Spring football season

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Look at the John Hopkins graphs. It's clearly more than a "weekend effect." The US numbers are actually a 5-day moving average.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states/arizona

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states/texas

Downward trends are great. Hopefully it continues and brings the 7 and 14 day trends down as well. For now, it looks like a "holiday weekend effect".

% positive is still increasing. This is straight from the John Hopkins website.

Attachments

• newplot.png
    newplot.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They are proposing even more lock downs and masks which only lengthens the time required. I was proposing that we just let it work through naturally which will speed the process up. It's the only way to get to "herd immunity" without the vaccine.

In a world where we can't meet basic expectations of a business that we choose to shop at (masks) we can't rely on low-risk people to help protect the vulnerable. We're too reckless, careless and selfish and think wants are needs.

And it would still take a lot of time vs. our 'I want it now!' culture...if I'm reading this correctly (likely not) the 'let it burn through' heroes are not showing huge numbers of positive antibody results.

Some regions higher and based off of small samples, but no one is even close to something like 50%.

Positive is their cases/deaths have gone way down but I'm not sure where they are currently for shutting things down/social distancing etc. either.

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/sweden...fection-antibody-tests-in-blood-donors-98648/

Analysis of samples collected at Week 21 shows that antibodies to covid-19 are detected in 6.3 percent of the studied population. Antibodies continue to be lowest among older adults 65-95 years with 3.9 percent and higher among adults 20-64 years with 7.6 percent and among children 0-19 years with 7.5 percent.

Data at the regional level is presented only for Stockholm, Västra Götaland and Skåne as the number of samples collected for the other regions is less than 100 and therefore cannot give reliable results. In the Stockholm region, Week 21 had the highest proportion of antibody positives with 10.0 percent, followed by Skåne with 4.5 percent and Västra Götaland with 2.7 percent.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Many vaccines use inoculated live virus, not RNA. RNA vaccines are largely unproven yet.

Regarding SARS, I believe the SARS vaccine failed because it grow so poorly in eggs and then things died down.

Also, many of the current coronavirus vaccines target the spike protein which has been proven to mutate over time.

Vaccine development and production is really hard. Many of the leading candidates are from companies that have never brought a product to the market.

You should be hopeful but effective vaccines capable of large scale production could be years away.

Ok but we have vaccines to ward off viruses that are fit into the 'RNA' category like measles, correct?

Just read up on it that SARS had complications with animal trials. So far I've read nothing about that happening with the Covid vaccine.

SARS 1 was relatively way contained and essentially faded after about 6-7 months...let's see what happens with this one.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
RNA in this sense refers to the type of vaccine, not the type of virus. We don't currently use any RNA based vaccines to prevent disease.

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/rna-vaccines-are-coronavirus-frontrunners/4011326.article

Thanks for the link to the details. I knew that I'd heard it before but that is more in-depth. It amazes me how people just hear the word vaccine and just assume they are all the same.

The whole idea of these RNA "vaccines" scares the heck out of me. Sure, alter my muscles DNA to produce new proteins. What could possibly go wrong?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
RNA in this sense refers to the type of vaccine, not the type of virus. We don't currently use any RNA based vaccines to prevent disease.

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/rna-vaccines-are-coronavirus-frontrunners/4011326.article

Right and what I'm trying to say is that as far as I can tell we have found vaccines, regardless of what type they specifically are, to ward off RNA-based viruses.

Are all of the vaccine candidates for Covid RNA-based? Asking, not arguing.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
So wrong... Masks will only delay the whole thing at best. Leave the masks to only the most vulnerable and let the rest of us build some immunity.
Not to be controversial, but is 'immunity' still an option? In other words, has it been verified you can't get it multiple times? If so, please link. I'd love it to be true, but not without factual evidence weighing tests per capita.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Not to be controversial, but is 'immunity' still an option? In other words, has it been verified you can't get it multiple times? If so, please link. I'd love it to be true, but not without factual evidence weighing tests per capita.

No, it's really hard to absolutely say one way or the other. But it doesn't really matter if there is no immunity, because if that's not possible then we better get used to this thing as it's never going away. I think it's highly likely that anyone that has had it will be mostly immune for a decent period of time and that will wane. And if you do get it again it's unlikely to be nearly as bad as the first time.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No, it's really hard to absolutely say one way or the other. But it doesn't really matter if there is no immunity, because if that's not possible then we better get used to this thing as it's never going away. I think it's highly likely that anyone that has had it will be mostly immune for a decent period of time and that will wane. And if you do get it again it's unlikely to be nearly as bad as the first time.

If we can still keep getting it then that also means we have to keep our vulnerable sheltered if we want to protect them.

I'm going to try to keep getting antibody tests to see if I still get positive results. There's quite a bit of stuff about how they tend to not last very long, but then T-cells can still possibly fight it off.

We'll see how all of this goes. Edging around 1,000 deaths nationally today for the first time in about a month after trends were way down and the holiday weekend couldn't have influenced the reporting that much since we hadn't been over 900 in over two weeks.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Only one thing that's any different between next spring and this fall and it has nothing to do with sports. Makes no sense.

The one thing being a potential vaccine. It seems like that might make a difference.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Ivy League cancels. Dominos are gonna start falling. Guessing spring football is gonna be what all teams try and do
The Ivy League loses money in their athletics all together. This saved them money in all reality. It's not a shock they did this. The big time conferences could certainly cancel or move their seasons to the spring but it's not going to be because the Ivy League did.

CycloneVet917

Jul 9, 2020
Depending on the numbers if you can start in fall you should. Fit in what you can and maybe by then numbers are better and we get the whole thing in... if not we can pause and continue later. Doesn't make sense to punt until you have to.