6 turned down Notre Dame job?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
According to footballcoachscoop.com

Notre Dame:
Sources tell FootballCoachScoop that Bob Stoops, Tony Dungy, Kirk Ferentz, Jon Gruden, Urban Meyer, and Pat Fitzgerald all turned the Fighting Irish job
down.

FootballCoachScoop.com - Rumor Mill on Coaching Changes and Scoop in College/NFL Football

If true, that really says a lot about the state of Notre Dame.

1. I hope it's true.
2. I hope it gets a relatively decent sized public story.

Reminds me of the Nebraska coaching search when they had to give the job to Callahan. Except the difference was it took forever (ND did this quite quickly) and they fired a guy that was actually winning.

Reactions: 3GenClone

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Dungy and Gruden were never going to take it. They're NFL guys, period.

Why in the hell would Meyer leave Florida? His ticket is punched, he can call his shot anytime.

Similar thing with Stoops, but not to that extreme yet. Stoops may start catching some flack from Sooner fans if he doesn't win a few more games in 2010.

Pat would rather coach against ND than for them, from everything I've read/heard. I'd actually look forward to a NW/ND game...would be great to have him beat the Irish.

KF is about the only one of that group that I thought might actually do it, but I think it was smart for him to turn it down. He's got a great gig in Iowa City and like a couple other guys on the list, not in any jeopardy at all. And, I feel confident Michigan will give him a strong look should they move on after the 2010 season. IMO, the Michigan job is far, far better than the ND job.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I would agree except for Fitzgerald...I thought that would be a no-brainer move for him.
Exactly. I figured he would be all over this if offered. He already knows the big 10, now he moves to a place with much better tradition and half his schedule is still against the big 10. He would also be well received with his background....the only things I can come up with is his loyalty to his alma mater, and to what his old mentor, Randy Walker, built for him there.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Tony Dungy said on Dan Patrick this morning that he was asked if it was interested in the notre dame job but not directly contacted by anyone from notre dame. I dont see notre dame asking if someone if they have interest the same as offering a job.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I would agree except for Fitzgerald...I thought that would be a no-brainer move for him.

Not at all. Fitzgerald is going to be the coach at Northwestern for a very long time. He has turned that program around. Not to mention Northwestern is the school where he played football. He has it made there.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Why in the hell would Meyer leave Florida? His ticket is punched, he can call his shot anytime.

Jason Smith, when filling in for Doug Gottlieb, was absolutely convinced that Meyer would leave Florida for ND because he had absolutely convinced himself that ND was the better job and Meyer was looking for his next great challenge. Then again, I also think Jason Smith is a moron and Doug Gottlieb had to spend his entire nex broadcast doing damage control.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Dungy and Gruden were never going to take it. They're NFL guys, period.

Similar thing with Stoops, but not to that extreme yet. Stoops may start catching some flack from Sooner fans if he doesn't win a few more games in 2010.

Pat would rather coach against ND than for them, from everything I've read/heard. I'd actually look forward to a NW/ND game...would be great to have him beat the Irish.

KF is about the only one of that group that I thought might actually do it, but I think it was smart for him to turn it down. He's got a great gig in Iowa City and like a couple other guys on the list, not in any jeopardy at all. And, I feel confident Michigan will give him a strong look should they move on after the 2010 season. IMO, the Michigan job is far, far better than the ND job.

Yeah, it is, but Ferentz won't get a look. He's another Lloyd Carr. They coach the same way.

CIRISH

Nov 21, 2009

Notre Dame:
Sources tell FootballCoachScoop that Bob Stoops, Tony Dungy, Kirk Ferentz, Jon Gruden, Urban Meyer, and Pat Fitzgerald all turned the Fighting Irish job
down.

FootballCoachScoop.com - Rumor Mill on Coaching Changes and Scoop in College/NFL Football

FootballCoachScoop.com is one of the least discriminating rumor posters you'll find. They hear something, they post it. They got sucked into the Bielema to ND hoax (a story planted simply to see how much play it would get), repeating the rumor word for word, citing "sources". I doubt all six of these guys were actually offered the job.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008

Notre Dame:
down.

This doesn't say anything about ND. Do you think any of these guys were wanting this job anyway? I think they got their #1 guy, IMO.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Sorry, but that report seems a little over exaggerated. You fire a coach and are trying to find a new one, wouldn't you call every and any qualified person to see if they would even be interesetd - I know I would. You have to figure out that X number of coaches are actually interested, and then setup interviews etc. to find the best fit. To actually be labled as being turned down would be going through that whole process and finally offering them the job and to not have them accept it.

I don't think it says anything about the state of ND, it says more about the state of the individual who turned it down - just as ISUFan22 pointed out.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Notre Dame hired a head hunter firm out of Atlanta I believe to assist with the hiring/interviewing process. It's this firms job to measure potential interest from a large list of candidates and then together with Notre Dame they narrow that list down.

I'm assuming they started with a list of about 10 coaches in which they wanted to gauge interest. Usually this means they contact their agents and go from there. That's probably as far as it got with guys like Meyer, Stoops, Ferentz, Dungy, etc. I don't think Notre Dame ever spoke to any of them.

I think they got the right guy for the job. He will build an offense that can compete with the best of them, but he will need some help on defense. Cinci's defense was horrid this year.