"In God We Trust" Poll

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't really care one way or the other, to be honest, but how would people feel if money said "In Allah We Trust?" instead of "In God We Trust?".

I would also argue that we canonize what the founding fathers intended far more than we should. Their intention was based on beliefs held in and shaped by the world as they knew it then, representing an entirely different population.

That world is drastically different than today's, and the population represented and protected by the Constitution they drafted is drastically different than it was then in almost every measure of diversity. Only slightly more than 50% of this country is Protestant today, and the numbers are declining.

The Constitution is a living, breathing document that is somewhat open to interpretation. It has survived as long as it has largely, IMO, because it is very vague on so very many things. When it ceases to meet the needs and desires of the people, it will be amended or changed - much as it has been in the past.

But it doesn't say "In Jehovah We Trust". It says "God".

Now perhaps I'm religiously inept - but to my mind, that's rather non-denominational.

Also - I believe if you go back through religous history - Jehovah and Allah are one in the same. Some theologians can correct me on this if need be. But Judiasm, Christianity, and Islam have the same roots - despite how much many members of these faiths would rather not accept/acknowledge it.

Otherwise - I see your point. I don't buy into this "we were founded on Judeo-Christian principles" bunk. I'd like to illustrate that point - but would rather not be the one to send it to the Cave. :wink:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
This.

I'm not one for injection of particular religious beliefs into the political arena. But I really don't see the harm in this. It's not advocating one faith over another.

Winner! The whole separation of church and state thing wasn't created to keep any religious references out of our government. It was to prevent the government from cracking down on religions they didn't agree with and also to prevent the government from advocating for a certain religion (think of the historical context here with the Church of England).

This statement doesn't discriminate towards any religion nor does it advocate for any. Nothing else to see here, everyone can just move on.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
On a serious note, I really like Lacrae, who is a Christian rapper.

Whitey

Apr 4, 2006
Ames, IA
I really don't care. They're just words. Not an endorsement of any religion, and by no means representative of every person.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Once you go plaid, you never go back :cool:

sks-plaid100set1.jpg

That's not plaid, that's tartan (or so says my extremely Scottish co-worker)...

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't really care one way or the other, to be honest, but how would people feel if money said "In Allah We Trust?" instead of "In God We Trust?".

I would also argue that we canonize what the founding fathers intended far more than we should. Their intention was based on beliefs held in and shaped by the world as they knew it then, representing an entirely different population.

That world is drastically different than today's, and the population represented and protected by the Constitution they drafted is drastically different than it was then in almost every measure of diversity. Only slightly more than 50% of this country is Protestant today, and the numbers are declining.

The Constitution is a living, breathing document that is somewhat open to interpretation. It has survived as long as it has largely, IMO, because it is very vague on so very many things. When it ceases to meet the needs and desires of the people, it will be amended or changed - much as it has been in the past.

Yes, because principles change with the shifting winds:jimlad:

It's vague on details, because it lays out the overarching principles that encompass many, many things. Be true to the principles, and you will figure out the details. Defy the principles, and you defy the document itself.

And yes, there is a process by which we can amend it, if we find it to be lacking in certain areas, but it's not easy, which is why we just ignore that little fact.