6 turned down Notre Dame job?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
1. I hope it's true.
2. I hope it gets a relatively decent sized public story.

Reminds me of the Nebraska coaching search when they had to give the job to Callahan. Except the difference was it took forever (ND did this quite quickly) and they fired a guy that was actually winning.

This. If the coaches were asked to take the job they need to come out and say something along the lines of "I prefer where I'm at right now." What a blow that would be to the pompous ND program.

TarHawk

Dec 2, 2009
That, and he can't beat Ohio State.

KF has beat Ohio St since Michigan has (2004), not that that's saying much and even though that is his only win over tOSU. Just bored and wanted to chime in on a random fact.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Exactly. I figured he would be all over this if offered. He already knows the big 10, now he moves to a place with much better tradition and half his schedule is still against the big 10. He would also be well received with his background....the only things I can come up with is his loyalty to his alma mater, and to what his old mentor, Randy Walker, built for him there.

I think it's great to see that there are still coaches who value those kinds of things.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
1. I hope it's true.
2. I hope it gets a relatively decent sized public story.

Reminds me of the Nebraska coaching search when they had to give the job to Callahan. Except the difference was it took forever (ND did this quite quickly) and they fired a guy that was actually winning.

I thought the searches were similar as well. The search to replace Solich was very humbling to the Nebraska program, as were the Callahan years. Looks like they've got their attitude back with Bo though.

CycloneChris

Jan 28, 2009
Chicago suburbs
According to footballcoachscoop.com

Notre Dame:
Sources tell FootballCoachScoop that Bob Stoops, Tony Dungy, Kirk Ferentz, Jon Gruden, Urban Meyer, and Pat Fitzgerald all turned the Fighting Irish job
down.

FootballCoachScoop.com - Rumor Mill on Coaching Changes and Scoop in College/NFL Football

If true, that really says a lot about the state of Notre Dame.

Again, the story I had heard locally in Chicago was that Ferentz did have a discussion about the ND job, but ND did the turning down. The skeptical view was that KF was doing it to try and leverage another raise from Iowa. The ND view was that there was no way some of the big donors and Catholics would have accepted someone who's team has had as much legal trouble as KF's have. They could have dealt with the occassional legal problem, but not the number that occured in IC.

CIRISH

Nov 21, 2009
This. If the coaches were asked to take the job they need to come out and say something along the lines of "I prefer where I'm at right now." What a blow that would be to the pompous ND program.

Not one of them did come out and say anything like this, or even said they were offered the job, and so I guess the logical conclusion is that they were never offered the job.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
According to footballcoachscoop.com

Notre Dame:
Sources tell FootballCoachScoop that Bob Stoops, Tony Dungy, Kirk Ferentz, Jon Gruden, Urban Meyer, and Pat Fitzgerald all turned the Fighting Irish job
down.

FootballCoachScoop.com - Rumor Mill on Coaching Changes and Scoop in College/NFL Football

If true, that really says a lot about the state of Notre Dame.

I'm pretty sure that Kelly was the only one that ND actually offered the job too. I think I read somewhere that he was the only one to even interview. Why wouldnt you at least ask that list of guys (sans Ferentz and Fitzgerald IMO) if they were remotely interested? They want the absolute best, those guys are they absolute best that are out there.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Again, the story I had heard locally in Chicago was that Ferentz did have a discussion about the ND job, but ND did the turning down. The skeptical view was that KF was doing it to try and leverage another raise from Iowa. The ND view was that there was no way some of the big donors and Catholics would have accepted someone who's team has had as much legal trouble as KF's have. They could have dealt with the occassional legal problem, but not the number that occured in IC.

KF has his agent leak out that he is a candidate for every high profile job that comes up. He needs to get another 5 years on his contract and a raise.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Without Claussen and Tate Notre Dame better play much better on D next year

They still have Rudolph, Floyd, both running backs (Hughes and Allen), and Dane Crist at QB who went down during the WSU game with a blown ACL. Hopefully Crist comes back strong. Watching him play this season, I think he has the same ability, if not more than Jimmy did. His touchdown pass against WSU was incredible, turned a 40 yard pass into a frozen rope bullet right into the receivers hands.

Kelly said he would try to talk to Golden about staying and I believe Golden was even quoted as saying he would listen to what he had to say. Doubtful that Tate would come back, but as long as he'll listen, I'm all for that. I think that there are still plenty of tools on both sides of the ball for Kelly to be successful as early as next season. Dont recall every one of the freshman recruits from last year outside of Teo, but I'm pretty sure Charlie got one or two of the top CB's as well.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
I'm pretty sure that Kelly was the only one that ND actually offered the job too. I think I read somewhere that he was the only one to even interview. Why wouldnt you at least ask that list of guys (sans Ferentz and Fitzgerald IMO) if they were remotely interested? They want the absolute best, those guys are they absolute best that are out there.

Notre Dame's AD did a live press conference this afternoon on ESPN in which he stated Kelly was the first and only coach they offered the job to.

cutshot

Oct 28, 2008
I call BS on that! He may have actually been the only one that was given a contract, as the others all declined interest in the position.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
I call BS on that! He may have actually been the only one that was given a contract, as the others all declined interest in the position.

BS is probably the case. Just saying that's what he said.

cutshot

Oct 28, 2008
With all of the coaches having agents anymore, there is very little contact directly witht the coaches. Plus now you have all of the "head hunters" who do all of the hookups so no one has any exposure if they don't want it.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
i think brian kelly will be the new notre dame coach.he is a good one and he will turn them around and be a nemisis for the big 10 teams.in two or three years ,he will build notre dame into a top rate football team. cheers and merry christmas and happy new year to everyone!!!!!!

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Notre Dame's AD did a live press conference this afternoon on ESPN in which he stated Kelly was the first and only coach they offered the job to.

What was he suppose to say. Kelly really was our 4 choice. If you ask an AD on record they never get turned down.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
What was he suppose to say. Kelly really was our 4 choice. If you ask an AD on record they never get turned down.

He would have just left that part out. He seemed sincere. I'm not saying he wasn't lying just pointing out what he said in the presser.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

They declined interest in the position. Youve been listening to too much ESPN. When there is a coaching vacancy at Notre Dame, of course the media is going to speculate who the next coach will be and of course since ND has to have the best available, the media will speculate. Brian Kelly was the only one who was interviewed. I believe they were going to interview Edsell but after they interviewed Kelly, they had their man.