Not open for further replies.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
There is a fence on both sides of the track at this point of the train tracks.. I knew the person who lived in the house next to that grassy area. There is a fence on the Veenker side and a 6 foot fence on the side closest to 13th. She had to have walked across the bridge or something. She was definitley somewhere she had to work to get to.

This is strange. How does the group lose her and how does she end up on the tracks?

I lived in that duplex right there in college. Trains barrel through there at night really fast. But it is so loud there is no way you could be surprised by it unless she was passed out drunk.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Am I the only one to notice that she is 19 and was out drinking at a campus town bar? Or is everyone else more focused on the tragic nature of this to bring that up.

It's a sad point and I don't mean to take away from how sad this is, but this is an example of why the drinking age is what it is. I'm not saying I never had a drink before 21, or that I don't have many friends that have. This seems like a situation where a bar could end up being partly liable for serving a minor.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
maybe, but should we fence off interstates too? How about all bridges, rivers, lakes... I mean, there are a lot of dangerous things out there and most people are smart enough just to stay away from them.

Interstates are usually fenced off at the right of way line. I about managed to disembowel myself on a barbed wire fence along the interstate ROW running from cops from a party in high school.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Am I the only one to notice that she is 19 and was out drinking at a campus town bar? Or is everyone else more focused on the tragic nature of this to bring that up.

It's a sad point and I don't mean to take away from how sad this is, but this is an example of why the drinking age is what it is. I'm not saying I never had a drink before 21, or that I don't have many friends that have. This seems like a situation where a bar could end up being partly liable for serving a minor.

Yeah, I thought of that too. Lots of people have fakes though so it's not uncommon for a minor to get served at a campustown bar. If they determine alcohol played a part in her death, then yes they might have something.

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona

Was just going to post the same thing. 19? bar? not a good combination and will probably not end up well for that bar.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm sure they'll test to see what her BAC was when she died.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

I know they said campustown bar, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just the campustown area maybe? But yes, if at a bar I would think the bar could be held liable.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Yes it does... she was almost passed out drunk, he went to get a car because he couldn't carry her... she managed crawl/walk onto the train track and get hit.

But if it was raining and cold, why would you leave from under the bridge?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

I could also argue that if alcohol had always been legal for anyone to drink at a much younger age (as in some European countries), some people might not feel compelled to go out and get smashed because they want to feel like a rebel when they are drinking underage.

This is not a direct indictment of this individual, but could be conveyed as the attitude of many underage drinkers. It's the cool thing to do because it's "bad" and you're breaking the rules. Make it legal, and fewer kids will want to do it, IMO.

Nevertheless, this situation could happen to anyone who has had way too much to drink. Sad situation, my thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
here is what I don't get. You cannot easily access the tracks from under the bridge.

ames iowa - Google Maps

If she was soo tired that she couldn't walk, she would have to be pretty determined and aware of what she was doing to get back there, then cross the bridge.

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
It is possible that she could have been drinking prior to going to the bar and was just in Campustown to hang out. There's drunk underage kids all over that area all the time (they want Super Dogs, etc.), but most of them don't drink while they're there.

I'm also very curious as to whether or not the guy she was with was drinking. If he was drunk, then he shouldn't have been driving to come get her. If he was sober, then I think he'd realize it was a bad idea to walk the length of campus in the cold rain and then leave a drunk girl (who, since she insisted she couldn't walk any further, could not have been in good condition) alone under a bridge next to a road in the middle of the night.

Legend12

May 9, 2008
Another possibility...her friend goes to get the car...something/someone scares her and she tries to hide, climbing the embankment to get away from the threat (real or perceived)

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Another possibility...her friend goes to get the car...something/someone scares her and she tries to hide, climbing the embankment to get away from the threat (real or perceived)

maybe she saw a van approaching up 13th St. with a smiley face painted on the hood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron