Tailgating Hacks

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
As someone who has just gotten a parking pass what do I need to remember? Just looking to do something basic at least for now.

1. Dont leave your house without your parking pass.

2. If you get to the lots early, beware of the small number of people who believe they have "their spot". I've never run into this and dont think it's super prevalent but it could happen.

3. Alcohol.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale

2. If you get to the lots early, beware of the small number of people who believe they have "their spot". I've never run into this and dont think it's super prevalent but it could happen.

3. Alcohol.

We got beat to the spot we normally go to for the OKLA game last year. Guess how many other home games were lost last year? Plus their tailgate sucked in comparison.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
You should. It's life changing for pickle wraps, albeit at least double the price of shaved/chopped ham.

A absolutely deliscious dip can be made out of cream cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, and dill relish to resemble these pickle wraps. Use wheat thin crackers (or any off brand) to dip into it. Might not be as easy to eat at a tailgate but it is quite yummy and easy to make.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
As someone who has just gotten a parking pass what do I need to remember? Just looking to do something basic at least for now.

invite a friend who is a veteran tailgater. Say that you'll buy the food and drinks if they bring everything else and manage it for you.

Or just park for the first game, scout out your lot (surely you will get invited to someone's tailgate), and figure out what you want to do next time. You will have two weeks to get ready.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Does anyone use portable/automatic satellite dishes with DirecTV? I saw that they are apparently killing off one of the satellites that works with the Winegard Carryouts... so, do they still work right now, or...? I know on DTV they aren't HD, but apparently that is potentially going to change in the future as part of this, too?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

3. Alcohol.

4. If you have a generator, make sure you bring fuel for it.

Had to go back to north Ames and grab it. Forgot that it was also empty. Filled it up and back at our tailgate in around 30 minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
4. If you have a generator, make sure you bring fuel for it.

Had to go back to north Ames and grab it. Forgot that it was also empty. Filled it up and back at our tailgate in around 30 minutes.

And make sure to fill up the generators for those who stay at the tailgate. Both of our generators ran out of gas toward the end of the 4th quarter. Oops.