Why Is Everyone So Confused/Upset Today ??

AustinCyclone

Nov 17, 2006
Austin, TX
- This is a 10 team conference. No additional teams will be added.
- There will not be a conference championship game.
- There will not be north and south divisions.
- We will play 9 conference games every year.
- The 'current' TV deal will pay the same amount through 2012.
- The 'new' TV deal stating in 2012 will pay ISU $14-$17 million annually. $10 million more than we make now!
- The new TV contract will be via ESPN/ABC and Fox.
- There will be HUGE penalties if teams try to leave. So no schools are going anywhere.
- ISU will not receive any of the NU/CU buyout money. i.e. JP/GG gave up a $2 million one time payment to secure the future of our athletic program AND to gain $10 million annually.

Considering 2 days ago we were praying for the Big East, hoping for the Mtn West, and fearing the MAC... you guys are ******* and moaning about how this turned out?!?! At the risk of sounding like a high school girl: SERIOUSLY???

novaclone

Apr 26, 2010
Herndon, Va
- The 'new' TV deal stating in 2012 will pay ISU $14-$17 million annually. $10 million more than we make now!
- There will be HUGE penalties if teams try to leave. So no schools are going anywhere.
- ISU will not receive any of the NU/CU buyout money. i.e. JP/GG gave up a $2 million one time payment to secure the future of our athletic program AND to gain $10 million annually.

Considering 2 days ago we were praying for the Big East, hoping for the Mtn West, and fearing the MAC... you guys are ******* and moaning about how this turned out?!?! At the risk of sounding like a high school girl: SERIOUSLY???

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

Not so sure about this part.

XLK9

Dec 31, 2009
Ames

UNLESS TEXAS DECIDES DIFFERENTLY ON ANY OF YOUR POINTS ABOVE.

But I do agree that we are in a much better situation - at least temporarily - than we were last week.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Because there are whiners out there who are scared to play UT and OU every year.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Uh, there isn't any penalty for teams leaving. I realize they needed to do this but I have a feeling its going to come back and bite us in the *** in the near future. How can you not have the schools sign anything? Thats just dumb.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm in agreement. Beggars can't be choosers and we were the definition of a beggar. Is the road to a bowl tougher? Yep. But I'm far happier with a tougher row to hoe than playing as a midmajor. We'll be fine. Stop ******** and start donating so we are in a better position should this (/ when this) happens again.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The reason why I'm not happy with this is because there is nothing iron clad in this - Texas is free to change this deal whenever it behooves them because as long as 7 of the 10 members (not including A&M, OU, and UT) are just HAPPY to be in a BCS conference regardless of the terms, Texas is free to say "jump" and the rest of us are going to have to say "how high?"

Am I excited about still being in a BCS conference now that the dust appears to be settling? Of course Am I stoked about the possibilities of the ISU AD pulling in $17mil annually, especially knowing what JP can do on a shoestring budget? Of course. Am I thrilled that ISU is pretty much all but guaranteed having every single football game on TV from now on? Naturally. The problem is none of this is guaranteed. This conference exists as long as it offers Texas the best benefits, so there's no guarantee it's here tomorrow. Which means just because we dodged a gigantic bullet and are still in a BCS conference today does not mean the same thing will be true tomorrow or 5 years from now. Second, that ~$17mil doesn't go into effect until 2012 at the earliest, maybe not until 2015. That's a lot of time to wait, and who says Texas doesn't change the terms before then?

Look, I'm somewhat satisfied (I think that's an appropriate term) that ISU has survived to live another day. But this is even beyond cautiously optimistic - I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and waiting for Texas to once again tell ISU that it's time to jump...

Reactions: sdillon500

LuptonPitman

Jun 14, 2010
Britt Iowa
The reason why I'm not happy with this is because there is nothing iron clad in this - Texas is free to change this deal whenever it behooves them because as long as 7 of the 10 members (not including A&M, OU, and UT) are just HAPPY to be in a BCS conference regardless of the terms, Texas is free to say "jump" and the rest of us are going to have to say "how high?"

Am I excited about still being in a BCS conference now that the dust appears to be settling? Of course Am I stoked about the possibilities of the ISU AD pulling in $17mil annually, especially knowing what JP can do on a shoestring budget? Of course. Am I thrilled that ISU is pretty much all but guaranteed having every single football game on TV from now on? Naturally. The problem is none of this is guaranteed. This conference exists as long as it offers Texas the best benefits, so there's no guarantee it's here tomorrow. Which means just because we dodged a gigantic bullet and are still in a BCS conference today does not mean the same thing will be true tomorrow or 5 years from now. Second, that ~$17mil doesn't go into effect until 2012 at the earliest, maybe not until 2015. That's a lot of time to wait, and who says Texas doesn't change the terms before then?

Look, I'm somewhat satisfied (I think that's an appropriate term) that ISU has survived to live another day. But this is even beyond cautiously optimistic - I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and waiting for Texas to once again tell ISU that it's time to jump...

I understand all the concerns but how is it different than what we have had in the past 12 years?? Texas runs the show. The End. Tom Osbourne didnt like it so he left for a better offer. Did ISU have a better offer?? No.

We are in the same boat, the conference could break down at any time but this past few weeks have shown us its ALWAYS been that way. We just didnt know it. All this........and we will make twice as much money.

Add in 2 BCS teams now (maybe) with no championship game, even more money??? We still have work to get better to compete. That hasnt changed and never will change.

Go Cyclones.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Not sure about these parts either.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

This. This whole post sums up exactly how I felt. I was freaking pumped yesterday when I heard the news that conference would stay together. Then today when Captain *******.... I mean Commissioner Beebe got up there and began talking the story changed. No new tv deal is in hand, there are no buyouts to leave under the new deal as of today, The Axis of Evil/Legion of Doom/Sons of Satan/ or however you want to refer to them (Texas, Texas A&M, and OU) committed outright extortion in taking all of the CU & NU buyout money as a bribe for staying put, etc....

So it seems that the more things change the more they stay the same. This worries me. How can our conference commissioner, university presidents, and AD's sit by and watch the first official acts of the newly configured Big XII Conference be 3 teams holding the other 7 hostage for bribe money or else they kill the whole deal? I was hoping for just a bit more of a showing of solidarity then that. Ouch. Let's hope that trend doesn't continue.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

Nice summation...pretty much spot on. This is a best possible outcome for ISU.

Listened to Mack Brown on ESPN Radio earlier and I gather that he really likes not having a conference championship game every year to have to hurdle in order to get into the BCS.

His comment was (paraphrasing) "we are pretty much like all other schools...we want to compete and win our league, go to a BCS game, and hopefully play in the BCS Championship game".

Obviously, he hasn't been reading the posts of some here on CF who want to split revenue evenly with everyone, would prefer to play an easier schedule that avoids the 'powerhouse' teams because it is certain we will be pounded, and are just fine and dandy with us just barely getting a low tier bowl invite once every 5 years or so.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I see no reason to be confused or upset. We are a Big 12 member who is more financially secure today that what we were last year.

However, there are upset and confused people today in Iowa City. A stronger Iowa State is an outcome they never expected.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I see no reason to be confused or upset. We are a Big 12 member who is more financially secure today that what we were last year.

However, there are upset and confused people today in Iowa City. A stronger Iowa State is an outcome they never expected.

Only time will tell. I would hope this will be how it plays out but that can only happen if our owner Deloss Dodd's and his posse allow it to be that way.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Only time will tell. I would hope this will be how it plays out but that can only happen if our owner Deloss Dodd's and his posse allow it to be that way.

Meh, who cares if UT runs the conference, Its not like we have much of a say anyway.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
This. This whole post sums up exactly how I felt. I was freaking pumped yesterday when I heard the news that conference would stay together. Then today when Captain *******.... I mean Commissioner Beebe got up there and began talking the story changed. No new tv deal is in hand, there are no buyouts to leave under the new deal as of today, The Axis of Evil/Legion of Doom/Sons of Satan/ or however you want to refer to them (Texas, Texas A&M, and OU) committed outright extortion in taking all of the CU & NU buyout money as a bribe for staying put, etc....

So it seems that the more things change the more they stay the same. This worries me. How can our conference commissioner, university presidents, and AD's sit by and watch the first official acts of the newly configured Big XII Conference be 3 teams holding the other 7 hostage for bribe money or else they kill the whole deal? I was hoping for just a bit more of a showing of solidarity then that. Ouch. Let's hope that trend doesn't continue.
4286197340_9623524c4e.jpg
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTbx.KB...ww.flickr.com/photos/22070130@N07/4286197340/

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
gee, let's see, low on the totem pole in power conference - going to more than double our revenue and keep alongside our tradition rivals from the big 8 sans NU and CU, top of the totem poll in a non-BCS conference, or in a BCS conference making less than half the revenue we do now....not a hard decision.

Is it "fair?" well from their perspective, they are the ones making all the money, so why shouldn't they get "their" fair share.