Professor wants to meet me personally...

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
I gave a whole business plan to a good friend that was at Simpson at the time. I got a B on it at Iowa, and he got an A on it at Simpson.

Hmmm. Gave me a new perspective about the grading system. Different and very subjective.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I use the website Turnitin.com for my students. Pretty cool. It shows what percentage could be considered copied, where they got it from and then it shows you samples of both documents so you can compare. Pretty funny bringing kids in and asking them to explain their paper with a 90% similarity rating.

Reactions: LindenCy

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Where are we with this? I'm going to need an update stat. Can we get some resolution today? Are you taking an official visit to DMACC?

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
I use the website Turnitin.com for my students. Pretty cool. It shows what percentage could be considered copied, where they got it from and then it shows you samples of both documents so you can compare. Pretty funny bringing kids in and asking them to explain their paper with a 90% similarity rating.

When I was at the Univ. of Houston I had a student turn in a "paper" that he had simply printed off from a website. It even had the URL at the bottom of each page. Didn't need turnitin.com for that one.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I had this happen once in "History of American Pop Culture" once...the guy had asked us to write a paper about an event that changed pop culture in the last 100 years. I wrote about Magic Johnson's HIV announcement. He called me in to tell me that I was missing the bigger issue that he was African American and playing in the NBA and that he was giving me a D because of it. :confused:

After I gave him the numbers on African Americans in the NBA he backed off and gave me a B-.

After working the real world for 15 year now, one thing I have learned is that professors don't understand a lot about what happens outside of the classroom. They are brilliant people when it comes to research and academics but real world application is missing.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
It's been almost 24 hours since I replied. Don't know what the hold up is.

Ah...see, you called his bluff. He had nothing but a suspicion you might have copied and sent a vague email to see if he could get you to flinch enough that you convict yourself. Just wait him out and don't blink and you can beat this thing.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
One summer I was taking a Business Ethics course online and got pretty drunk one Thursday night and failed to complete my paper for Friday. I went ahead and "sent" in my homework stating 'attached in the assignment' and just did not attach anything. I waited a couple days to receive the 'nothing was attached' email to respond 'oops here it is', however I got nothing, checked Web CT a few days later and had a score of 92 for the assignment.

Reactions: ianoconnor

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
One summer I was taking a Business Ethics course online and got pretty drunk one Thursday night and failed to complete my paper for Friday. I went ahead and "sent" in my homework stating 'attached in the assignment' and just did not attach anything. I waited a couple days to receive the 'nothing was attached' email to respond 'oops here it is', however I got nothing, checked Web CT a few days later and had a score of 92 for the assignment.

haha ive done that many times in school and at previous jobs, works everytime.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado

Wow that's pretty good.

I had the same sort of thing happen but I had to actually do the paper. Supposed to just walk up and everyone hand them in, and then she grades and gives back next class. I decided to act like I did it and acted puzzled when I didn't get one back. She said she must have lost it and told me to email it to her when I got home. Of course I had finished by then and got full credit. :D

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
That doesn't sound ethical...

One summer I was taking a Business Ethics course online and got pretty drunk one Thursday night and failed to complete my paper for Friday. I went ahead and

That was the best part, it was a Business Ethics class. I guess it's to be expected though as I was taking a few online classes from DMACC as it was a cheap way to fill in some courses.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV9xFtchPts]Billy Madison - business ethics - YouTube[/ame]