Anyone discourage of what McDermott said

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclonefan1983

Feb 12, 2009
something he had to do for the interest of the basketball team even it means more losses to something that effect...

way to keep the morale a all time low coach

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
something he had to do for the interest of the basketball team even it means more losses to something that effect...

Are you talking about the suspension of Colvin? I would say that was a pretty accurate and fair statement. We definitely won't be as good without CC than with him. But long term, if Colvin learns from this, we will be much better off...

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Here is the ACTUAL quote that you are talking about before rumors start flying around and no, I have no problem at all with what Mac said.

I got in this profession because I love to coach basketball and I love to help young people grow. If winning every gets in the way of that, then I’ve got to get out of it. This young man needs to grow up and if it costs me a couple of wins along the way, then so be it. He is going to be better and I am going to sleep better because of that. That is why I do what I do. It was probably my fault that I let him go down the road too far early in the season. I probably bit my tongue a few times when I shouldn’t have. But we are where we are today and I am ready to move on.

Reactions: coachdags

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota

Greg's exact quote...

I got in this profession because I love to coach basketball and I love to help young people grow. If winning every gets in the way of that, then I’ve got to get out of it. This young man needs to grow up and if it costs me a couple of wins along the way, then so be it. He is going to be better and I am going to sleep better because of that.

My answer is NO...! I think it is great that a Coach will put the player's well being in front of a win or too. Greg did this for the reason's stated in his quote and the team and I think it is GREAT!

CyRocket

Jan 31, 2007

That is the dumbest statement of all time, yours not his. Would it be better to allow that kind of action just to win. It is apparent that there is a problem of character on this team and if it takes getting rid of the problem players then so be it. If they can't obey the rules then they have no place at ISU. If the team loses and yet plays better team ball then I for one am glad that he is taking the action he is.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Greg's exact quote...

I got in this profession because I love to coach basketball and I love to help young people grow. If winning every gets in the way of that, then I’ve got to get out of it. This young man needs to grow up and if it costs me a couple of wins along the way, then so be it. He is going to be better and I am going to sleep better because of that.

My answer is NO...! I think it is great that a Coach will put the player's well being in front of a win or too. Greg did this for the reason's stated in his quote and the team and I think it is GREAT!

jinx

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Greg's exact quote...

+1

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I don't get what's discouraging about that I guess

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I think some people would only be happy if he said I don't care about anything except win and win at all cost - as much as things seem down at times there is more to all of this than just basketball.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
From the original quote...no. I'm glad he mentions wanting to be a coach for more than just basketball. In my opinion that's extremely important and I love coaches who do that if they have the right life advice. To do that though, you have to lead by example, so I'm hoping he's doing that somehow and it's weird, but if you win on the court, hey you'll trust coach even more even with life advice.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Yeah, I'm discouraged. I'm discouraged because McDermott should have been able to prevent this from happening from the get-go. It should have never come to this. Behavior problems like Colvin's don't just pop out of the blue. There were surely signs of what was to come before it boiled over and necessitated a three week suspension.

LonoClone

Jun 25, 2008
Yeah, I'm discouraged. I'm discouraged because McDermott should have been able to prevent this from happening from the get-go. It should have never come to this. Behavior problems like Colvin's don't just pop out of the blue. There were surely signs of what was to come before it boiled over and necessitated a three week suspension.

How the heck do you know if there were signs? How do you know it didn't come out of the blue? Pure speculation based on no facts whatsoever.

Reactions: coachdags

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
How the heck do you know if there were signs? How do you know it didn't come out of the blue? Pure speculation based on no facts whatsoever.

Don't be ridiculous. When you listen to Mac's comments after the Duke game, you can tell that it was something that had been building.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.