Why Not This Year?...

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
Iowa
Reminder, I believe Gene Chizik is undefeated in Rival games including the Red River Shootout and the Auburn Georgia time. (someone tell me if I'm wrong on this)

This might be just me, but....

I'd put Chizik as *whatever it is*-1 in Rivalry games. I think you definitely have to consider one of last year's losses. Missouri is technically a rivalry game (after all, we do have a trophy for it), even though our fans might not consider Mizzou to be a big rival. If you don't want to count Mizzou, I think you need to count Nebraska.

Still, it's an impressive record. He obviously does know how to get the players fired up in those *special* games (EIU and OU last year). That's a useful talent if we (God willing) get to the Big XII title game with him at the helm.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Let me preface this entire entry by saying that ever since the day GC was hired I have circled the 2009 season as the "breakout" year for ISU. However the more I read and hear about both our team and the various updates on our opponents it really makes me pose the question "why not this year?".

I am not going to go crazy and predict a national title or anything completely out of the realm of possibility, so stick with me and let me know if I am crazy or maybe, just maybe, crazy like a fox.

SDSU: W
I think we have seen the end of losing to lesser competition in the non-conference games. Last year was heartbreaking early on, but we learned later in the year that the staff and team were not on the same page at the start of the season. They will not have that problem this year.

Kent State: W
As above we will start taking care of the teams we are "supposed" to beat. Combine that with an instant reminder of not taking this team for granted (cue last years game tape) and we will be off to a 2-0 start.

@ Iowa: Toss Up - Leaning Toward W
This game has become an annual toss up in recent years and I usually lean towards the home team, but with all that is and will be swirling around the Iowa program, team, and coaches they will be prime for the picking. I will even go as far as saying that this might be the most important game in this series from an ISU standpoint in a LONG time. A win in IC combined with all of their other issues might finally light the fuse on the powder keg and blow the Iowa program out of relevance for more than a couple of years.

@ UNLV: W
Don't think that this will be as easy as it should be, but once again this is a team we "should" beat and if we are coming into it with a 3-0 record I can't see us dropping the ball here. It will also be a home away from home environment in the desert that day.

Kansas: Leaning toward L, but not sharpening that pencil yet
Everything you hear and read about KU tells you that they are set up for a major fall from grace this season. We might still be a year away from overtaking them, but if we are 4-0 headed into this game JTS will be rocking and could be the "breakthrough" game we have been looking for.

@ Baylor: W
We have one very big key in this game: coaching. GC knows Baylor and will have a game plan that will not allow us to lose. Probably the first win of the GC era that will be directly attributed to out-coaching our opponent.

Nebraska: Leaning toward L, but probably more of a toss up
Key factors in ISU's favor: likely coming in with 5-1/4-2 record, JTS advantage, Nebraska has 1st year head coach with new system, Nebraska defensive back 7 is in TOTAL rebuild. This one could get interesting.

Texas A&M: Leaning toward L, but probably more of a toss up
Just like the Huskers the Aggies are coming in with a 1st year coach and a totally new system. Their o line is not set up for the pro-style offense they are putting in. They will be in a quarterback battle between the incumbent and their up and comer. Their former tailback is going to be a fullback this year and is NOT happy about it. This could be a BIG win for ISU.

@ Oklahoma St: Probable L
If we come into this one at 5-3 or better as I believe we will our momentum will really be rolling and may be able to propel us to a win. However this game just scares me for some reason. I hope I am wrong.

@ Colorado: Probable L
CU is one year ahead of us in the rebuilding process and I think we will be just a half step behind in Boulder.

Missouri: Probable L
I think Mizzou is all they are cracked up to be this year. It will be the last year for the major components of their team so 09 will be the year to jump over them.

@ Kansas State: Toss up - Leaning toward W
No program/coaching staff in the north is more on the hot seat this season than KSU. I would feel MUCH better if this one is in Ames, but I predict us to be coming into this one with a 5-6 record with the smell of the post-season in our nostrils. I don't think we let that opportunity slip through the cracks and pull out a tight one over the cats.

That would give us a 6-6 record and a bottom level bowl with wins over SDSU, Kent St, UNLV, Baylor, KSU, and 1 of the following 4: Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, or A&M.

For this team on year 2 of the staff 6-6 with a bowl would be a fantastic accomplishment and I really think it is there for the taking.

Now you can tell me if I am wrong:

Nice post...I believe we will have a winning record this year. I am just glad to see a number of people on this site living in the present rather than succumbing to the "wait until next year (or the year after)" thought process.

Help Support Us

Become a patron