Bad Bad Bad News... 6 Big 12 Teams Potentially to Pac Ten

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
And we can go back to the point of why would Texas want to leave? Unless there's a MAJOR tv deal, right now they have an easy way to make a LOT of money (check the numbers, they're either 1 or 2 for most money made by an athletics dept.) and an easy route to get close to the national title every year.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
It's blowing up on all the PAC 10 boards right now... barely being talked about in the free parts of other Big XII boards though. I'm nervous. COME ON JP!!!! WORK YOUR MAGIC!

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
The current MWC is inches away from being a BCS league. If you add 4 schools from a BCS conference, and another Top 5 team, how the hell WOULDN'T that league achieve AQ status? If it was ISU, KU, KSU, and Baylor joining the Sun Belt, you'd have a point.

It's becoming more and more evident that the MWC is getting close to getting their AQ status. TCU, BYU and Utah are becoming perennial powers in football with SDSU and CSU and Air Force making solid runs every so often. It's only a matter of time.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
That is the one thing I don't quite understand?

Why would Texas want to do this? Right now their only obstacle to the National Championship is Oklahoma. Under this scenario, they would still have to play OU, but in addition to that, would also have to face USC in the conference title game each and every single year.

I guess I'm not sure what is in it for teams like Texas and teams in the Big 10? They have all the money they need. Why make the competition level a lot harder?

If I were the Big 10, I'd just stay right where they are. Every team makes out like bandits money-wise, they have their own succesful TV network, etc. What more do you want?

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
If the Big 12 lost 8 members and had to invite new schools, this would be neat.

Big 12 EAST
ISU
KU
KSU
Cincinnati
Lousiville
Memphis

Big 12 WEST
Baylor
TCU
BYU
Utah
Boisie State
Air Force

Why not? The Big 12 already has AQ status and the 4 original schools keep the buyout money.

Reactions: jsmith86

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's blowing up on all the PAC 10 boards right now... barely being talked about in the free parts of other Big XII boards though. I'm nervous. COME ON JP!!!! WORK YOUR MAGIC!

Again... what kind of power do you think JP has? I'll tell you... NONE!

What bargaining power does he have? We are lowly ISU. When the Texas' and OU's of the world are at the table talking... they probably just laugh at JP. They probably say... "Who are you again... and why are you here?".

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Last time I looked, a MWC team beat the SEC and Big 12 teams they played in BCS bowls-the games were Utah over Pitt (Fiesta) and Utah over Alabama (Sugar).

They're still going to bring in less money in any new conference. Losing the big schools hurts Iowa State financially.

This news would be great if it somehow pushed the Big Ten to add five teams, including Iowa State. Second best news would be the Big 12 remaining.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If the Big 12 lost 8 members and had to invite new schools, this would be neat.

Big 12 EAST
ISU
KU
KSU
Cincinnati
Lousiville
Memphis

Big 12 WEST
Baylor
TCU
BYU
Utah
Boisie State
Air Force

Why not? The Big 12 already has AQ status and the 4 original schools keep the buyout money.

That's one of the better scenarios I've seen. Good job. I'd take that arrangement.

Although, I don't think Hoiberg would like it. Our division would be an absolute bear for basketball. Are you kidding me... Kansas, Memphis, Louisville, Cincy, and KSU! 4 of those teams were top 15 teams this year, weren't they?

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
How can you not mention TCU? CSU is really starting to come into their own as well.

My bad. Forgot about them. Although if we're really serious about this whole bring in new members to what remains of the Big XII, my vote goes to Tulsa. Though I may be slightly biased since that's where I'm going to grad school.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
That's one of the better scenarios I've seen. Good job. I'd take that arrangement.

Although, I don't think Hoiberg would like it. Our division would be an absolute bear for basketball. Are you kidding me... Kansas, Memphis, Louisville, Cincy, and KSU! 4 of those teams were top 15 teams this year, weren't they?

The other side would be ******* terrible too.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
My bad. Forgot about them. Although if we're really serious about this whole bring in new members to what remains of the Big XII, my vote goes to Tulsa. Though I may be slightly biased since that's where I'm going to grad school.

I'm liking what they have been doing recently. May not be a bad choice.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Again... what kind of power do you think JP has? I'll tell you... NONE!

What bargaining power does he have? We are lowly ISU. When the Texas' and OU's of the world are at the table talking... they probably just laugh at JP. They probably say... "Who are you again... and why are you here?".

I'm not saying he has power. I'm saying he always seems to have something up his sleeve, so we'll see.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
That is the one thing I don't quite understand?

Why would Texas want to do this?
Right now their only obstacle to the National Championship is Oklahoma. Under this scenario, they would still have to play OU, but in addition to that, would also have to face USC in the conference title game each and every single year.

I guess I'm not sure what is in it for teams like Texas and teams in the Big 10? They have all the money they need. Why make the competition level a lot harder?

If I were the Big 10, I'd just stay right where they are. Every team makes out like bandits money-wise, they have their own succesful TV network, etc. What more do you want?

The ACC-ESPN deal was worth somewhere in the $150 million/year range. They do this, there's going to be a MASSIVE TV deal for the new conference. If we put it at $200 million, 200/16 = $12.5 million per year (assuming equal sharing...we all know how Texas feels about that). Add in that Texas gets exposure to virtually every major media market west of the Mississippi (Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle...) and gets to play games on the West Coast every year, not necessarily against the big-name schools (even so, you think Texas is afraid of USC? Cal? UCLA? Oregon State?)

You've got four big recruiting markets in the US:
California
Texas
Ohio/Michigan/Penn
Florida

The new conference has roots in two of them, the SEC owns Florida, and the Big 10 owns the midwest. They'd be set for life.