New Coach Prospects

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Do you think Pollard thinks his nuts are tied to McD still? This is the only reason I can come up with for the extension. He took a big risk on him and it hasn't panned out. Mix that with the Chizik debacle and it is all he had going for him.
After the Rhodes hire he's earned a little more leniency and should stop worrying about it.

Amazing to me that people STILL can't spell Paul RHOADS name correctly.

Clonebydesign

Jul 21, 2009
Ames
OP I bet you blow off the handle with every little thing in your life. git a grip and just stop. We lost to #5 and you didnt really thing that we were on their level did you? I guess my kids are all good enough for college sports scholaships too. Get some perspetive wow.:skeptical:

Reactions: CyGuy33

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
The big problem is do you see a team atleast on paper being better then this years anytime soon with the players we have? We like to think things are getting better, but if this year doesn't turn out and we lose Brackins and Gilstrap then we go backwards again. No saying getting rid of coach is the answer but we gotta be realistic.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Jacobson had been an assistant under McDermott since McDermott's 2000 season at NDSU. McDermott is 3+ years removed from UNI, yet Jacobson came in this year with less-athletically talented post/PF players this year and dominated ISU's post game on both offense and defense. Jacobson has also beaten McDermott 3 out of 4 since McDermott came to ISU.

The toughness, discipline and post play that McDermott was touted for at UNI has not translated to ISU, while those things still appear to characterize UNI. Something is amiss with this situation, and begs the question as to whose personality was really driving that toughness that characterized and still does characterize UNI.

Greg McDermott and Ben Jacobsen = Dan Hawkins and Chris Peterson.

Reactions: HiltonMagic

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
OP I bet you blow off the handle with every little thing in your life. git a grip and just stop. We lost to #5 and you didnt really thing that we were on their level did you? I guess my kids are all good enough for college sports scholaships too. Get some perspetive wow.:skeptical:
I'm hoping their spelling is better or the academic scholarship is out the window too.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
If I was looking around the country for good replacements, Ben Jacobsen comes up as a guy with a ton of potential, but it's hard to not think he'd be McDermott 2.0.

Yeah, no thanks...no offense but we need someone out of the state of Iowa unless they are great recruiters. A main reason we got some of our players is because of TJ Oe;kfjsa;kjfa;dkfjberger

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah, no thanks...no offense but we need someone out of the state of Iowa unless they are great recruiters. A main reason we got some of our players is because of TJ Oe;kfjsa;kjfa;dkfjberger

I don't want Jacobsen here, I just think he's going to be good for someone. I just hope that someone isn't Iowa.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Mac Defenders

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I'm tired of seeing people name-called and chastised for simply demanding excellence from our basketball program.

I think Coach Mac is a good human being and I hate to see anyone get fired, but this is IOWA STATE. That used to mean something when Johnny Orr and Hilton Magic put us on the map. It meant something 10 years ago when we were a legitimate national title contender.

We hit a huge roadblock when LE went a little nuts and brought negative attention to our program. The aftermath has not been pretty. But we are still IOWA STATE. We have the right to demand more than we're getting from this program because we have seen that it CAN be done here. Are you Mac defenders too young to remember when our basketball program was on the cusp of being elite? To defend the mediocrity of our program today is to not remember what it was and could still be. I have seen enough to believe that a change IS needed. This team has simply not been well-coached and you do not have to have a PhD to see it.

And don't blame Pollard. McDermott was a hot candidate when we got him. Even our friends to the east were salivating over him, although they'd never admit it today. How could he have known that it was not going to work out? Nobody did. But it hasn't, it's time to move on and I trust Jamie to make the right decision.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
That being said, I think what happens is this:

If Mac doesn't either have a winning record by the end of this year or in a post season tournament, he's on the hot seat. I honestly cannot see why he wouldn't be. He's coached three full seasons and has yet to have a winning record (or .500 record). Every year we're a game or three under .500 because we did well in our non-conference games against mediocre teams. Big 12 play comes up and we can't compete anymore. I believe he's 14-37 in Big 12 play in three seasons, which does not cut it. I see about 4 games I feel good about winning in conference play. The rest? I am not so sure... Even if we win maybe 6 of those, that would still be a 6-10 conference record (20-47 all time in big 12 play).

It does not cut it. Period. If he was at a "bigger" school (probably even like Southern Miss would do this) and did this, he'd be gone already or he'd be gone after this year if he didn't produce.

I like the guy as a person, and I think he has the POTENTIAL to be a good coach at the "next level" but I haven't seen it yet (Diante Garrett has improved tons under GMac I will say though). No matter what anyone else says, we have a talented group of guys and if we don't produce this year, it tells me something. It's not fully the coach, but great coaches can have an "effect" on players to make them produce more than their perceived potential.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Re: Mac Defenders

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I'm tired of seeing people name-called and chastised for simply demanding excellence from our basketball program.

I think Coach Mac is a good human being and I hate to see anyone get fired, but this is IOWA STATE. That used to mean something when Johnny Orr and Hilton Magic put us on the map. It meant something 10 years ago when we were a legitimate national title contender.

We hit a huge roadblock when LE went a little nuts and brought negative attention to our program. The aftermath has not been pretty. But we are still IOWA STATE. We have the right to demand more than we're getting from this program because we have seen that it CAN be done here. Are you Mac defenders too young to remember when our basketball program was on the cusp of being elite? To defend the mediocrity of our program today is to not remember what it was and could still be. I have seen enough to believe that a change IS needed. This team has simply not been well-coached and you do not have to have a PhD to see it.

And don't blame Pollard. McDermott was a hot candidate when we got him. Even our friends to the east were salivating over him, although they'd never admit it today. How could he have known that it was not going to work out? Nobody did. But it hasn't, it's time to move on and I trust Jamie to make the right decision.
But if you don't follow blindly, aren't you a hater?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Re: Mac Defenders

But if you don't follow blindly, aren't you a hater?

You were a year ago. I think most reasonable folks around here are realizing that even if you really really really really want a turd to turn into a diamond ring, it's still a piece of ****. I'm not calling McD a piece of ****, I'm just saying that we all want him to do well, but after 4 years it's getting pretty obvious that that isn't a likely outcome.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron