Announcement coming: "Cyclones.TV is the real deal"

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Why on earth should they give the game away to ESPN Full Court when they can make money by holding it back to Cyclones.tv? If Mediacom or FSN is willing to pony up moolah to get it, take the highest bidder and run, especially if it's Mediacom and they'll allow you to keep the web capabilities of Cyclones.tv.
The web piece is not going away, so we can start with that. And I'd keep my subscription to that no matter what.

If it's an FSN deal you can forget about Full Court since it'd already be on a national carrier.

A dedicated channel on a regional carrier like Mediacom adds nothing, IMO. If live games were also available on Full Court it would open the games up to a wider audience and I'm sure ISU would benefit financially from it somehow since Full Court is a subscription service.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't care what they do, but they NEED to do whatever they can to get these games on in every sports bar and available to the majority of people flipping through the channels in Iowa. Mediacom would accomplish both of those so I am fine with that, but some sort of combo with FSN or even someone like ROOT sports would be great. It's sad that I have seen more West Virginia games on TV than Iowa State games.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Cyclones.tv works well for me. I have the ISU app on my iPad and use it to play live events on my TV(s) via my AppleTV. ISU's digital Network is not going away and I hope it doesn't. With the exception of a few games on M22, which not everyone in IA gets; games shown not on Cyclones.tv would *not* be seen at all. There may be a few games that don't make it onto M22, so that more fans have access via Cyclones.tv.

Out-of-state Cyclones and in-state Cyclones with DirecTV, Dish, Mediacom, etc. can now access ISU content and live events via Cyclones.tv. What some are advocating is that *only* those that can turn on M22 should have access to a couple of games a year, in *$(#y quality. While the Out-of-state fans and in-state fans with Directv, Dish, etc. go without these few games...let alone all the other games and content on Cyclones.tv.

The days of ISU (or any other major school's) games being shown on the local ABC, NBC, CBS affiliates are gone and have been gone for years now. As a result, the best case scenario is that we have a combination of Cyclones.tv and a new FSIA (aka FoxSportsIowa) to deliver content digitally and via carrier's "local" FSN channel or SportsPack.

All the other B12 schools have a Digital Network and they are here to stay. All the other schools, not named UT or ISU have signed a deal with FSN for their 3rd Tier rights. I am hoping that we are next and that a FSIA is born. This would be on instead of FSMW (or FSNorth in the small portion of upper Ia) in IA. However, much of the content would come from FSMW, FSKC, FSNorth; as well as ISU content like games, coach's shows, previews, etc. to give is an IA theme.

K-State was the last to sign a deal like this and I encourage you to look it up. *Tons* of K-State content will be delivered via FSN and their digital network, through a deal with Fox Sports Network and Learfield Sports. FYI...we also work with Learfield Sports. This would cover the current (TV) and future (Internet) delivery of sports content.

Fans are stilling going to have to find the games, even in this scenario. Much like our weekly *threads* (emphasis on plural) of "what channel is the game on"? No wonder people struggle with Cyclones.tv, when they can't even find it on their own TV/Carrier...

Here's hoping we strike a deal with Fox Sports or, at the *very* least that Cyclones.tv gets an update (i.e. new provider to replace NueLion, replace Flash so more runs on Apple products, etc.).

Last edited:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I'm kinda torn on the Cyclones.tv thing. I have not subscribed mainly because I've either went to games or just don't have the time to actively watch games with family stuff happening.

I think for us *cough* younger crowd, we may be comfortable with computers/hooking up to a tv, but even as a younger person sometimes i just want to flip the tv on and have it on in the background. It is almost a foregone conclusion you are going to have to pay someone to see games (cable or subscription to a service) and I just want to maximize opportunities to watch. Yes, most of the "bigger" games will be on the cable package I have or regional tv....like last nights game, had it been on cable I probably would have had it on in the background...this Friday's game vs Iowa I'll more actively watch.

I guess I just trust Jamie is doing what's best for ISU...and some of that may mean keeping up with what the new trends are. I think Cyclones.tv is a GREAT asset and launching pad for things.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
anything outside of a Fox Sports deal is not a huge announcement. Maybe i am the minority, but the group of ISU fans that i hang out with have not subscribed to cyclones.tv and not happy with ISU making the games unavailable via TV.

The past few years preconference games were only on Mediacom so a lot of fans couldnt see the games. CycloneTV is a huge upgrade from that.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I'm kinda torn on the Cyclones.tv thing. I have not subscribed mainly because I've either went to games or just don't have the time to actively watch games with family stuff happening.

I think for us *cough* younger crowd, we may be comfortable with computers/hooking up to a tv, but even as a younger person sometimes i just want to flip the tv on and have it on in the background. It is almost a foregone conclusion you are going to have to pay someone to see games (cable or subscription to a service) and I just want to maximize opportunities to watch. Yes, most of the "bigger" games will be on the cable package I have or regional tv....like last nights game, had it been on cable I probably would have had it on in the background...this Friday's game vs Iowa I'll more actively watch.

I guess I just trust Jamie is doing what's best for ISU...and some of that may mean keeping up with what the new trends are. I think Cyclones.tv is a GREAT asset and launching pad for things.

Who needs all that whey you can buy TVs with wireless internet in them and flip them on and have the game in the backround.

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
I would also argue that this increases the viewership of non-revenue sports. My dad now has watched a few volleyball and women's basketball games due to Cyclones.TV.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Any way you look at it, having a dedicated Iowa State channel will be a big thing for ISU. The people in the athletic dept. have worked their butts off to continue to evolve the media services. Just think about where things were at just a few years ago.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I would also argue that this increases the viewership of non-revenue sports. My dad now has watched a few volleyball and women's basketball games due to Cyclones.TV.

^^^^^this. Me too. Watched the vb tournament last year, catch some things when I know there's a big matchup. Woulda watched VB vs. texas a couple of weekends ago if it wasn't overlapping the UNLV game.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!

True. Not to mention, 1000 BYU fans just paid ISU $10K ($10x1000 monthly subscriptions) to watch their game on Cyclones.tv. I know from reading other fan boards, that this has happened on a smaller scale. For example, I read on their fan site that some WIU fans ordered Cyclones.tv to watch their FB game against ISU, an option not usually available for their road games.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
^^^^^this. Me too. Watched the vb tournament last year, catch some things when I know there's a big matchup. Woulda watched VB vs. texas a couple of weekends ago if it wasn't overlapping the UNLV game.

And how'd you watch the UNLV game...the internet. I didn't watch it, did you have to pay?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

I think for us *cough* younger crowd, we may be comfortable with computers/hooking up to a tv, but even as a younger person sometimes i just want to flip the tv on and have it on in the background.

Easy to do with an Apple TV or other type of player. I pull up Cyclones.tv on my laptop or ipad and use my Apple TV to put it on the TV in the fore or background!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The past few years preconference games were only on Mediacom so a lot of fans couldnt see the games. CycloneTV is a huge upgrade from that.

And now a larger number don't see them because it isnt on their basic cable.

I think for now a mediacom cyclones.tv channel + online for those out of state\on satellite would be a great deal. Better than what we had before and better than what we have now.

Last edited:

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Does a "smart" tv have access to the internet in general? Or do they only run apps that are allowed by the manufacturer?

I have a Google TV that comes with a web browser. I can access any website, but sites like Hulu and the OTO networks' sites won't let me stream video. I get a message that says something like "You cannot stream on this device." However, sites like HBO go and ESPN3 work.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
And how'd you watch the UNLV game...the internet. I didn't watch it, did you have to pay?

Umm, yes. I do have a subscription. I started it in the days of mediacom basketball games and no local radio station that I could receive at night. It was a cheap insurance policy that I would be able to at least hear every game.

Just seeing your gridiron club avatar made me think of something...the AD should give cyclones.tv subscriptions to as many people that support the department that they can (I realize they may not be allowed to for the clubs like gridiron and wrestling since those aren't official university groups).

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

I think for now a mediacom cyclones.tv channel + online for those out of state\on satellite would be a great deal. Better than what we had before and better than what we have now.

90% of the households have internet so anyone canbuy and view the games.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Easy to do with an Apple TV or other type of player. I pull up Cyclones.tv on my laptop or ipad and use my Apple TV to put it on the TV in the fore or background!

Did this last night with the my iPad and ATV. Works great.

With that said, I would still love for ISU to strike an FSN deal, This would be the best for the AD.

Maybe it was in here or just a rumor somewhere else, but there was speculation that fox was attempting to acquire all 3rd tier rights from the B12 schools so they could put a B12 network together, obviously without Texas. Once again completely rumor but if ISU gets an FSN deal, I would believe it a little bit more.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

My local provider (not mediacom)...to get the B1G network is $55 a month. Cyclones.tv is $80 A YEAR.

I'd guess a lot of people get that in cash from family members for christmas. Buy yourself a cyclones christmas that lasts all year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron