WATCH: Mike Gundy previews Iowa State

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Very informal stuff. Still get the feeling that Mike thinks his team is way better than ISU and that the Clones just got luck 2 years ago. We will see what happens.

I am not sold that their defense is great, probably pretty good. They have played 3 teams that appear to not play good offense.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well this was pretty much coach speak. I was hoping for the "I'm a man" Gundy.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
OSU is a good team, but they haven't exactly done a great deal to earn their #6 ranking after just 3 wins over Tulsa, West Virginia, and Kansas. We'll be their toughest opponent to date, so I guess we'll find out if they really deserve that high ranking.

Will they be exposed like North Carolina was against Florida State last weekend? I sure hope so.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Anyone else think that format is awkward as hell? I mean I get it’s 2020. But that one kid was walking around as he’s asking questions. Like isn’t it a little more professional to be seated and act engaged?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It’s hard to have respect for him after this summer.

Hopefully they come out rusty after 3 weeks off. It would be a huge win for us.

• Disagree
Reactions: surly

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Not a shock to hear his comments on us. I mean, he's had our number. Almost every team in our league has a game or two where Heacock 's defense gave them fits...except for OSU. The Brock game we beat them was their worst team in over a decade and they still put up 42 on us. People don't like him for his off the field stuff but he's as good an offensive coach as anyone in this league, maybe the country , especially at drawing up big plays at the right time. Heacock's defense is great but it is simple and predictable, it forces the offense to play conservative, the key is to keep chipping away at it and not get out of your gameplan. Gundy has been able to balance that with taking shots deep better than anyone in our league.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
every compliment he gave us was prefaced or followed up with a slight dig. I mean he pointed at Parody as to why ISU may have been having success recently haha. His answer on why ISU was having success in the OSU round up video was a lot more buttoned up.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Not a shock to hear his comments on us. I mean, he's had our number. Almost every team in our league has a game or two where Heacock 's defense gave them fits...except for OSU. The Brock game we beat them was their worst team in over a decade and they still put up 42 on us. People don't like him for his off the field stuff but he's as good an offensive coach as anyone in this league, maybe the country , especially at drawing up big plays at the right time. Heacock's defense is great but it is simple and predictable, it forces the offense to play conservative, the key is to keep chipping away at it and not get out of your gameplan. Gundy has been able to balance that with taking shots deep better than anyone in our league.
Yeah Gundy has been cryptonite for the defense up to now. I'm optimistic that this changes on Saturday. It's no secret that stretch run plays and play action/RPOs off of them have been successful in the past. This year we've been better against the outside runs, and we have more speed now in the secondary, at least when Young is in. We're going to miss Isheem. Look for Gundy to try to take advantage of that early. And for Pete's sake, tackle Tylan Wallace.

For me, I'm concerned that all of our tape on Sanders is from last year. A player can change a lot from year one to year two.

Reactions: heitclone

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop

Agreed. The year ISU beat OSU was when OSU went 7-6. Since 2016 OSU averages 40.75 points against ISU. OU averages 37.75.

Help Support Us

Become a patron