Vegas Trip

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
We are planning on road tripping to the UNLV game on September 18, 2021. Fly in on Friday, Game Saturday, Tour Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and area for a few days, drive to San Diego and stay a week and then fly back to SW Iowa. We have never been to Vegas or the area but have been to SD several times. Any suggestions? Should we get a complete Vegas fly & stay package deal or book separately? Any thing on the Strip that stands out? Not in to gambling particularly but shows/acts would work. Appreciate any suggestions.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Me & the Missus. Empty nest. Have taken a road trip game in conference annually. Been to all the Big 8 stadiums. Have Baylor, Texas Tech & TCU left in the Big 12. The WVU trip stands out, people, campus and locale is all unique. Couldn't pass up this Vegas trip though. NFL stadium and never been to Vegas or Grand Canyon.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Not everything stays in vegas.
tenor.gif

• Winner
Reactions: SECyclone

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I understand some people are against it, but flying Allegiant is super cheap from DSM to Vegas.
I’m pretty lucky because my friends and I go quite a bit, and one of my friends gambles a lot more than I do but he gets us free rooms every time.

I always thought Treasure Island was the best bang for your buck, but last time I stayed at Park MGM and I liked it a lot. Obviously Caesar’s and The Bellagio are probably the top places, and also have the price tag.

Random suggestion I downloaded “My Vegas Slots” app, free to play. But you can earn some sweet deals in it. We got a BOGO buffet at Aria, and another coupon for free drinks at the buffet. Ate a ton of crab legs among other things, but literally saved at least $100 on just that dinner which was very enjoyable.

Hash house a go go was also a very good breakfast place.

For first timers just walking the strip awesome, spend at least one evening down on the old strip. The D on the old strip has a good priced prime rib dinner(at least they did the last few times).

One time I was down to $10(of my allotment for the day gambling) put it down at a $10 blackjack table(recommend going to a table with at least $100 lol) and managed to stay at that table for 3 hours getting so many free drinks I ended up losing it all. But starting with $10 there, having fun for 3 hours, and drinking a lot I’d say was worth it.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Wife and I took a trip to Florida years ago and 9 months late we had a daughter. I suggested Gator for a name but was overruled.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
We have twelve going. Made no reservations yet.

I inquired about a suite, but the smallest usually goes for $30,000. Yikes!!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
We are planning on road tripping to the UNLV game on September 18, 2021. Fly in on Friday, Game Saturday, Tour Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and area for a few days, drive to San Diego and stay a week and then fly back to SW Iowa. We have never been to Vegas or the area but have been to SD several times. Any suggestions? Should we get a complete Vegas fly & stay package deal or book separately? Any thing on the Strip that stands out? Not in to gambling particularly but shows/acts would work. Appreciate any suggestions.

I much prefer to stay on Fremont Street and avoid the strip except to catch some shows.

Reactions: CYCUB15 and Scott34

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Been 3 times but from the sounds of it you're planning on taking it in completely different than I have. Gambled a ton, drank a ton and bargained with randoms on the strip for deals on limo rides to strip clubs. Wandering up and down the strip is a trip in it of itself, Ceasars has a great sports book, Vdara is a great place to stay, New York New York is a maze. The Linq is good option for the price and there's an In and Out right around the corner that comes in handy.

For shows I would recommend looking into any Cirque du Soleil shows that are running.

If you're looking for a nice dinner, Andiamo is really good and not stupid expensive, probably $150ish for 2.

Help Support Us

Become a patron