What common football idiom makes you cringe when you hear it?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I was a lineman for the last several years, I rarely held. My senior year of HS I was LT and the qb only got hit once due to my blocking. I know the higher the level, the more it happens but good lineman at their level don’t need to hold every play just to block.

A good lineman knows how to hold and get away with it.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
"Score the basketball."

Imagine "touchdown the football" or "goal the puck."
I'm only allowed to agree once but I'd hit that bad boy about 50 times on that, even if this is a football thread. Once you get to "score", end the sentence and you avoid redundancy.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I remember the good ole John Madden commentating. “ In order to win the game you need to score points. To score points you need to gain yards and get in the end zone or kick a field goal.” Ya think?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
When the announcers tell us 50 times during a review the difference between “the call on the field stands” and “ the call on the field is confirmed”. Who cares what language they use it’s the same result.

Also the “running down hill” thing came because the field at oklahoma used to have such a huge drop from the middle of the field to the sideline.

• Agree
Reactions: rbrook

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
I'm tired of hearing "RPO" this year. It doesn't bother me so much when the play is actually a RPO, but this phrase is used sooooo often during pre-game/gameday/talk shows, I can't stand to hear them talk about it anymore.

I don't mind the term, unless they then say what an rpo is. If you have to explain it just say the full saying.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Who ever came up with the term "running down hill" should be shot. That term is freaking dumb.
You realize that fields drain away from center and towards the sidelines. So the origin of the term is accurate but its modern usage may not be.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Mixing sports terms. "If he hits the receiver in the end zone, it's a home run." No, it's a touchdown.

4MOOU

Dec 16, 2010
Coralville, IA
Constantly reminding us that we're watching a football game. This is even something CMC says, in that he constantly refers to "our football team," as if we may confuse it for golf or cross country. But commentators do this incessantly, particularly at the pro level where they always refer to "the National Football League."

Do it sometime; watch a game and see how many times they say the word "football" for no reason.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not really a saying but in general it feels like commentators will compliment an obviously penalty for blue bloods, i.e. great pass coverage when an Ohio State player clearly has hold of the receivers' arm or something. And the tend to move on very quickly from the play like they know it wasn't right.

Similar to when Graysen Allen had already been scrutinized for his tripping and cheap plays. There was one incident where he CLEARLY kicked back at someone to the midsection and the ESPN talking heads completely brushed it off as purely incidental.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman and GTO

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Who ever came up with the term "running down hill" should be shot. That term is freaking dumb.
Woman-Falls-Down-Hill-on-Face.gif

Cat4ISU

Oct 11, 2008
Spencer, IA
The phrase "breathing room" is used almost 100% of the time a team gains a few yards after their first play from inside their own 5.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO