State track meet qualifiers/ISU FB recruits

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Video interview at Shenandoah KMA radio site with ISU track recruit Chase Mullenix and his Atlantic teammates after winning the state title in the distance medley relay. And below that, an interview with ISU track recruit Janette Schraft of Glenwood after winning gold in 400 meter hurdles; and much further below, another interview with Janette after winning gold in the 3000.

http://www.kmaland.com/sports/video...cle_955dfe8c-7800-11e9-a466-9f761950a532.html
KMA keeps adding videos to the top of the above link, moving those already posted down.

In a new video titled SHUTTLE HURDLE RELAY, they interview the boys Fremont Mills team at the end, beginning at about 8:30, which includes 2021 ISU football recruit Seth Malcom. F-M DQed in the Class 1A finals. Malcom talks a bit about his injury, which kept him out of competition until recently.

Central Decatur won gold in that event, which included 2020 ISU football commit Cole Pedersen.

Just below that, under 800 METER RUN, they talk again with ISU commit Janette Schraft, after she won the 3A 800 meter run. Just prior to Schraft, there, they talk to Emma Lucas of Bedford, who besides winning the 1A 800 this year, won gold in the 1A 3000 last year -- the only event in which Schraft won silver when she ran for East Mills, before transferring to Glenwood this year. I believe I read somewhere that Lucas will run for Kansas State in college.

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
So per the latest video, GLENWOOD STATE CHAMPS, ISU commit Janette Schraft wins the 1500 for her 4th gold this meet, after getting 3 last year, and Glenwood wins the state 3A team title, it sounds like by half a point. It also sounds like they haven’t been able to run on their high school track because of the Missouri River flooding.

Congratulations, Glenwood and Janette Schraft! What a way to finish!!

Video interview at Shenandoah KMA radio site with ISU track recruit Chase Mullenix and his Atlantic teammates after winning the state title in the distance medley relay. And below that, an interview with ISU track recruit Janette Schraft of Glenwood after winning gold in 400 meter hurdles; and much further below, another interview with Janette after winning gold in the 3000.

http://www.kmaland.com/sports/video...cle_955dfe8c-7800-11e9-a466-9f761950a532.html

KMA keeps adding videos to the top of the above link, moving those already posted down.

In a new video titled SHUTTLE HURDLE RELAY, they interview the boys Fremont Mills team at the end, beginning at about 8:30, which includes 2021 ISU football recruit Seth Malcom. F-M DQed in the Class 1A finals. Malcom talks a bit about his injury, which kept him out of competition until recently.

Central Decatur won gold in that event, which included 2020 ISU football commit Cole Pedersen.

Just below that, under 800 METER RUN, they talk again with ISU commit Janette Schraft, after she won the 3A 800 meter run. Just prior to Schraft, there, they talk to Emma Lucas of Bedford, who besides winning the 1A 800 this year, won gold in the 1A 3000 last year -- the only event in which Schraft won silver when she ran for East Mills, before transferring to Glenwood this year. I believe I read somewhere that Lucas will run for Kansas State in college.

• Informative
Reactions: STLISU and Aclone

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
They counted the result after 7 laps.

https://www.nwestiowa.com/sports/by...cle_72c1780a-7b0b-11e9-9899-93b44d5359d4.html

Anderson also took to Twitter after the race, but his comments were far from disparaging to anyone.

“Being stripped of my first-ever state title hurts a lot, don’t get me wrong. But my identity does not come from the trophies that I have won or the ones that have been taken away. It comes from who I am in Christ. The main reason I run is to bring glory to His name, not to win state championships. I still love this sport, nothing will ever change that. I ran the absolute hardest I could today. I am proud of that race. At the end of the day it’s not about how we respond when life goes great it’s about how we respond when bad things happen to us. Congrats to Will he ran a great race.”

Classy sportsmanship from a Senior in High School!

George - Little Rock ended up winning their 1st State track title in school history with 5 guys!

https://siouxcityjournal.com/sports...cle_26f24935-0441-56af-8629-4fe57f5aa1cb.html

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
https://www.nwestiowa.com/sports/by...cle_72c1780a-7b0b-11e9-9899-93b44d5359d4.html

Classy sportsmanship from a Senior in High School!

George - Little Rock ended up winning their 1st State track title in school history with 5 guys!

https://siouxcityjournal.com/sports...cle_26f24935-0441-56af-8629-4fe57f5aa1cb.html
That’s pretty cool.

I don’t know if you are from northwest Iowa, but I saw that Sergeant Bluff-Luton (outside of Sioux City) in 3A also won their first title. I knew I had heard that name before and looked it up and saw that both their football and boys basketball teams made it to state last year. I wonder if they are going to see continuing success in multiple sports.

Their track coach is young and had a nice college career at Morningside. Monte Larsen ran HS track at Neola Tri-Center (outside of Council Bluffs) and I’m sure that’s why SB-L got so much coverage in the 3A article in the Council Bluffs newspaper:

Glenwood Rams reign by a half-point: Relay's close fourth-place finish clinches girls 3-A title in final event
https://www.nonpareilonline.com/spo...cle_f7e7db13-ee8d-59e6-952c-1dd3ed135787.html

Western Iowa added a second team titlist in 3-A as Sergeant Bluff-Luton dominated by an 86-52 count over runner-up Dubuque Wahlert for its first state team title in any girls or boys sport.

The Warriors won seven of 19 events. Coach Monte Larsen said for perspective, the school had won only five event titles in the history of the school [be]for[e?] this year.

Sergeant Bluff was third, fourth and third in the team standings in the previous three years.

“We weren’t messing around this year,’’ he said. “What’s great about this group is they work their butts off when it’s track season. But they’re all in multiple sports throughout the year, and they’re lifting weights all year round and they really make our job easy as coaches.’’

The Warriors did it all despite not having senior Britton Delperdang, who was injured. He ran 49.54 last year at state to finish fifth in the open 400.

Junior Jorma Schwedler took the starring role. He became a quadruple gold winner with three victories on Saturday. He rallied the sprint medley relay team to victory with a sizzling 47.2 anchor, then added the 100 (11.20) and 200 (22.16) to the 400 title he won Thursday.

“When he sets his mind to something, he goes after it,’’ Larsen said.

Max Murphy won the 110 high hurdles (14.70), and he helped the Warriors to a win in the shuttle hurdle relay (59.63) by one-hundredth of a second over Carlisle. ...

(The Council Bluffs schools and some others in the Nonpareil’s coverage area might compete against Sioux City area schools; so they get covered in that respect, relevant, but not like a more local school.)

The linked article also covers the Glenwood girls 3A title (which I noted in a post above) and ISU recruit Janette Schraft‘s 4 golds!

ISU track recruit Chase Mullenix is also quoted at the end. His team, Atlantic, finished 3rd in 3A. Although they were in all four events Chase was in, again this year that they won last year, the team and Chase didn’t quite win all four like they did last year — one individual event and three relays. But still ... Chase finished 2nd in the 800 this year, and Atlantic won two of the relays, and finished 4th in the other.

Congratulations, Atlantic and Chase!

And best of luck to Chase and Janette at ISU!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron