"Hidden gem" restaurants

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I know there have been threads on here before about great Iowa eats - but here's my question for you guys. I'm looking for some great places to eat in north central IA. I'm from DSM but my girlfriend is from up there, and I don't know the area that well.

On another note, if you have any other "must go to" places anywhere in Iowa, please throw them out there! I'm on the road a lot around the state and am always looking for that new great place to stop. I found an awesome little diner on the square in Mt. Ayr a couple of years ago and had maybe the best grinder ever there - can't remember the name, though!

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Sure. I used to live in Mason City and in-laws are in Clear Lake, so we're up there a lot.

Best place to eat in Mason City (best steak...ANYWHERE IMO) is Northwestern Steakhouse. I don't even open the menu when I go. Filet, side greek spagetti, and greek salad. A member of the same family owns Cafe Nortwest in Ames, but the Steakhouse is the original and better IMO.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Suburban Cafe in Gilbert

Pammel Grocery in Ames

Downtown Deli in Ames

Taco House is way over rated imho.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I found a hidden gem inside a whopper once. Actually it was just a shiny pen cap. Does that count?

Country House on HWY 30 by Colo has a good tenderloin.

Last edited:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Pasquale's Pizza in Humboldt. Best thin crust pizza I've ever had

D

DistrictCyclone

Taco House - Boji

epic

Mrs. Lady's > Taco House. That's a little rivalry from the lakes area...and for us.

La Juanita's in Storm Lake and Sioux City has some great Mexican food. Sioux City also has a surprising number of good Vietnamese places.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Always a great meal at Rusty Duck in Dexter.

my dad and I tried to stop here after a couple of isu games this year and they weren't open yet...I think it was all the 11 games... Didn't serve food till 5 o'clock.. Which we thought was weird.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Mrs. Lady's > Taco House. That's a little rivalry from the lakes area...and for us.

La Juanita's in Storm Lake and Sioux City has some great Mexican food. Sioux City also has a surprising number of good Vietnamese places.

Agree with that.

D

DistrictCyclone

I don't get the food in boji.. So many Mexican restaurants. I always make it a point to eat at maxwells. Also I really miss woodies pizza. I don't get how they couldn't make it work.

There's still a Woody's in Estherville, I believe. There's some pretty good places in the lakes area if you're willing to venture beyond north of the bridge between east and west lake.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I don't get the food in boji.. So many Mexican restaurants. I always make it a point to eat at maxwells. Also I really miss woodies pizza. I don't get how they couldn't make it work.

Maxwells is good, Woodies was good but I also like eating pizza at the Ritz. I used to go to the resturaunt that burned down last summer quite often(Can't think of the name but it was close to 316 steakhouse)?