only one reason we are not as good as we thought...

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
ARE we worse than last year?

We might not be as good as we planned (as fans). But are we in fact WORSE?

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
ARE we worse than last year?

We might not be as good as we planned (as fans). But are we in fact WORSE?
I don't think they are any worse. At the same time I don't think they are much if any better. It just doesn't seem like the team developed and improved as a whole. The Big 12 will let us all know soon enough.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
We're not as good as we should be. I think two big things have been hit on that are a major factor: rebounding and ball movement on offense.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The team is not worse, however, the team is not really much better than past years either.

And that is the most frustrating/concerning thing.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Records are roughly the same. 4 losses this year and last.

2009/10 losses to Northwestern, UNI*, Cal, Duke.
2008/09 losses to Hawaii, Iowa, Drake*, South Dakota State*. (beat UNI in OT)

(* homes losses)

Not top 25 on the schedule last year. Duke is and I thought Cal was too.

Maybe we don't like what we see, but I think it's pretty clear that our record is better to this point (all things factored)

GoShow is right, the Big XII is going to tell us alot. I don't think there's much arguement about the non-cons from last year to this. None of us is going to argue that the Big XII is a step up from last year as well.

"Hopeful", might be the best term to use here.....?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Records are roughly the same. 4 losses this year and last.

2009/10 losses to Northwestern, UNI*, Cal, Duke.
2008/09 losses to Hawaii, Iowa, Drake*, South Dakota State*. (beat UNI in OT)

(* homes losses)

Not top 25 on the schedule last year. Duke is and I thought Cal was too.

Maybe we don't like what we see, but I think it's pretty clear that our record is better to this point (all things factored)

GoShow is right, the Big XII is going to tell us alot. I don't think there's much arguement about the non-cons from last year to this. None of us is going to argue that the Big XII is a step up from last year as well.

"Hopeful", might be the best term to use here.....?

Three of our losses this year came against teams that are or were at one point ranked somewhere. UNI gets some national pub as being pretty underrated. This team is better than last year. Having said that, they are probably not as good as they should be.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
i also still dont like the lack of scoring when someone is our face... we struggle to make shots when no one is in our face... where is the strength of being able to go through someone and get a foul or just score. we dont or havnt shown that ability... thats big.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
This basketball team is Average At Best....They were picked for 8th place and to put it charitably they are playing like an 8th place conference team right now.

Unless McDud finds a good point guard soon, this season will be just another lost cause and a major headache for good old jamie the accountant, going into McDud's 5th season.

Craig Brackins?...the guy cant play in a structured offense....quoting steve deace

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I have been and am still of the opinion that DG should drive the lane every single time down the floor. If your guard penetrates the lane and the opposing D can't keep him out of there, something good happens 75% of the time. Either a basket by the guard or a dish by the guard for an open shot or a foul by the other team, etc.

DG has the ability to get in there everytime. This is what Tinsley did and it was a big part of why he was so dominant.

Reactions: legi

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
I have been and am still of the opinion that DG should drive the lane every single time down the floor. If your guard penetrates the lane and the opposing D can't keep him out of there, something good happens 75% of the time. Either a basket by the guard or a dish by the guard for an open shot or a foul by the other team, etc.

DG has the ability to get in there everytime. This is what Tinsley did and it was a big part of why he was so dominant.

I agree with this. But again, it will only work if everyone else follows DG's penetration with movement. If they all just stand and watch, well then it will be one-on-one basketball, and we will get shot down.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
This team does not seem to have a clue how to run whatever offense it is trying to run.

Yes, DG's assist to turnover ratio is good this year......so far. We will see how he performs when he gets into some competition in conference. The guards in the Big 12 are not the guards playing for NDSU, Mississippi Valley, or others. He has not always done very well against athletic guards, so I think the jury is still out there until Big 12 play gets going.

My problem is I can never tell what the offense is supposed to be, or who is running it. I don't see DG or Colvin directing people on the floor. I don't see who is calling the plays out for sure. It looks to me like the game plan is to have DG dribble on top, the other 4 form a box outside the lane.......and then they wait for someone to get in front of the guy guarding them, and that player gets the ball. Then the other 4 stand and watch to see what that player can do with it. No movement, no screens, no back door.

Also, with Colvin and DG.....I just don't see the basketball IQ there that is needed for a Big 12 point guard. Tinsley had it. So did Blalock. So did Hornacek. I don't see it in these guys......sorry. I don't think GMac sees it in them either. If he did, why would you recruit a JC point guard when DG still has a year left?

As far as run and gun.....you can only do that if one or two things are present......either/or a pressing defense that forces a lot of turnovers, especially in the backcourt, or a very good defensive rebounding team. Unfortunately, ISU is neither. They can get steals against poor non-conference competition, but I will be pleasantly surprised if they can do that against most Big 12 teams. And rebounding....when Houston and NDSU out-rebound you, forget about it in the Big 12. You don't have a chance.

Bottom line.....GMac recruited these players. They are his....so if they are not the right players, whose fault is that? Also.....if the team chemistry is bad....whose job is it to monitor that and take steps to improve it, if not the coaching staff's?

Unless there is a sudden miraculous change in attitude and execution of an offense, I think this is going to be a very long, frustrating Big 12 season.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Besides Tinsley and Blalock, I think DG is one of the better points we've ever had.

Sorry......I disagree......what do you base this on? Maybe you did not see Hornacek play.....honestly, he was better than any other point guard I saw for ISU, including Tinsley. Jacy was also excellent. IMO, DG is not even on the radar yet. He is not an excellent passer, he does not direct the offense, and he is not much of a scoring threat.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
dryburn is right on... he doesnt turn it over and has good assist turnover ratio, but that obviously does not equal wins... not a scoring threat at all, and doesnt have control of the offense... maybe he understands the offense, i dont know, maybe hes the only one that does on the team, i dont know... but he doesnt have command of it on the floor.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
dryburn is right on... he doesnt turn it over and has good assist turnover ratio, but that obviously does not equal wins... not a scoring threat at all, and doesnt have control of the offense... maybe he understands the offense, i dont know, maybe hes the only one that does on the team, i dont know... but he doesnt have command of it on the floor.
dryburn is always right on. I always read his posts while some I won't even look at.

Reactions: Dryburn

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe he's not the complete problem but he is they key IMO. Think back to ever game we have played in the past two seasons that have been successful. Think of the runs we make. It seem DG is playing well in those. OK last year, DG played well. When we made a small run on DUke this year DG was being aggressive.

IMO, DG has to be aggressive going to the hole. If he is a threat to penetrate every time he brings the ball up that is a huge advantage.

DG ebbs and flow depending on his energy level. Sometimes fantastic, sometimes non existent.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Wow. I truly am baffled by all the hate surrounding DG. He's on pace to have the highest assist-to-turnover ratio by any Cyclone since Jacy Holloway. Higher than Tinsley, Stinson, and Blalock. People complain about him not being able to make shots when his field goal percentage would put him in the top 10 of the conference if he shot more. He's playing great basketball and is one of the best point guards in the conference.

wow he can pass the ball. how does he rank with scoring. teams dont have to guard him because he wont make baskets.