"In God We Trust" Poll

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If the "separation of church and state" was mentioned in the constitution you might be on to something.

Yeah, since historical documents record that the founding fathers prayed to God before and during government functions, it's rather difficult for me to believe that they would be opposed to having "In God We Trust" printed on US currency and coins, and would have somehow prohibited such in the constitution...

Last edited:

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I sorta wish "In God We Trust" wasn't on the money, but I certainly don't care enough to fight about it at all. We've got WAY more important stuff to worry about.

Maybe if we fix every problem and deal with every issue that has anything to do with anybody, then we can tackle this one. For now, I think everyone's time is better spent worrying about the wars, the economy, health care........etc........etc.......

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Well it doesnt hurt anything. Why do people care?

This.

I'm not one for injection of particular religious beliefs into the political arena. But I really don't see the harm in this. It's not advocating one faith over another.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I voted no. The "separation of church and state" was designed more to protect religion from government oppression and control than anything, but they did want to protect against the development of anything resembling a theocracy. This little phrase certainly does nothing to violate either.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I don't really care, but Christian extremism scares me more than just about anything in this country and that is coming from a religious person.

Every extremism is a bad thing. Christians get the bad rap, but there are more dangerous ones out there.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
We were founded on Judeo-Christian principles... and still primarily are. Keep in on there!!

Together2813

Mar 29, 2006
Omaha, NE
I'm not a believer in God but I really honestly don't care where they print God. My day continues on normally, whether God is used or not used. We still have our freedom of choices in the USA and that's what is great about living here. Some countries would kill me for not believing... USA = ROCKS!

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Careful we may go plaid.

Once you go plaid, you never go back :cool:

sks-plaid100set1.jpg

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Another thing, sometimes this crap gets way blown out of proportion. I have no doubt that someone wants that off the money. I also have no doubt that it is a fringe group. It's like the "War Against Christmas". There is no real war against Christmas. Very few people actually fight anything to do with Christmas. It's the people that are claiming to fight against it that keep crap like this in the news.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I don't really care one way or the other, to be honest, but how would people feel if money said "In Allah We Trust?" instead of "In God We Trust?".

I would also argue that we canonize what the founding fathers intended far more than we should. Their intention was based on beliefs held in and shaped by the world as they knew it then, representing an entirely different population.

That world is drastically different than today's, and the population represented and protected by the Constitution they drafted is drastically different than it was then in almost every measure of diversity. Only slightly more than 50% of this country is Protestant today, and the numbers are declining.

The Constitution is a living, breathing document that is somewhat open to interpretation. It has survived as long as it has largely, IMO, because it is very vague on so very many things. When it ceases to meet the needs and desires of the people, it will be amended or changed - much as it has been in the past.