Woman Killed By Train In Ames

Status
Not open for further replies.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
That still seems way too fast for trains, in town. I remember the trains absolutely flying through when I lived there...faster than just about any town of that size that I've seen in Iowa.

Of course, if you get hit by the train it isn't really going to make a difference, but I'm pretty sure they could stand to dial it back a bit before roaring through a town when you have tracks sitting right in the approach to stoplights where people will be slowing down...not stopping I hope, but slowing. Always seems like the trains in Des Moines are not going as fast.

That's because the tracks in Des Moines are not near as important, nor maintained to the same standard as the East/West mainline. Trains run 70 through Cedar Rapids and that town is hell of a lot bigger than Ames. 40 mph is plently slow enough through town, especially with the gates going down plently early for the on coming trains. But let's not forget, railroad tracks are private property, and anyone on them not at crossings are trespassing.

Honestly if the city of Ames really wanted to get serious about crossing safety, they'd petition the Federal Railroad Administration for a joint city improvement grant and they could essentially lower the railroad tracks down about 6 feet-10 feet or enough that they could build an overpass at South Duff and not have to have it ramp up a considerable slope from Lincoln Way and then again down a considerable slope to get to Main St. But that would be extremely expensive, in the millions just lowering the tracks that much, and the railroad might not even go along with it. They were in Ames long before Ames was a town after all.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
But if, as you said, ames has a disproportionate number being struck by trains, that would lead you to the conclusion that you might want to look at changing something, whether that be fencing or a further decrease in speed.

Just because the land is private property doesnt mean something shouldnt be done either. In many areas if you want to build a pool on your own property you have to include things that prevent others from ending up in the area.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
And I believe the fencing will occur sometime in the next 5 years. There is no way they'd lower the speed through town, the effects of that would cost much more than fencing.

Let's not act like a multi-billion dollar company like the Union Pacific with lobbyists in Washington has to play by the same rules as a home owner building a pool, especially when it comes to an Iowa town with 50,000 people.

Last edited:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
That's because the tracks in Des Moines are not near as important, nor maintained to the same standard as the East/West mainline. Trains run 70 through Cedar Rapids and that town is hell of a lot bigger than Ames. 40 mph is plently slow enough through town, especially with the gates going down plently early for the on coming trains. But let's not forget, railroad tracks are private property, and anyone on them not at crossings are trespassing.

Honestly if the city of Ames really wanted to get serious about crossing safety, they'd petition the Federal Railroad Administration for a joint city improvement grant and they could essentially lower the railroad tracks down about 6 feet-10 feet or enough that they could build an overpass at South Duff and not have to have it ramp up a considerable slope from Lincoln Way and then again down a considerable slope to get to Main St. But that would be extremely expensive, in the millions just lowering the tracks that much, and the railroad might not even go along with it. They were in Ames long before Ames was a town after all.

The trains do run 70 through cr and it is a larger population BUT the railroad doesn't run anywhere near any real area's of concern, it skirts the south side and runs through mostly industrial area's. Big difference between that and neighborhoods and heavily traveled city streets.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
If this is proven to be an accident, then clearly something needs to be done - particularly if it is true Ames has a proportionately higher rate of incidents. Resident Negligence is going around the barriers in a vehicle with crossing arms down and generally disregarding warnings that a danger is present. If you are simply crossing the tracks then it is reasonable to assume the speed, warnings, etc were not adequate in this or any similar case. The idea that the railroad is bigger than life won't fly in Ames or anywhere else. Trains going through a populated area at a high rate of speed with no chance of stopping is generally a bad idea anyway and whatever means are necessary to reduce the contact of trains and humans should be taken - start with a $1,000 trespassing fine for being on the tracks and use the money for more awareness of the number of tragedies on the line. Ames PD could probably use the revenue, fencing, whatever it takes to stop these types of tragedies. Once as a kid on a slow speed line in NW Iowa it was common to walk the tracks home, one day to my surprise a train approached and his horn about scared me to death - but I am sure glad his horn worked and even though it was only 1 train per day - I never walked those tracks again..

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
If you are simply crossing the tracks then it is reasonable to assume the speed, warnings, etc were not adequate in this or any similar case.

Just so we're clear the spot that the body was found was nowhere near a crossing. In fact the two nearest crossings would've been North Dakota, probably a good 3/4 of a mile away and Hazel St, over a mile away. The only way to get to that spot is to walk through some residential property and some vegetation.

The death I really remember was about 2 years ago. I was working in the area at the time. Some kid must've had the worst week of his life, and it ended up killing him. He had been fired from his job at Sigler (which at the time was located where Wheatsfield grocery is now). He was going to pick up his final paycheck and decided to walk down the tracks to do it, with his ipod on and his head down. Westbound train nailed him even though they did everything in their power to stop and get his attention. Really shook up the train crew also. It's the one thing you never want to hear discussed over the company radio.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Ames has an out of whack number of people being killed due to wandering on to the tracks compared to other towns. Working for the railroad and being from Ames, it's extremely frustrating that people just can't seem to get it through their heads that railroad tracks are very dangerous and they need to stay the **** off of them. They seriously have been throwing around the idea of fencing in the entire tracks through Ames so that people will keep off of them.

honestly, I kind of subscribe to the Darwin theory here. If you're too ******* stupid to stay the hell off the tracks then...survival of the fittest. My sympathy to the railway workers who have to see the leftovers of meatgrinder, that is maybe the only reason worth fencing it.

Reactions: SeattleClone

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
honestly, I kind of subscribe to the Darwin theory here. If you're too ******* stupid to stay the hell off the tracks then...survival of the fittest. My sympathy to the railway workers who have to see the leftovers of meatgrinder, that is maybe the only reason worth fencing it.

That's pretty cold, man.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

I agree with this. No matter how drunk I was while walking over to that pizza place on Main Street by the tracks, I always knew when a train was coming and to stay the hell away.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
If this is proven to be an accident, then clearly something needs to be done - particularly if it is true Ames has a proportionately higher rate of incidents. Resident Negligence is going around the barriers in a vehicle with crossing arms down and generally disregarding warnings that a danger is present. If you are simply crossing the tracks then it is reasonable to assume the speed, warnings, etc were not adequate in this or any similar case. The idea that the railroad is bigger than life won't fly in Ames or anywhere else. Trains going through a populated area at a high rate of speed with no chance of stopping is generally a bad idea anyway and whatever means are necessary to reduce the contact of trains and humans should be taken - start with a $1,000 trespassing fine for being on the tracks and use the money for more awareness of the number of tragedies on the line. Ames PD could probably use the revenue, fencing, whatever it takes to stop these types of tragedies. Once as a kid on a slow speed line in NW Iowa it was common to walk the tracks home, one day to my surprise a train approached and his horn about scared me to death - but I am sure glad his horn worked and even though it was only 1 train per day - I never walked those tracks again..

I'm pretty sure it's already trespassing on (private) railroad property if you are on the tracks other than to cross them.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
From the same hometown (Woodbridge, VA) as Darius Reynolds. Doubt we have too many kids here from a random town in VA...

Thoughts out to her family and friends.

Topshelf

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, IA
There is a fence on both sides of the track at this point of the train tracks.. I knew the person who lived in the house next to that grassy area. There is a fence on the Veenker side and a 6 foot fence on the side closest to 13th. She had to have walked across the bridge or something. She was definitley somewhere she had to work to get to.

This is strange. How does the group lose her and how does she end up on the tracks?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Brennan said the woman who was found on the tracks was cold and wet and said she couldn’t walk any further after reaching the bridge. She took shelter underneath the bridge, and her companion said he would go get a car and come back for her.

While police are not exactly sure of the details and are waiting for an autopsy report on the woman, circumstances indicate that sometime between the time she took shelter under the bridge and her friend left, and when he came back for her, the woman ended up on the tracks and is thought to have been struck by a train.

That doesn't sound like it adds up

Status
Not open for further replies.