Big 10 to Push for Expansion - Interesting Development...

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha
Of the schools listed, I think Rutgers is the most likely choice. They would add TV set all across the east.

Not calling you out in particular as many have said this, but it is not true. The State University of New Jersey would primarily draw from 2 MSAs. Both of them are top 5 TV markets in the country. However, the Philly market is already a Big10 market, and NYC although it has many eyeballs isn't a college sports market at all. And Using ABC's regional coverage map to assign markets to conferences, NYC more often than not is already a Big 10 market.

So with $ being the ultimate driver beyond the obvious selection of Notre Dame which schools would bring $. $ is defined as household viewers of Football and Men's Basketball. Missouri make sense as it delivers 2 primary markets in KC (some what still split with Big XII and KU/KSU) and St. Louis, as well as, deliver the entire state's secondary markets.

Pitt adds little as all of PA is mostly PSU, eastern OH is OSU. One school that I haven't seen mentioned that I think makes a lot of sense is UCONN. From the Big 10 perspective it delivers the NE. As an emerging football program, do they take away the ties and prestige of a basketball school and it's allegiance to the Big East?

Reactions: cyhiphopp

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
My guesses...if the Big 12 looks...

West: Utah
East: Louisville
South: Houston
North: Northern Illinois

It's just hard for me to see Arkansas wanting to jump to the Big 12, but they would be a good choice. Maybe Arkansas to Big 12 and Louisville to SEC...

Does MU really want out of the Big 12???

Out of those four, I'd say Houston or Utah are most likely. No way do I see the Big 12 going that far east to Louisville. NIU seems too small.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
You'd need at least two more to fill it out and who do you add? Rice?

Or you could make a Texas and Oklahoma conference. That gives OSU, OU and Tusla. Add in a couple other C-USA schools, say Rice, UTEP and SMU? so yes, add rice with the promise of revenue sharing. Granted that leads to the destruction of the Big XII all for the sake of football, but with the kind of money that Texas makes from it...

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Out of those four, I'd say Houston or Utah are most likely. No way do I see the Big 12 going that far east to Louisville. NIU seems too small.

NIU has about 25,000 total students. I don't know about their athletic infrastructure and how suitable it is for the Big 12.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
TCU, Houston or Tulsa would be the most logical schools that would love to join the Big12, but the more I think about it the more it doesn't make sense.
Conferences want teams that will bring in more people. TCU, Houston and Tulsa doesn't do that at all. We are already well established in those markets.

I think you try and get a team like Memphis though.

I don't think we would have much luck getting a school out of another BCS Conference. But if you could Arkansas does make the most sense.

Other than that Louisville or Cincy would be good.

If that doesn't work then you have to go University of Phoenix Online

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
-Changing the Iowa game in FB to a conference game allows us to schedule some different BCS teams in our non-conference schedule.... or just buy 4 wins per year making a bowl game much easier to get to.

That doesn't seem to be working out for several of the Big Ten schools this year (or in years past for that matter).

I know I have explained this to you before, but I guess I'll have to boil it down even more....

Right now, when we play Iowa in non-conference, we have a good chance of being 3-1 going into conference play. We then need to be 3-5 or better in the league to go to a bowl.

We move to the Big Ten and we replace Iowa out of conference with the little sisters of the poor. We then are likely 4-0 going into league play and need to go 2-6 to go bowling.

Fact: It is always easier to go 2-6 in conference than 3-5, regardless of what conference we are in. We get the same thing by dropping Iowa and staying in the Big 12.

Is it a 100% sure thing that we bowl every year, obviously not. But I never said it was. You could drop a cupcake game. You could go 1-7 in conference to end 5-7 overall (KU I'm looking at you). However, the fact of the matter remains that the path to 6 wins is always easier when you enter conference play with 4 instead of 3. You then get the added benefits of the money, extra practice, and exposure that a bowl game brings. But I guess our football program already has plenty of that, we don't need to try and stack the deck in our favor to get more...

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Or you could make a Texas and Oklahoma conference. That gives OSU, OU and Tusla. Add in a couple other C-USA schools, say Rice, UTEP and SMU? so yes, add rice with the promise of revenue sharing. Granted that leads to the destruction of the Big XII all for the sake of football, but with the kind of money that Texas makes from it...

wouldn't there be something in the big 12 bylaws that would prevent what is essentially the destruction of the conference.

Another thought, is Boise State too far west to be in this discussion if Mizzou leaves? They have to be the biggest name program not attached to a BCS conference.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
wouldn't there be something in the big 12 bylaws that would prevent what is essentially the destruction of the conference.

Another thought, is Boise State too far west to be in this discussion if Mizzou leaves? They have to be the biggest name program not attached to a BCS conference.

I'm sure hope so.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
NIU has about 25,000 total students. I don't know about their athletic infrastructure and how suitable it is for the Big 12.

Yeah, I really wasn't sure about their student population, but I would find it hard to believe their facilities would be big enough to belong in a major conference. Maybe someone else has an insight on what they have.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Probably the same voting structure that is preventing the revenue sharing would prevent this scenario. You need something like 9 votes to pass proposals like this. I think the only way this happens is if the Texas and Oklahoma schools leave the Big12 and start their own conference. I also believe that would eliminate their automatic BCS bid until the next round of contracts because that belongs to the Big12 so I don't see why they'd want to do this.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
What is your basis for claiming that the Big Ten model is "better"? Have Big Ten athletic teams performed better nationally over the last decade than Big 12 teams?

They haven't necessarily performed better, but they have made a hell of a lot more money. In 07-08 every Big Ten team made $14 million, while ISU made $7 million - don't try to spin that like it isn't a significant difference. When a team like Indiana or NW can double up ISU - the Big Ten model is most certainly better with regard to finances. The team who made the most money in the Big 12 in 07-08 was Texas at $10.2 million....your telling me that Indiana should be making $4 million more from a revenue sharing agreement each year than Texas should? Please....the Big Ten is the king of college football revenue, here were the figures that each conference generated in 07-08:

1. Big Ten: $154.2 million
2. ACC: $137.6 million
3. SEC: $135 million
4. Big 12: $103.1 million
5. Pac-10: $80.1 million
6. Big East: $77.6 million

Spin it however you want, but the financial benefits ISU would receive from the Big Ten would be huge, and I didn't even include the academic benefits.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The Perfect (Darkhorse) Candidate For Big Ten Expansion: Texas | Bleacher Report

Texas join the Big 10? With all the money they're making in the Big XII?

I bet the Big 12 is very concerned about this, and they should be. They are our cash cow. They would add cash to the Big Ten, as well as gain $$ themselves.
I doubt the Big Ten would consider any potential member that wouldn't add to their revenue. All of the schools talked about - Mizzou, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, etc. would only make pieces of the pie smaller for current members. I think the threat of Texas leaving is always in the minds of others in the Big 12.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Probably the same voting structure that is preventing the revenue sharing would prevent this scenario. You need something like 9 votes to pass proposals like this. I think the only way this happens is if the Texas and Oklahoma schools leave the Big12 and start their own conference. I also believe that would eliminate their automatic BCS bid until the next round of contracts because that belongs to the Big12 so I don't see why they'd want to do this.

That's an interesting point, although I'm sure Texas and OU could pull in at-large bids with good records in the interim years.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
The Perfect (Darkhorse) Candidate For Big Ten Expansion: Texas | Bleacher Report

Texas join the Big 10? With all the money they're making in the Big XII?:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Every Big Ten team is currently making $4 million more from the Big Ten's revenue sharing agreement than Texas is every year.

Laugh all you want, but Texas ALMOST joined the Big Ten back in the early 90's until a piece of Texas legislation mandated that Texas had to be in the same conference as Texas A&M. If the Big Ten would be willing to go to 14 and take A&M as well, I think Texas would at least listen.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA

With the exception of OSU and OU, you have just recreated the old Southwest Conference.

There is a reason that model fell apart in the 90s and we got the Texas schools to join the Big 8 and form the Big 12.

It didn't work once before and I highly doubt it would work again.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Another interesting tidbit....the former Big 12 commissioner is currently working for the Big Ten Network....he would probably know what buttons the Big Ten would have to push in order to get Texas.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
WHY would we want to go to the Big 10? I would hate that...

Also, If they were to take Mizzou, I like the idea of taking Oklahoma and putting them in the North and adding TCU... that'd be fun.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron