This conference realignment stuff is all going to come full circle eventually

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
It doesn't make sense from that standpoint either.

The only reason I have ever cared about UT or Oklahoma games was because we were in the same conference. I care less, but still care, about teams from other conferences because they still exist on the same level of football. We may play them in the regular season, the postseason, or teams that we play may play them. That generates interest. A shared experience. We compete for the same things.

Almost all of that goes away if there is a super conference structure that cements that group (or groups) into a different plane of existence from where my team competes. I do not believe that I am anywhere near unique in that view.
You aren't alone in that view at all. I'm fact, you are likely in the majority. College football is more exciting and more entertaining when there are more programs able to compete.

But that isn't what the advertisers and media companies want. They don't want to worry about having 130 or 65 teams to manage, they only want the ones that give them the best return on their investment. They only want the ones with the biggest brands, the most fans, and the largest national appeal. They want the ones that will draw in advertising dollars, and will push away any that don't.

You are right, a whole lot of current college football fans are about to be left out, and left behind. But the advertisers and media networks either don't realize how many that could be and the impact that might have, or they don't care.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I wonder if Texas A&M, Colorado and Nebraska would be interested in coming back now that Texas is leaving ? this might make up for the loss in viewership. who knows, Fox may offer a good deal. we could use the monies from OU and Texas to help them leave their current Confrences. The Pac is a bad fit for Colorado, A&M is already up in arms over Texas coming to the SEC, and Nebraska hasn't had a fair deal with the Big since they joined. just saying

I wonder if Texas A&M, Colorado and Nebraska would be interested in coming back now that Texas is leaving ? this might make up for the loss in viewership. who knows, Fox may offer a good deal. we could use the monies from OU and Texas to help them leave their current Confrences. The Pac is a bad fit for Colorado, A&M is already up in arms over Texas coming to the SEC, and Nebraska hasn't had a fair deal with the Big since they joined. just saying

None of those teams are going to leave stability for instability and less money.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
I thought I remembered Oliver Luck, the WVU AD during WVU's admittance, giving advice to the Big 12 when he left for a role with the NCAA to learn from the Big East where they stayed pat - then folded later. He was right.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Please take Nebraska back.
XrPooe.gif

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
The only way we have long term stability is to negotiate all tv contracts for the P5 conference together and do equal revenue distribution across the entire P5. It won't happen, but until that happens there will always be scheming and planning to leverage a brand for more money.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

tenor.gif

Reactions: xboxfever

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Doesn't this describe the formation of the B1GSEC in 2035?

When the biggest of the big break off and form the super super conference
Drop conference football and do it the way Iowa High Schools do it. 8 team divisions realigned every 4 years. Division champ makes the playoffs. Other can schedule games late season if they dont make the playoffs. Dont ask me the details that is for the people that are in it to make money.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
People act like this hasn't happened before with college football, but it has. You had the split of D-1 football back in the late 1970s into D-1A (now FBS) and D1-AA (now FCS), and then through the 1980s you had the whole deal with the FCA. And then in the 1990s you had the dissolution of the SWC and the agreement of the Big 8 to pick up the "chosen" members to form the Big 12, which really got the dominos falling to where we are now.

The difference this time being ESPN's meddling, the sheer amount of money that's involved, and the number of truly large universities that appear to be getting the shaft this time.

As for ESPN, it just has this really slimy feeling that they're picking and choosing which particular schools they want to have involved and the rest can go die on the vine.

Football Championship Subdivision
Football Bowl Subdivision
Football Cash Subdivision

ISU has always participated at the highest level of college athletics for 100+ years. I don't think we understand what this new separation means, but it will not be good. **** ESPN forever for making college sports only about money and ratings.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Mizzou just quietly riding the tidal wave of SEC cash. Underperformed. Hell they don't even have an AD. He left with 2 years left on his contract. Dire Straits song for those Ozark hillbillies.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Mizzou just quietly riding the tidal wave of SEC cash. Underperformed. Hell they don't even have an AD. He left with 2 years left on his contract. Dire Straits song for those Ozark hillbillies.
If you're Mizzou, have fun with a home schedule of Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, TX: hello 2-10 most seasons.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron