Urban Exploring at ISU

Status
Not open for further replies.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I live in Dodds, and I'm telling you it's not that creepy down there. Here's a picture of the so called "haunted room." It's number 1300 and sealed off. There are storage rooms a couple doors down from it, and a big shop area across from it.

This poster died at 4:17PM

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
bringing out an oldy but goody. Who's got the trip planned to the haunted park or whatever it's called tonight?

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
None of the talkers ever did post any decent pics or video. My wife isnt going to believe I was up this late reading a 30 page thread on CF. Don't know why I missed this the first time. I love the urban exploring website done by the guy in the twin cities and I'm a huge fan of Ghost Adventures :wink:

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
None of the talkers ever did post any decent pics or video. My wife isnt going to believe I was up this late reading a 30 page thread on CF. Don't know why I missed this the first time. I love the urban exploring website done by the guy in the twin cities and I'm a huge fan of Ghost Adventures :wink:

It's okay, I forgive you:biglaugh::eek:

jdsqrd

May 11, 2010
Lawrence, KS
www.jdsqrd.com
Just read through this whole thread (it's awesome!) and thought I would contribute. :cool:
While exploring friley with a friend, we came across the 'haunted dorms' in the basement near Dodd's. We turned on the lights (cuz they were off in that part of the hall) and walked down to the dorms. The temp rose and we actually started sweating, then noticed on one of the doors is written 'satan's legion' among other things, we got freaked and ran like hell. Then about a week later I was showing another friend the dorms and we were stopped by some guys that live in Dodds, they told us that they weren't really haunted, just that the rooms were closed because the windows are too small, and considered a fire hazard if some one needed to escape. I don't know if this was just to make us feel better, but I definitely got the creeps while being down there.

And I've heard stories that the only room where a student hung himself was on 5th floor.

But on to a more exploring aspect, I've heard that there is a way to get to the attic of Friley through a room on the 5th floor. There's not much up there, but still sounds cool.

I lived on Bennett House for 5 years. Worked Residence Hall security and campus security for 3 years. You can access the attic of Friley from the 5th floor in the utility closets. You will find wood rafters and blown-in insulation. My roommate and I wrote our names on the rafters the last week of our senior year (1991). I am familiar with the Mr. Big story since it happened to guards I worked with. I only recall one suicide in Friley between '86 and '91 on Niles. The basement and subbasement of Friley were creepy. There are a couple of steam tunnel entrances in the basement of Friley but they don't go anywhere too interesting. I never liked patrolling Barton Hall (worked a summer as a guard in RCA). McKay was unnerving but I hated going through Landscape Architecture the most. I used to have a lead brick (same size as a typical clay brick) from Applied Science but somehow managed to lose it (it was about 20 pounds). I never heard the dungeons of Dodds story even though I worked with two guys from Dodds for a couple of years. The laundry room at the end of Dodds has a stairway that leads into a wall. Another stairway in the Hughes stack has been converted into a very tall store room. The toilet graveyard room under the South Friley Arch is the weirdest room in the building.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
holy thread resurrection batman!

I lived on Bennett House for 5 years. Worked Residence Hall security and campus security for 3 years. You can access the attic of Friley from the 5th floor in the utility closets. You will find wood rafters and blown-in insulation. My roommate and I wrote our names on the rafters the last week of our senior year (1991). I am familiar with the Mr. Big story since it happened to guards I worked with. I only recall one suicide in Friley between '86 and '91 on Niles. The basement and subbasement of Friley were creepy. There are a couple of steam tunnel entrances in the basement of Friley but they don't go anywhere too interesting. I never liked patrolling Barton Hall (worked a summer as a guard in RCA). McKay was unnerving but I hated going through Landscape Architecture the most. I used to have a lead brick (same size as a typical clay brick) from Applied Science but somehow managed to lose it (it was about 20 pounds). I never heard the dungeons of Dodds story even though I worked with two guys from Dodds for a couple of years. The laundry room at the end of Dodds has a stairway that leads into a wall. Another stairway in the Hughes stack has been converted into a very tall store room. The toilet graveyard room under the South Friley Arch is the weirdest room in the building.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Funny to see this thread resurrected on the day that I drove by Sun Park. The f'd up playhouse is pretty creepy, but the circular stonehenge type thing of weird trees was what I really thought was messed up. I might go back by it tomorrow if I have time.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
so has Cwmaurer been online since that fateful day? Can a mod confirm he's logged in since 4:17?

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
There is a really bizarre place a few miles NW of Ames. I know this is a bit OT since this isn't about ISU but there is a strange farmhouse with a really really odd "front gate." That's about the only way I can describe it and it's really spooky to see at night. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

i do. i grew up in boone and a good friend of mine lived just down the raod from there. that guy is an odd duck! i tried finding a pic or an address but cant come up with one right now.

Boorstin

May 13, 2010
Wyoming
The Crazy House (what we called it) is easy to find. Just go north on North Dakota, till it hits the t-intersection at Cameron School Rd. Take a left and just keep going. About 2.5 miles after it becomes gravel, it's on your left. I have some VERY messed up stories about going out to the place...

The guy who owns the playground lives in the farm house on the north side of the road. The playground is on the south side. The guy came out of his house and flagged down our car one night and asked us why we were driving by his house. We said we were curious about the playground. He told us his wife and daughter were killed, and he just kept building it. Nice guy, but honestly a little weird.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
I had never read this thread, but I am so glad it got reopened and bumped!!! It took me about an hour to read the whole thing, but this might be the most entertaining thread ever. :yes:

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The guy who owns the playground lives in the farm house on the north side of the road. The playground is on the south side. The guy came out of his house and flagged down our car one night and asked us why we were driving by his house. We said we were curious about the playground. He told us his wife and daughter were killed, and he just kept building it. Nice guy, but honestly a little weird.

It's hard to believe anyone lives in that house. It's a run down craphole to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron