The Fran fade

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Bart Torvik has them #89 nationally next year without JW, JoBo, and Garza.

1618500571731.png

Imagining those guards that no-showed for the Oregon game having to carry a team...

Well, it probably won't go well.

Keegan Murray is a pleasant surprise, though. I did not expect this much out of him so soon.

To be fair, Bart Torvik hates us right now, but...

1618500643185.png

-- we are still probably going to add to this
-- doesn't have Grill for some reason
-- the projection on Hinson and Foster (especially) are very bearish given their injury histories
-- assuming those two are back and playing well, this projection improves a lot
-- I would just expect some general improvement throughout the roster, too

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

View attachment 84146

Imagining those guards that no-showed for the Oregon game having to carry a team...

Keegan Murray is a pleasant surprise, though. I did not expect this much out of him so soon.

View attachment 84147

-- the projection on Hinson and Foster (especially) are very bearish given their injury histories
Bart Torvik really likes Ulis. Maybe Hawk fans aren't crazy to think he might be something...

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

View attachment 84146

View attachment 84147

I wonder how often a guard that is a top 40 player walking into a bad team has averaged <6 ppg. I'm going to guess not often. I'm going to guess that doesn't happen with Hunter.

If Hunter comes to a 2-22 team that doesn't have a PG and averages 5.7 ppg, he was a huge miss, not by this staff, but by 24/7 and basically everyone that evaluates HS basketball talent.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I wonder how often a guard that is a top 40 player walking into a bad team has averaged <6 ppg. I'm going to guess not often. I'm going to guess that doesn't happen with Hunter.

If Hunter comes to a 2-22 team that doesn't have a PG and averages 5.7 ppg, he was a huge miss, not by this staff, but by 24/7 and basically everyone that evaluates HS basketball talent.

This is true. The above projects Hunter to play 21.6 MPG and only score, as you said, 5.7 PPG.

This is where these projections are fraught. I doubt the BT model understands Hunter is really our only option at PG next year and he is likely to play 30+ MPG. I am sure he is going to take his lumps trying to play the lead guard role on what is essentially a brand new team in the Big 12 next year, but if that is his line...

He's trending towards a bust, or at least a late bloomer. And lots of people had him wrong.

So add Hunter to the "upside risks" the BT model might be missing for us next year.

Kalscheur finding his 40% shot again would be another one. His ORTG above of 96 is gross. But if he starts drilling threes at the same rate he did as an underclassmen, then that is going to shoot up into the 110 range.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

View attachment 84146

View attachment 84147

If I'm a Hawk fan I would pump the breaks on Murray. He was a nice boost of energy coming off the bench but he was also surrounded by a bunch of scorers. His life is gong to get a lot harder next season when teams key in on him more. He kind of reminds me of Aaron White. Bursts onto the scene but then just kind of fades into the background.

Reactions: Goclones1727

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
If I'm a Hawk fan I would pump the breaks on Murray. He was a nice boost of energy coming off the bench but he was also surrounded by a bunch of scorers. His life is gong to get a lot harder next season when teams key in on him more. He kind of reminds me of Aaron White. Bursts onto the scene but then just kind of fades into the background.

I'll take another Aaron White.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Yeah. Garza is probably the best player in program history. And Wieskamp should be in some sort of pantheon.

JoBo was a loudmouth and a turnstyle on defense, but the kid could shoot.

Life for "the rest of them" is going to get a whole lot more difficult without those guys around.

Dropping from a #2 seed to this...

1618502409315.png

...is certainly doing it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Murray clearly blew past expectations, and he was a very good player that was a nice Swiss Army knife guy, sans 3-point shooting. I think he will continue to be a good player for them. But next year is going to be tough on the returning guys, especially if JW does not return.

Some guys are great in certain roles. Some of those guys move up to fill bigger roles, and some guys have to continue to stay in a complimentary role to be really good. I think Murray will end up fitting that bill. I think he will be a very good player, but he's going to need always be something of a complimentary player in my opinion. I just don't imagine him ever being a guy that can either create his own shot, or be dominant in getting position and finishing like Garza.

And it's not a knock on the kid, some people can be great players, but have to be surrounded by the right guys. Ejim won conference POY while teams were gameplanning around Kane and Niang. As a fan of the game, I really like Murray as a player. He's the kind of guy that helps you win games, but I don't see him being too successful as a #1 or even #2 scoring option.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah. Garza is probably the best player in program history. And Wieskamp should be in some sort of pantheon.

JoBo was a loudmouth and a turnstyle on defense, but the kid could shoot.

Life for "the rest of them" is going to get a whole lot more difficult without those guys around.

Dropping from a #2 seed to this...

View attachment 84151

...is certainly doing it.
Is Weezer still in there?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Good time for this bump
Keegan fresh per 40
SeasonSchoolConfGGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
2020-21IowaBig Ten3145576.011.9.5064.98.0.6071.13.9.2962.93.8.75511.31.21.92.81.44.216.1

Melsahn fresh per 40
SeasonSchoolConfGGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
2010-11IowaBig Ten31317596.912.1.5726.912.1.5720.00.04.25.9.71411.10.50.62.23.44.418.0

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwins

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Well, that escalated quickly. Let me explain this is more simple terms. ISU makes fun of Iowa for being too white (also a type of racism but whatever), and now ISU is getting more white kids. simple observation on my part.

DazzlingPeriodicGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Macloney

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Good time for this bump
That's good info. I remember after Basabe's freshman year, there was talk on Hawk sites about him leaving after his sophomore year for the NBA. And don't get me wrong, he started great. He just never got any better. By the time he was a senior a segment of their fans had completely turned on him.

Reactions: JP4CY

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
That's good info. I remember after Basabe's freshman year, there was talk on Hawk sites about him leaving after his sophomore year for the NBA. And don't get me wrong, he started great. He just never got any better. By the time he was a senior a segment of their fans had completely turned on him.
Other than Garza (who had outside coaching), how many Hoks have improved much in the last 10+ years?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Collecting two paychecks is a good gig, if you can get it.

Remember when Hoks swore he was getting paid by the NBA at the same time he was in Europe?

That's right up there with the life changing money Uhtoff made in Hilton.... in one half of basketball...

Reactions: GTO

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron