What common football idiom makes you cringe when you hear it?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Over the back
More like:
He plays within himself. (because the game is played in his descending colon)
He gives 110%. (because the dials all go to eleven)
He created the contact. (or in other words an offensive foul that wasn't called)
He lets the game come to him. (Why go to the arena when you can be sitting on your couch eating Fritos?)
He sold the foul. (He flopped better than Marcus Smart.)

Sorry, I know this is supposed to be about football.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
A relatively new phrase that has become very common: Concussion Protocol.

We get it. There is now a process in place. But do you have to say that so-and-so is "in the concussion protocol"? Just say he has a concussion, or may have a concussion, or is being evaluated for a concussion, whatever...

I don't know why, it really bugs me.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Several of these are grammar miscues, which makes my proper-grammar-loving self proud. And I can say that here without being castigated for being a grammar nerd.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I really dislike the "they are within 3 points..." Nope. They are down by three not within.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
“Catching the ball at its highest point”. In other words, they jumped up 20 feet and caught the ball at the apex? Unless, the QB is throwing a line drive, you will never catch the ball at its highest point.
I hate when broadcasters say “strenf” or “lenth” rather than “Strength” and “length”. This is more common in basketball. Just pronounce it correctly.
“He gave 110%”. Not only is it impossible to give over 100%, but why did he only give 10% more than what he is already capable of?

You hit the nail on the head for the ones I was going to mention. I hate the strenth and lenth. Did they not take speech class?

Yep, "I'm 160% committed." Oh? Ya don't say? lol....

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Referee language: "The previous play is under further review."

No, it isn't under further review. It hasn't been reviewed yet. It's under review.
In general I think all refs with microphones talk too much.

"Minnesota is challenging the ruling on the field, that the runner was down short of the line to gain."

How about,"Minnesota is challenging the spot on the previous play."

Maybe I'm the only one, but I grew up with a newspaper editor mother who stressed that less was more.

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
This is football related only because CMC uses the phrase all the time, but "I'll be honest with you."

I certainly don't think he means it like this, but when you use that phrase, it implies that other things you have said were/are not honest. Almost like he's saying, "Well usually I'd just lie to answer this question, but this time I'll be honest, [gives answer]."

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
"They wanted it more than we did" or "we wanted it more than they did."

(Italics are my emphasis):
"Brett Favre just loves to throw the ball around the yard. Brett Favre is a gunslinger who just loves to play the game of football."

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is football related only because CMC uses the phrase all the time, but "I'll be honest with you."

I certainly don't think he means it like this, but when you use that phrase, it implies that other things you have said were/are not honest. Almost like he's saying, "Well usually I'd just lie to answer this question, but this time I'll be honest, [gives answer]."
You should probably take it as, "Most coaches would just white wash the answer to that question but I'll be honest with you..."

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

A sibling to this is "if I'm being honest." Well, what if you AREN'T being honest? Then what?

Both phrases extend beyond sports and into general writing and conversation. To tell you the truth. :)

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
When a person uses the term "we" when talking about a football team.
For example: my mother-in-law, when talking about Nebraska football, will always say that "we are playing today" or "we won/lost the game".
My response to her is always "when did you start playing or ever play football for Nebraska?"

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron