Bad Bad Bad News... 6 Big 12 Teams Potentially to Pac Ten

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
NO...Right now the big 12 only exists on paper only....

Boys this baby is the football equivilant of the TITANIC and its ready to go down boys, with ISU-KU-KSU-and Baylor on board!!

Quick everyone ....MAN THE LIFEBOATS....:biglaugh:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj-1b1Yvep8]YouTube - Nearer My God To Thee[/ame]

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
Colorado AD expects Pac-10 invitations

Posted at 7:06 PM on Thu., Jun. 3, 2010
Chuck Carlton / Reporter

It sure seems like that report of six Big 12 teams receiving Pac-10 invites might have a lot of truth behind it.

At least that's the view of Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn, who might win an award for his candor at the Big 12 meetings.

He told the Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera that he and other Colorado officials do believe the Pac-10 will issue invitations to the Buffaloes and five Big 12 South members -- Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
Here's the telling quote:

"The longer that we were together in Kansas City it appeared that that rumor or speculation did have some validity to it," Bohn told the newspaper.

Interestingly, the Pac-10 issued a statement late Thursday from commissioner Larry Scott. I read, in part: "While many interesting scenarios have been suggested in numerous news reports, around the country, we remain focused on a thorough evaluation process that examines all of the options for increasing the value of the conference for our member institutions, our student athletes and our fans. We have not developed any definitive plans. We have not extended any invitations for expansion and we do not anticipate any such decisions in the near term."

Colorado AD expects Pac-10 invitations | College Sports Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | The Dallas Morning News

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Putting Washington, Washington State, and Colorado in the same division would damn near guarantee someone 3 wins.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
You guys put wayyyyy too much stock into recent football results in the conference shakedowns.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
With the Big 12 being an AQ conference, I can't imagine any of those schools saying no unless there is another offer from one of the 4 future super conferences.... assuming that 4 super conferences happen.

Especially Cincy and Louisville since the football side of the Big East is looking worse and worse every year. If Rutgers leaves for the Big 10, the Big East is ****ed for football.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
They're still going to bring in less money in any new conference. Losing the big schools hurts Iowa State financially.

This news would be great if it somehow pushed the Big Ten to add five teams, including Iowa State. Second best news would be the Big 12 remaining.

I think it makes sense for the Big 10 to add KU, KSU, Neb, Mizzou and ISU if the 6 teams go to the Pac-10.

The Football in the Big 10 would be slightly strengthened, Basketball would be greatly strengthened and the Big 10 would only add to its already dominate Alumni base by adding KU and Neb.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
There is a LOT of smoke now folks. Too many people making comments about this. And not just reporters, but AD's and presidents and such.

I think these teams are gone. Then Nebraska and Mizzou will be gone to the Big 10. That is the most likely scenario right now.

JP and Geoffrey had better be on the phone pretty quick to find us a conference. If not, I guess we'll just join the MAC.

I just can't believe that the Kansas Jayhawk basketball team will now be a mid-major. I never EVER envisioned that would happen.

Screw college athletics. It sucks. This will destroy everything, but so be it. They will get their wish.

It is sad seeing a great thing that may be ruined because of greed. This could really mess up college athletics and all its history.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I think it makes sense for the Big 10 to add KU, KSU, Neb, Mizzou and ISU if the 6 teams go to the Pac-10.

The Football in the Big 10 would be slightly strengthened, Basketball would be greatly strengthened and the Big 10 would only add to its already dominate Alumni base by adding KU and Neb.

I think the problem is that this does little to add TV markets. The only truely unique market gained would be Kansas City. St. Louis and Omaha have slight coverage from neighboring Big Ten states.

It is PERFECT for geographical rivalries.

Kansas State would be a HARD sell to the Big Ten for its academics. But Kansas (and KC?) Could be enough to overcome that?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Since the Big12 conference has the contracts for the bowls and TV rights, does it matter in these contracts whether the Big12 South leaves? If this happens and the eight teams are replaced the revised Big12 will still retain these bowl and TV contracts correct? I have no idea how long these contracts are good for, but it should help for the first few years and give incentive for teams to join if asked.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
So say this happens and now these teams are left out to dry:

-Nebraska
-Mizzou
-ISU
-Kansas
-K-State
-Baylor

I put them in order of least to most potential of being screwed.

Nebraska: Sound financially. AAU. Welcome to the Big 10..err..12

Mizzou: OK, you're AAU...your academics aren't great...eh, you play Illinois and have the Kansas City and St. Louis markets. Welcome to the Big 10..uh...13.

--------------------------- Line of Screwmarkation

ISU: Well...you're AAU, good school, but you don't have much of a TV market.

Kansas: Again, AAU school, but not connected to any current Big 10 state, and you can't be separated from your ******** half-brother without the state's permission. Nice basketball team, though.

K-State: Um...Tier 3 school. Thank God you're tied to KU, right?

Baylor: OK, you're a good school, but you're private, baptist, and a little weird. You hitched a ride to this party with your bigger brothers (UT, A&M), and your moron of a step-brother (Tech), and now you don't fit in. You don't seem like you'd fit in the SEC, you're not in the East or on a Coast...oh look! Some old friends of yours! Say "hi" to Houston, Rice, and SMU in the C-USA for us!

I'd say best case for us is hitching a ride to the Big 10 with Mizzou and NU. Add Notre Dame and/or a Big East school or two and you've got 16. BEST possible case. Kansas might be seriously screwed by their tie to KSU.

Next best case is no realignment.

Below that is merging with the MWC. KU, KSU, ISU, Boise, and ISU make 14. Steal another team or two from the WAC and you've got 16.

Worst case involves the MAC. In which case, we're ****ed.

Last edited:
Reactions: enisthemenace

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
So this happens and now these teams are left out to dry:

-Nebraska
-Mizzou
-ISU
-Kansas
-K-State
-Baylor

Mizzou: OK, you're AAU...your academics aren't great...eh, you play Illinois and have the Kansas City and St. Louis markets. Welcome to the Big 10..uh...13.

ISU: Well...you're AAU, good school, but you don't have much of a fan base.

Kansas: Again, AAU school, but not connected to any current Big 10 state, and you can't be separated with your ******** half-brother without the state's permission. Nice basketball team, though.

Baylor: OK, you're a good school, but you're private, baptist, and a little weird. You hitched a ride to this party with your bigger brothers (UT, A&M), and your ******* step-brother (Tech), and now you don't fit in. You don't seem like you'd fit in the SEC, you're not in the East or on a Coast...oh look! Some old friends of yours! Say "hi" to Houston, Rice, and SMU in the C-USA for us!

I'd say best case for us is hitching a ride to the Big 10 with Mizzou and NU. Add Notre Dame and/or a Big East school or two and you've got 16. BEST possible case. Kansas might be seriously screwed by their tie to KSU.

Below that is merging with the MWC. KU, KSU, ISU, Boise, and ISU make 14. Steal another team or two from the WAC and you've got 16.

We have a fan base. What about that one weirdo guy who dresses up goofy and has his picture on all the NCAA Football games??? Granted, he's a super freak.....but he shows we have a great fan base.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
We have a fan base. What about that one weirdo guy who dresses up goofy and has his picture on all the NCAA Football games??? Granted, he's a super freak.....but he shows we have a great fan base.

Yeah, that guy's an ***hat. I meant to say "TV market". Fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
So say this happens and now these teams are left out to dry:

-Nebraska
-Mizzou
-ISU
-Kansas
-K-State
-Baylor

ISU: Well...you're AAU, good school, but you don't have much of a fan base.

Kansas: Again, AAU school, but not connected to any current Big 10 state, and you can't be separated from your ******** half-brother without the state's permission. Nice basketball team, though.

Baylor: OK, you're a good school, but you're private, baptist, and a little weird. You hitched a ride to this party with your bigger brothers (UT, A&M), and your moron of a step-brother (Tech), and now you don't fit in. You don't seem like you'd fit in the SEC, you're not in the East or on a Coast...oh look! Some old friends of yours! Say "hi" to Houston, Rice, and SMU in the C-USA for us!

Serious thought here. If we go MWC + Big 12 North (-NU -Mizzou) do you really see Iowa State, K-State, and KU casting Baylor to the cold? It seems to make sense to keep Baylor for the Texas recruiting as well as a rival for TCU (those Christians sure know how to rumble!). I just don't know that I see "the Final Four" ditching Baylor and screwing them. I know every man for themselves, but I just don't see it.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Well this was a somewhat despressing read. For those that said relax, nothing's gonna happen, I really hope you're right. I've read all the past realignment threads with mild interest but I really don't like the way this one's setting things up. Guess we'll know more after this weekend, huh

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
But, but Jon Miller believes it...:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I believe the Big 12 as we have known it will not exist beyond four years, absolutely. The Big 12 and the Big East are going to get poached and lose the most teams. Just who and when exactly, of course none of us knows.

Help Support Us

Become a patron