WBB: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Cool image of entire team from team FB page today.

242073888_4472016866152211_782587238302153881_n.jpg

undersized_post

Apr 18, 2021
A few ISU-adjacent things about Iowa's schedule this year*:

-The Southern University Jaguars play Iowa in Iowa City on November 17th, four days before coming to Ames for their game against ISU on November 21st.

-Unsurprisingly, both Iowa and ISU also have in-state foes Drake and UNI in common. Drake plays Iowa in Iowa City on November 21st, three days after hosting ISU in Des Moines on November 18th. The UNI games are about a month apart -- the Hawks visit Cedar Falls on November 14th while UNI comes to Ames on December 12th.

-December 2nd is a big day for both school featuring Power 5 matchups. ISU plays LSU that day in the Big12/SEC challenge while Iowa plays Duke in the Big10/ACC challenge.

-Iowa plays future Big-12 member University of Central Florida at home on December 18th.

-For anyone interested in following Maddie Wise as she continues her career at IUPUI, you can catch them in Iowa City on December 21st.

*besides the obvious CyHawk game in Ames on December 8th lol

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Here's the full post.

BTW, something has changed with the embedding, you have to click on the little Facebook logo in the upper right to open the FB posting.

Last edited:
Reactions: StClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
A few ISU-adjacent things about Iowa's schedule this year*:
I just now noticed that this was posted by one of the resident Hawkeye fans at Rebkell. I'm assuming you're here because you've come to your senses and have switched allegiances, right? :)

Non-jerky fans of all teams are welcome here, although I make no guarantees for the days immediately following the Iowa-ISU game if ISU loses.

undersized_post

Apr 18, 2021
I just now noticed that this was posted by one of the resident Hawkeye fans at Rebkell. I'm assuming you're here because you've come to your senses and have switched allegiances, right? :)

Non-jerky fans of all teams are welcome here, although I make no guarantees for the days immediately following the Iowa-ISU game if ISU loses.

Can't say I've switched sides but you can consider me a friendly ambassador. :p Not here to stir up trouble.

And I'll add that I always root for ISU in every game but one. ;)

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Some bad luck for the Hawkeyes with their back up post and state of Iowa native Sharon Goodman tearing an ACL. She played in all of their games last year spelling Czinano. She looked pretty good for freshman in the games I saw. I hate seeing players hurt.

IOWA CITY, Iowa — University of Iowa women’s basketball sophomore Sharon Goodman suffered a season-ending torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) of her right knee in practice. The announcement came Thursday by P. Sue Beckwith head coach Lisa Bluder.

“We are sad to lose Sharon for the year and that she will have to undergo surgery to repair the ligament,” Bluder said. “I have complete faith in our medical care here at Iowa, and I know that Sharon will rehab hard after surgery and return to our team as strong as ever.

“Sharon was in the midst of a great off season and obviously would have contributed to her team on the court. Sharon is a great teammate and will still contribute to our team success, just in a different manner.”

Goodman, a Lime Springs, Iowa, native played in all 30 games last season, averaging 3.7 points, 2.1 rebounds, 1.6 assists, and 8.7 minutes.

- Hawkeye release

Edit:

Found this take from Coach Bluder. My dumb fan take from watching some games last year was not so far off.

LISA BLUDER: Sharon Goodman, that was a big loss. In our first practice this year, she unfortunately went down with an ACL tear. Sharon was playing great. Last year she shot 55% from the field, she was a tremendous backup to Monika because she was so strong. She was playing at a better level this year, this summer, than last year. So her game had really improved. I was really expecting big things from Sharon. Obviously with her now gone for the year, we'll be moving Addi O'Grady, who is a freshman, but is our tallest player on our roster at 6'4". From Denver, Colorado, had a great career there. She'll be moving into that backup position for Monika.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: undersized_post

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Didn't see this elsewhere, from big12sports.com

Baylor Chosen As Big 12 Favorite In Preseason Poll

Irving, Texas - For the 11th time since 2006, Baylor has been selected to win the 2021-22 Big 12 women’s basketball regular season crown, as voted on by the league’s head coaches. BU has tied or won 12 regular-season titles, including the last 11.

The Bears received seven first place votes (coaches are not allowed to vote for their own teams). Iowa State and Texas tied for second, with the Longhorns receiving two first place votes and the Cyclones earning one. West Virginia took over the fourth place spot, followed by Oklahoma in fifth, TCU in sixth and Oklahoma State in seventh. K-State and Texas Tech tied for eighth, while Kansas sits at 10th.

The 2021-22 season opens on Tuesday, Nov. 9 with a full slate of non-conference games. Big 12 play is scheduled to begin on Sunday, January 2.

2021-22 Big 12 Preseason Poll
Team (First-place votes)Points
1.Baylor (7)79
2.Iowa State (1)67
Texas (2)67
4.West Virginia58
5.Oklahoma44
6.TCU32
7.Oklahoma State30
8.K-State26
Texas Tech26
10.Kansas17
Coaches are not permitted to vote for their own team.

Reactions: C.John

Buckminster

Nov 10, 2017
The non-stars that I will be rooting for the hardest this coming season are Maddie Frederick and Izzi Zingaro. They just seem like two of the greatest people. I think I may have given up on the chances of Maddie being an all-conference selection, but my hopes will be with Izzi as she develops.