of this season happening get slimmer by the day. And with some schools starting to move back to online-only for this fall, it'll be hard for those schools to argue the student-athletes should be on campus when the campus is pretty much closed.

All it will take is a couple P5 schools saying theyre cancelling and everyone else will fall pretty quickly after that, much in the same way things happened when the basketball tournaments got cancelled.

I’m saying the big schools aren’t going to drop football in response to there being no season this year. I agreed with the rest.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I’m saying the big schools aren’t going to drop football in response to there being no season this year. I agreed with the rest.

Ah, i get you. Yeah, football drives the bus, so it will be back as soon as possible.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
And there's something wrong with that?

You mean like keep it at bay until it weakens or fades or a vaccine becomes available to the masses?

You think people that are just out 'building some immunity' are going to be cognizant enough to not put themselves around the vulnerable?

Yes, a vaccine may never come along... No one has ever created an RNA virus vaccine, at least a safe and effective one. Hello, where is the HIV vaccine?

Slowing it down just means more quarantines, no schooling or sports, or people still freaking out, etc. Just how long are you willing to wear a mask? Talk about making one giant mess, that will do it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Spain's coronavirus antibodies study adds evidence against herd immunity

Spain's large-scale study on the coronavirus indicates just 5% of its population has developed antibodies, strengthening evidence that a so-called herd immunity to Covid-19 is "unachievable," the medical journal the Lancet reported on Monday.

The findings show that 95% of Spain's population remains susceptible to the virus. Herd immunity is achieved when enough of a population has become infected with a virus or bacteria -- or vaccinated against it -- to stop its circulation.

There have been similar studies in China and the United States and "the key finding from these representative cohorts is that most of the population appears to have remained unexposed" to Covid-19, "even in areas with widespread virus circulation," said a Lancet commentary published along with Spain's findings.

"In light of these findings, any proposed approach to achieve herd immunity through natural infection is not only highly unethical, but also unachievable," said the Lancet's commentary authors, Isabella Eckerle, head of the Geneva Centre for Emerging Viral Diseases, and Benjamin Meyer, a virologist at the University of Geneva.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/spain-coronavirus-antibody-study-lancet-intl/index.html

Spain has had one of the most locked down responses. But yeah, we are going to have to learn to live with this thing. Nobody freaks about the flu every year, well they try more and more each year but its been around a long time.

If you get to 5% then you can get to 50% and more.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Florida did just announce that they are going to be open.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yes, a vaccine may never come along... No one has ever created an RNA virus vaccine, at least a safe and effective one. Hello, where is the HIV vaccine?

Slowing it down just means more quarantines, no schooling or sports, or people still freaking out, etc. Just how long are you willing to wear a mask? Talk about making one giant mess, that will do it.

No RNA virus vaccines? Then what have we been using for measles, mumps, the flu, etc.?

And why are people still comparing HIV and a coronavirus? Is this February? Did HIV become airborne and start killing people in three weeks' time?

From what I've found, no one has gotten through the 3rd phase of a vaccine as they faded before it started, like the O.G. SARS. That's potentially going to happen here, which would be great.

Talk about freaking out...

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Spain has had one of the most locked down responses. But yeah, we are going to have to learn to live with this thing. Nobody freaks about the flu every year, well they try more and more each year but its been around a long time.

I can't believe this is still happening.

Reactions: Lewey24 and Cyclad

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Doesn't that increase the number of people dying by a factor of 10? That's pretty dark.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
No RNA virus vaccines? Then what have we been using for measles, mumps, the flu, etc.?

And why are people still comparing HIV and a coronavirus? Is this February? Did HIV become airborne and start killing people in three weeks' time?

From what I've found, no one has gotten through the 3rd phase of a vaccine as they faded before it started, like the O.G. SARS. That's potentially going to happen here, which would be great.

Airborn HIV

2020 ain't over yet. Somehow the spin will still be that we don't need masks....

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Airborn HIV

2020 ain't over yet. Somehow the spin will still be that we don't need masks....

Let's see:
Covid
Murder Hornets (awesome name, btw)
Genetically created mosquitos
Ebola type thing going around rabbits
Dust cloud sweeping across the country
Riots/protests

Add in some airborne HIV and we're golden!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Doesn't that increase the number of people dying by a factor of 10? That's pretty dark.

And since people have been hanging out and gathering plenty even during the 'lock downs', we're looking at what, 2-3 years to reach 50% immunity, if it even exists?

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Look like US 3 day moving average is down as are 3 day moving averages in Texas and Arizona. Things could be trending a bit better soon but I wouldn't expect much coverage of good news.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Look like US 3 day moving average is down as are 3 day moving averages in Texas and Arizona. Things could be trending a bit better soon but I wouldn't expect much coverage of good news.

Less testing over the weekend. It always goes down at the beginning of the week which is why the 7 and 14 day averages are better indicators.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
And since people have been hanging out and gathering plenty even during the 'lock downs', we're looking at what, 2-3 years to reach 50% immunity, if it even exists?

They are proposing even more lock downs and masks which only lengthens the time required. I was proposing that we just let it work through naturally which will speed the process up. It's the only way to get to "herd immunity" without the vaccine.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020

Many vaccines use inoculated live virus, not RNA. RNA vaccines are largely unproven yet.

Regarding SARS, I believe the SARS vaccine failed because it grow so poorly in eggs and then things died down.

Also, many of the current coronavirus vaccines target the spike protein which has been proven to mutate over time.

Vaccine development and production is really hard. Many of the leading candidates are from companies that have never brought a product to the market.

You should be hopeful but effective vaccines capable of large scale production could be years away.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020

Help Support Us

Become a patron