WATCH: Mike Gundy previews Iowa State

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Correct me if I am wrong but outside of two big plays last year I think the defense played fairly well. I know Brock threw 3 interceptions and one of those was a pick 6. Okie State scored 34 points. That's a lot, but those three interceptions had something to do with it.
I believe two of their TD's were over 50 yards. Awful tackling on those plays.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah I think it was Chuba and Tylan Wallace, it was pretty horrific. Those were two big plays, but outside of that I thought the defense played okay. Good enough to give the offense a chance to win.
Oh for sure. The game was tied with 7.5 minutes left when Purdy threw the pick-6. We came up with a stop, another interception. Came up with yet another stop, another interception. Brock got into his head too much and tried to force feed Kolar.

I think the key to this game, like it's been throughout the course of this year, is to get Breece and mix in Nwangu in there as well. Make OSU stop our run. If we can do that, our passing game will be there.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Oh for sure. The game was tied with 7.5 minutes left when Purdy threw the pick-6. We came up with a stop, another interception. Came up with yet another stop, another interception. Brock got into his head too much and tried to force feed Kolar.

I think the key to this game, like it's been throughout the course of this year, is to get Breece and mix in Nwangu in there as well. Make OSU stop our run. If we can do that, our passing game will be there.
Yeah that's right. Such an aggravating game with Brock throwing the ball 60+ times. The coaches did not do him any favors with the play calling there.

I definitely agree. The coaches this year have shown more of a commitment to the running game, so I think that helps. I would feel really great if Breece and Kene can run the ball against Okie State like they have been this season.

convoluteme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that's right. Such an aggravating game with Brock throwing the ball 60+ times. The coaches did not do him any favors with the play calling there.

Yep, that's the game where Manning lost his mind and forgot we had a run game. I remember Woody talking about it the following week, that it's a mistake you don't make twice.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I definitely agree. The coaches this year have shown more of a commitment to the running game, so I think that helps. I would feel really great if Breece and Kene can run the ball against Okie State like they have been this season.
Another thing I think we've done a tremendous job of doing this year, particularly Brock, is spreading the wealth among the TE's. Defenses started to pick up on us last year hammering Kolar with touches. He's still leading the TE's in every category, but Brock is divvying it up more.

Chase already has over 1/2 the receptions as he did last year and 75% of the yards he had last year. Dylan has over half the receptions as last year and almost 50% of the yards he had last year.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Another thing I think we've done a tremendous job of doing this year, particularly Brock, is spreading the wealth among the TE's. Defenses started to pick up on us last year hammering Kolar with touches. He's still leading the TE's in every category, but Brock is divvying it up more.

Chase already has over 1/2 the receptions as he did last year and 75% of the yards he had last year. Dylan has over half the receptions as last year and almost 50% of the yards he had last year.
I totally agree, Brock has done a great job of this. Honestly Chase has looked great in the passing game so far this year. He's very athletic. I think Brock has been creating a better rapport with all of the pass catchers in the offense.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Since Matt has come to Iowa State. Every game against OSU is very close. I really don't see this game any different

They have more talent. We have the better QB. Whomever makes the lesser amount of mistakes will win.

2016 - Turnovers: ISU-3 to OSU-0 and ISU had more penalities. Lost by 7 despite being nearly identical yards gained and having more time of possession. ISU had a Carson Epps fumble and Jacob Park interception to blow a the lead. Park threw another interception in the fourth quarter.

2017 - Turnovers: ISU-1 to OSU-0. ISU more penalties and yards of penalty. Near tied in yards, and lost on the Zeb Noland to Marchie interception in the endzone

2018 - Both teams ha 2 turnovers. OSU had more penalties and yards of penalties. ISU picked off OSU late in the 4th quarter to keep it a 2 score game. Near garbage time touchdown and a nervous onside kick away from a 2 score victory. Near identical time of possesion

2019 - Purdy throws three picks in the fourth quarter... ISU dominated time of possesion as OSU didn't do much of anything other than 3 50+ yard touchdown scores (Tylan Wallace scored on this 70 yard screen pass with 4 Cyclones in the area to make a tackle 1603301487578.png

1603301520512.png

Anthony Johnson took a stiffarm to the facemask

1603301584207.png

Lawrence White somehow doesn't force him out...

2nd big touchdown pass came on another screen... Lawrence White got caught on a corner blitz so I'll give them this

1603301713121.png

Big Chubba run with a missed block in the back or holding on Marcel Spears and bad safety angles

1603301876095.png

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Since Matt has come to Iowa State. Every game against OSU is very close. I really don't see this game any different

They have more talent. We have the better QB. Whomever makes the lesser amount of mistakes will win.
I’m not sure this is true any longer. We might not have a Tylan Wallace, but we now have more talent on the OL than they do.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines

Whenever I think of that game I get PTSD and picture MC as Kurt Russell in Miracle with the whistle blowing and saying again after each pass attempt.

Last edited:

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
I’m not sure this is true any longer. We might not have a Tylan Wallace, but we now have more talent on the OL than they do.

Tier 1: UT and OU
Tier 2: TCU
Tier 3: BU, OSU and WV
Tier 4: TT and ISU
Tier 5: KSU and KU

HUGE drop between UT/OU and TCU. 39.17 points between Baylor and Iowa State. About a 42 point drop to KSU then 20 ish more to KU.

Campbell has really closed the talent gap nicely. But OSU still has more highly rated players and has a better history of success than we do

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I believe two of their TD's were over 50 yards. Awful tackling on those plays.

Pretty sure that was the game we put Elsworth out there at 50% and he was not able to erase 3 or 4 mistakes that he usually does. In general, tackling was not good in that game, but most of the time poor tackling is from guys getting out of position, or not getting there quite in time and having to reach.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Pretty sure that was the game we put Elsworth out there at 50% and he was not able to erase 3 or 4 mistakes that he usually does. In general, tackling was not good in that game, but most of the time poor tackling is from guys getting out of position, or not getting there quite in time and having to reach.
I believe you're right and think Greg tried "tackling" Tylan Wallace on his big touchdown play, but simply bounced off of him. Him playing hurt was a liability at times as he constantly slowed up to make tackles and winced before hitting guys.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

And Dylan has more pass completions than the entire TE room had last year.

;)

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Tier 1: UT and OU
Tier 2: TCU
Tier 3: BU, OSU and WV
Tier 4: TT and ISU
Tier 5: KSU and KU

HUGE drop between UT/OU and TCU. 39.17 points between Baylor and Iowa State. About a 42 point drop to KSU then 20 ish more to KU.

Campbell has really closed the talent gap nicely. But OSU still has more highly rated players and has a better history of success than we do
I’m not sure what you think HS ratings have to do with actual talent? It’s like looking at two eggs, and saying that one will be a better rooster than the other. OSU’s Sanders was much a much higher rated QB out of high school than Brock. I’ll take Brock hands down.

As far as “history of success”, that also has nothing to do with “right now”.

So, got any more fallacious arguments you’d like to toss out there?

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
I’m not sure what you think HS ratings have to do with actual talent? It’s like looking at two eggs, and saying that one will be a better rooster than the other. OSU’s Sanders was much a much higher rated QB out of high school than Brock. I’ll take Brock hands down.

As far as “history of success”, that also has nothing to do with “right now”.

So, got any more fallacious arguments you’d like to toss out there?

Ratings do matter. They matter a lot. To my earlier point. I agree that purdy is a lot better/proven right now but Sanders may have more talent, hence the higher rating.

History of success matters a ton. It's why it's so hard to win at ISU and why what CMC is doing can only be described as incredible.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Ratings do matter. They matter a lot. To my earlier point. I agree that purdy is a lot better/proven right now but Sanders may have more talent, hence the higher rating.

History of success matters a ton. It's why it's so hard to win at ISU and why what CMC is doing can only be described as incredible.
They matter very little, aside from crowing in signing day. What matters as far as actual team talent is what the player becomes two or three years later.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Not a shock to hear his comments on us. I mean, he's had our number. Almost every team in our league has a game or two where Heacock 's defense gave them fits...except for OSU. The Brock game we beat them was their worst team in over a decade and they still put up 42 on us. People don't like him for his off the field stuff but he's as good an offensive coach as anyone in this league, maybe the country , especially at drawing up big plays at the right time. Heacock's defense is great but it is simple and predictable, it forces the offense to play conservative, the key is to keep chipping away at it and not get out of your gameplan. Gundy has been able to balance that with taking shots deep better than anyone in our league.
The inexplicable INT's from Purdy late in the 2019 game were the difference.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

ISU coaches imo got caught up in their own defensive game plan. OSU gave up passing yards to the illusion that it was 'there' when they were still limiting what ISU could do.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron