Jon Miller

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
I find it rather convenient that wrestling is dominating the conversation today on Miller and on SoundOff last night. Wrestling is the new favorite sport for most Hawk fans because that is one of the few sports they actually beat us at this year. I've got a question, would wrestling be dominating the conversation on Miller today had ISU won? I'll give you that it was an upset and our basketball teams aren't exactly spectacular, but wrestling usually doesn't get this much press, especially after an Iowa/ISU basketball game happening on the same weekend. Right or wrong, the press typically pays more attention to men's basketball here, even though wrestling is popular. Not trying to be a hater Jon, I like your show and listen whenever I can, but it does seem convenient.

If you were an Iowa fan, why wouldn't you talk about the one positive thing you have going for you right now? For Iowa, that's wrestling.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Is Miller honestly spending the ENTIRE show on Wrestling... I realize some of you like the sport but I would guess the overwhelming majority doesn't care much...

Miller really doesnt know anything about any sport except football...his show is as close to impossible to listen to outside of football season. That's just the truth...Dikta or any other football guy doesnt break down the NBA or MLB dont know why KXNO pays JM to be on air outside of college football season.

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
If you guys worked in radio in this market, you would know that that day is not a day you would want to miss...that's basically a show up for work 2 minutes before you go on the air day....those are the days that you want to work, even though Iowa lost and I support Iowa, it's an easy show, even a fun show. I would have much rather dealt with that than coughing up green gack.
Jon, I'm just giving you a bad time. It wouldn't have been so bad, if your replacements weren't talking about off-season MLB moves for most of the show.

'Clones Fan

Nov 13, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You are joking on Wrestling being the new favorite sport for Iowa fans, right? If ISU had won, I would have had Andy Hamilton on at 2:30 to talk about it, and I would have had Cael on at 3:05 to talk about it, and then played the Brands post match audio at 3:30.

It is one of the biggest sporting events in this state, each year, and right now, what else locally is worthy of leading off the week with, if not this? The men's basketball teams? That's tough to go for two hours on...I will talk to coaches from both sides later this week.

Iowa and ISU women's hoops? The board would be ripping me for spending time on that so much...

The Iowa Energy? Not gonna do that probably

Iowans love wrestling...not all, but a lot of them....and the annual Iowa-Iowa State dual meet has been the biggest attraction in the sport, outside of the national tournament for the majority of the past 25 years...the entire sport.

I think at times even Iowans take all of this for granted.

Jon, you will never convince me that more people, even in Iowa, care more about ISU vs. Iowa in wrestling than ISU vs Iowa in Basketball. It isn't even close. We could not compare the support for the two because it is like comparing apples and oranges. Even in wrestlings best state, it is still second fiddle to basketball. The SECOND biggest sporting event in Iowa every year is ISU vs Iowa basketball.

That is why ISU beating the hawkeyes should have been your lead story.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
You are joking on Wrestling being the new favorite sport for Iowa fans, right?

Yes, it was tounge in cheek. It's obviously football and it's not even close. Just a little jab :smile:

It is one of the biggest sporting events in this state, each year, and right now, what else locally is worthy of leading off the week with, if not this? The men's basketball teams? That's tough to go for two hours on...I will talk to coaches from both sides later this week.

I think it deserves a little more time even though both teams are bad. I agree it's tough to go 2 hours on though.

The Iowa Energy? That topic is occupied.

lol...you're right there, that might be a topic for the other Miller to tackle! I feel a fight brewing in the studio between the hours of 4 and 7.

Iowans love wrestling...not all, but a lot of them....and the annual Iowa-Iowa State dual meet has been the biggest attraction in the sport, outside of the national tournament for the majority of the past 25 years...the entire sport.

I think at times even Iowans take all of this for granted.

I agree, put me in the boat for taking it for granted too. But why is this the year to bring that much-needed attention to it? Just curiousity on my part. There have been a lot of huge matchups between Iowa/ISU in wrestling over the years but I've never heard as much about the meet as I did this year. It's not just you, it's most every media outlet in the state. They act as if the men's basketball game didn't even happen.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Jon, you will never convince me that more people, even in Iowa, care more about ISU vs. Iowa in wrestling than ISU vs Iowa in Basketball. It isn't even close. We could not compare the support for the two because it is like comparing apples and oranges. Even in wrestlings best state, it is still second fiddle to basketball. The SECOND biggest sporting event in Iowa every year is ISU vs Iowa basketball.

In most years, I don't disagree with you. This year, and I am on the message boards for both teams every single day, and I talk to fans from both schools every single day, and I take calls and get emails from fans every single day, this year, the Iowa-ISU dual meet was much more discussed and talked about.

Go back here on the boards leading up to the Iowa-ISU MBB game Saturday, and see for yourself. It was the same everywhere.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street

So true...ask anyone ISU or UI to name 5 wrestlers then ask the same 5 to name basketball players.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I agree, put me in the boat for taking it for granted too. But why is this the year to bring that much-needed attention to it? Just curiousity on my part. There have been a lot of huge matchups between Iowa/ISU in wrestling over the years but I've never heard as much about the meet as I did this year. It's not just you, it's most every media outlet in the state. They act as if the men's basketball game didn't even happen.

Have Iowa and ISU MBB ever been this bad at the same time? There is your answer

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny

I dont know.

I do know that Iowa and ISU have the worst guards I have ever seen.
Haluska and Peterson ... horrible

Freeman and Peterson.... HORRIBLE

JJ can shoot SOMETIMES, but other than that he is worthless.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I dont know.

I do know that Iowa and ISU have the worst guards I have ever seen.
Haluska and Peterson ... horrible

Freeman and Peterson.... HORRIBLE

JJ can shoot SOMETIMES, but other than that he is worthless.

If you had Freeman and Peterson, and healthy, you would fight for an NCAA bid.

'Clones Fan

Nov 13, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
In most years, I don't disagree with you. This year, and I am on the message boards for both teams every single day, and I talk to fans from both schools every single day, and I take calls and get emails from fans every single day, this year, the Iowa-ISU dual meet was much more discussed and talked about.

Go back here on the boards leading up to the Iowa-ISU MBB game Saturday, and see for yourself. It was the same everywhere.

Jon, this year is the perfect example. Both basketball teams are terrible, Iowa is more terrible, and both wrestling teams are great. Even in a year like this, basketballs popularity dwarfs wrestling.

I have no problem with wrestling being discussed,l it obviously should, but comeon, you are just looking for something positive to talk about for Iowa, just admit it.

And, you must not have been reading Cyclone Fanatic, because there is at least 10-1 more posts for basketball for wrestling.

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

There may have been alot of discussion about the meet but I can assure you the number of people doing the discussing wasn't very large. I wonder how many people don't even click on the wrestling threads? I have tried to like wrestling, believe me I have. I had friends that wrestled at Iowa State and went to every home meet/match/game whatever my first year at ISU and still don't like it...

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa

Probably...but there are a ton of storylines that I personally would be interested in, and I'm sure a lot of people on this board would like these things discussed. Like maybe this...Iowa has a new coach in his first big in-state rivalry game (with all due respect to UNI and Drake, lord knows they beat us down pretty good). There's a story. How about the first matchup of GMac and Lickliter, how did it go, any interesting observations from the stands about the chess match those two played? There's a story. How about the Tony Freeman situation, will he redshirt this year, did he hurt his foot again at UNI or is it just sore? There's a story. How much does Tony Freeman actually mean to this Hawkeye team? Where did Jake Kelly's performance come from and do you expect to see more? How about Coach Lickliter saying something to the Iowa fanbase to get their butts to Carver and support their team? And that just scratches the surface from the Hawkeye side of things. How about GMac getting the in-state losing streak monkey off his back? How about Wesley Johnson looking better coming off an injury? He won't redshirt now will he? How about Jiri Hubalek finally *hopefully* waking up and playing with a purpose? How about Diante Garrett looking like he's wanting to play some good defense and making a great case to put him in the starting lineup? What can either team learn from this win/loss?

There's plenty to talk about, and I for one would care, but for the most part the media has taken the perceived apathy of the fan bases and have become apathetic themselves (although I disagree with the fanbase apathy from the ISU standpoint, I think ISU bball fans are doing their part and showing up to games, not the case with Iowa this year so far for whatever reason, not a jab, just an observation).

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Iowa fans are apathetic therefore ISU fans must be. Our team is bad but we still support them and want to discuss them. If Iowa would have won the game I bet Jon would have spent more time on it. Just a theory. :wink:

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Guys, he's the stinkin' founder of HawkeyeNation.com. That doesn't exactly make him beholden to ISU. And he's not doing a newscast, so he's not obligated to be "fair and balanced," whatever that's worth these days.

It seems like you expected him to come on the radio and say, "You know what? Screw Iowa. I'm an ISU fan now!" just because we won the basketball game.

I'll repeat what I said before: If you were an Iowa fan and had a radio show where you could talk about pretty much whatever you want, why would you NOT talk a bunch about your wrestling team beating the number one team in the country--who also happens to be your in-state rival--in their own building?

And if they had beaten us in the basketball game, of course he would have talked more about it. It would have been a pretty damn good weekend for Iowa.

Frankly, I'm amazed he gets as much attention on these boards as he does. You guys keep bringing him up, and that only feeds the fire.

[/rant]

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron