Football Recruiting...Last 10 Scholarships

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Chizik has said he expects about 25 recruits and currently we have 15, so here is who I think we should get with the remaining scholarships.

Maurice Gray 4* Corner
Maurice Gray - Football Recruiting

Joe King 6'6 297 lb. tackle
Joe King - Football Recruiting

Adrin Haughton 6'4 323 lb. defensive tackle/offensive guard from Florida 4.9-40
Adrin Haughton - Football Recruiting

Leonard Johnson 5'10 Corner from largo florida. great athlete
Leonard Johnson - Football Recruiting

Zaviar Gooden. Same town as newly committed Darius Darks. 6'2 195 lb. 4.4-40 from Texas. Currently not in top 4 but hopefully that could change.
Zaviar Gooden - Football Recruiting

Willie Carter 6'2 210 lb Athlete from Texas. Had been previously committed to tulsa. Seems like a good athlete and our staff wants him so I want him.
Willie Carter - Football Recruiting

A Kicker. I dont know anything about them but I want somebody with a strong leg for kickoffs. Be nice to have somebody make some field goals as well. there are several prospects and chizik has said before he has no idea how to evalulte a kicker. So hopefully the special teams coach can identify a good one. Either of these will work
Zach Guyer Profile - Football Recruiting
Grant Mahoney - Football Recruiting

Evan Epstein. Offensive Center from Texas. 6'4 285 Dont know much about him but his highlight tape is good and has a good list of schools. Dont here much about him so not sure weather we are still recruiting him, including Cal, florida, USC, stanford, UCLA.
Evan Epstein - Football Recruiting

Bo Williams 6'1 203 pound running back who is transfering from florida.
Bo Williams - Football Recruiting

I would also like another DT. Either Joe marshall (favoring minnesota, we have offered, wondering if he is waiting on an offer or something else from minnesota) Ottis Jones, or Kendrick payne. Payne seems alittle small right now, and i would think it would be harder to luer jones from all the west coast schools. Hopefully minnesota hasnt offered or if they have he changes his mind and comes here. Im guessing from the headline. marshall wants to be golden he is waiting on an offer. Add James Brown as well. My order would be Marshall, Brown, Jones, and then payne
Joe Marshall - Football Recruiting
Otis Jones - Football Recruiting
Kendrick Payne - Football Recruiting
James Brown - Football Recruiting

If any of these players committ or somebody we havent heard about then
Any new player
Cedrick Mack
DJ Grant (probably going to texas or ou)
Dan Hoch ( probably going to mizzou, iowa, or nebraska. Ill hold out hope but wont hold breath. Would be a great get though.

Let me know what your thoughts are and how you would change it. Any new people or other you would rather have?

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
For those of you who follow recruiting closely, is this year's recruiting really that much better than we've had in the past?

The latest rankings I've seen had us ranked 60, I believe, and among the worst (if not the worst) in the Big 12. I know we're getting more speed, but speed doesn't make a good football player.

hornacek14

Apr 11, 2006
Your first mistake is looking at the rankings. It is better to just trust the coaching staffs decisions on who they are signing and who they are recruiting. Whether we are 60th in the rankings or 1st or 119th, it doesn't matter if when they get here they aren't coached well, they don't develop, etc etc etc.
Three years into a classes time at a school is a better time to look back and give an accurate opinion on the recruiting class. Recruiting classes are ranked by who is recruiting that particular player. If USC, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma are going after a player, then he must be a 5 star. YOu will always see the usual suspects ranked in the top 10-15.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I would also like another DT. Either Joe marshall (favoring minnesota, we have offered, wondering if he is waiting on an offer or something else from minnesota) Ottis Jones, or Kendrick payne. Payne seems alittle small right now, and i would think it would be harder to luer jones from all the west coast schools. Hopefully minnesota hasnt offered or if they have he changes his mind and comes here. Im guessing from the headline. marshall wants to be golden he is waiting on an offer. Add James Brown as well. My order would be Marshall, Brown, Jones, and then payne
Joe Marshall - Football Recruiting
Otis Jones - Football Recruiting
Kendrick Payne - Football Recruiting
James Brown - Football Recruiting

The chances of landing Marshall might have recently improved. Minnesota just got a commitment from a big 3 star run stopping DT from the Philly area. Even if Minny offers, Marshall would probably have a better opportunity at ISU.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
For those of you who follow recruiting closely, is this year's recruiting really that much better than we've had in the past?

The latest rankings I've seen had us ranked 60, I believe, and among the worst (if not the worst) in the Big 12. I know we're getting more speed, but speed doesn't make a good football player.

Stars also don't make a good football player. Say whatever you like about Mangino, but he built a BCS Bowl team out of two and three star prospects--just adding speed as he went along. A good staff can work with speed much easier than they can a slower "football player". It's like basketball--you can't coach height, either.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
The chances of landing Marshall might have recently improved. Minnesota just got a commitment from a big 3 star run stopping DT from the Philly area. Even if Minny offers, Marshall would probably have a better opportunity at ISU.

I hope your right, I think he's a sleeper and we could really use people at that position

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Okay, cool. Now that we're done with the inevitable "stars don't matter" spiel, can someone actually answer my question?

The rankings are there for a reason. They might be skewed a bit by where they go, but theyr'e there for a reason. If rankings meant NOTHING and we're just supposed to sit back and trust the coaches, then why does anyone follow recruiting? Why is anyone excited about Darius Darks or Joe Tiller?

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
how did Callahan's highly starred recruiting classes work out for him at NU? It's about finding the right players for the right system with the right attitudes and coachability. Does it really matter if a guy runs 0.01 seconds faster in a 40 than another guy? I have faith in the coaching staff looking for intangibles as well as physical traits in recruits.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
If anyone here understands my point, feel free to chime in. I'm striking out so far.

bandit

Apr 21, 2006
how did Callahan's highly starred recruiting classes work out for him at NU? It's about finding the right players for the right system with the right attitudes and coachability. Does it really matter if a guy runs 0.01 seconds faster in a 40 than another guy? I have faith in the coaching staff looking for intangibles as well as physical traits in recruits.

Ditto on what you said.
Remember: the former ISU QB that (for now) is a starter in the NFL was an all state DB coming out of high school. It's all about developing the players once they are here.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Okay, cool. Now that we're done with the inevitable "stars don't matter" spiel, can someone actually answer my question?
I don't follow recruiting that closely, but just from looking at past classes compared to this one they look to be fairly similar. If I remember right our classes tend to be ranked in about the 60s (highest was 40 something I think) and we usually battle Baylor for the bottom of the Big XII as far as those rankings go.

My hope is that Chizik will be able to do more with the players he has and can build on a successful season or two. That was mine and most people's problem with Mac - he had some success but failed to build on it.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Ditto on what you said.
Remember: the former ISU QB that (for now) is a starter in the NFL was an all state DB coming out of high school. It's all about developing the players once they are here.

So you're saying that it doesn't matter who we recruit? We have a good coach, so that means our players will all become good?

Seriously, I don't think what I'm trying to say is that confusing. Everyone complained all year long that we weren't winning because we had no talent, but that would change because Chizik would get better talent and coach them up.

Don't tell me about Nebraska's class. I don't care about them. I get it...Callahan sucks.

I'm asking if we're getting better talent. And I'm trying to ask the people who follow recruiting closely who actually have an idea instead of a bunch of BS responses.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
If anyone here understands my point, feel free to chime in. I'm striking out so far.

I understand what your talking about. By the rankings they are not all that different at the moment than in the past. the difference right now is that chizk is recruiting alot more speed and athletitism.. And some of 3* and 2* that we are getting were more actively pursued by bigger schools rather than smaller ones. Stars do mean something to a point. We are excited about guys like Darks because he is a 3* athlete with alot of potential. Were more excited about these guys than dans is they are better athletes. We beat out schools like michigan st., iowa, texas am, kansas, mizzou and teams like that rather than with dan (more often than not) it was against central michigan, northern illinois, wyoming and schools like that. If i didnt answer your question just say so and i will try and answer it better

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I don't follow recruiting that closely, but just from looking at past classes compared to this one they look to be fairly similar. If I remember right our classes tend to be ranked in about the 60s (highest was 40 something I think) and we usually battle Baylor for the bottom of the Big XII as far as those rankings go.

My hope is that Chizik will be able to do more with the players he has and can build on a successful season or two. That was mine and most people's problem with Mac - he had some success but failed to build on it.

Thank you for the intelligent response.

I feel the same way you do. I think the talent level seems to be similar, but we're bringing in some guys who have potential to really become a threat. I don't recall us bringing in this much speed in the past. Then again, we heard that Allen Bell was a burner, too.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I understand what your talking about. By the rankings they are not all that different at the moment than in the past. the difference right now is that chizk is recruiting alot more speed and athletitism.. And some of 3* and 2* that we are getting were more actively pursued by bigger schools rather than smaller ones. Stars do mean something to a point. We are excited about guys like Darks because he is a 3* athlete with alot of potential. Were more excited about these guys than dans is they are better athletes. We beat out schools like michigan st., iowa, texas am, kansas, mizzou and teams like that rather than with dan (more often than not) it was against central michigan, northern illinois, wyoming and schools like that. If i didnt answer your question just say so and i will try and answer it better

Good response, thanks. I'm with you on that. I don't follow it closely, but it does sound like we're bringing in more speed and athleticism. I think that will allow us to use players in specialty roles like we did with Bates this year, and we'll be able to better mold them into the player that we want and need. I was hoping that someone who follows recruiting could confirm what I had been feeling. Thanks again.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
read post #14 for most of your answers. But yes we are recruiting the same stars as before but we are recruiting better athletes and better speed and more sough after athletes

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Good response, thanks. I'm with you on that. I don't follow it closely, but it does sound like we're bringing in more speed and athleticism. I think that will allow us to use players in specialty roles like we did with Bates this year, and we'll be able to better mold them into the player that we want and need. I was hoping that someone who follows recruiting could confirm what I had been feeling. Thanks again.

no problem, i understand how you feel when you ask a question and everybody answers every other question but the one you wanted and gets side tracked. I follow recruiting for both football and basketball alot. Lets hope we get alot more of these types of players

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
would you rather have a 2* or 3* from FL/TX or a kid of the same ranks playing in Iowa 4A or 3A ball? DISCLAIMER: I'm not ripping on Iowa athletes, some outstanding players have come from this state... but you think of who those players are going up against every friday night in FL and TX (going against a lot of other D-I talent) vs the types of players a kid will face in the CIML or MVC (kids who will most likely hang up the pads after HS or play D-III)... whoa boy I know I'm setting myself up for a lot of flak on this one...

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
would you rather have a 2* or 3* from FL/TX or a kid of the same ranks playing in Iowa 4A or 3A ball? DISCLAIMER: I'm not ripping on Iowa athletes, some outstanding players have come from this state... but you think of who those players are going up against every friday night in FL and TX (going against a lot of other D-I talent) vs the types of players a kid will face in the CIML or MVC (kids who will most likely hang up the pads after HS or player D-III)... whoa boy I know I'm setting myself up for a lot of flak on this one...

I got your back cause you are dead on with this.