Buying a new grill

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Wanting to get a new gas grill and figure there are probably some Father's Day sales this weekend. Looking to get a Weber as I've had success with them before. Any suggestions on types and stores to shop? Also, anyone know the best way to get rid of an old grill?

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
Just dig a hole and put a grate over it. Only get a Weber grill if you hate money.

:jimlad:

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
Wanting to get a new gas grill and figure there are probably some Father's Day sales this weekend. Looking to get a Weber as I've had success with them before. Any suggestions on types and stores to shop? Also, anyone know the best way to get rid of an old grill?

Set it out on your curb and post it on the free section of Craigslist. It will be gone within an hour.

Good call on the Weber. I got rid of my old Weber and bought a cheap Kenmore and have regretted it ever since.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Weber Genesis. Read the reviews on Home Depot.com. All 5-stars (190+) reviews.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Ge...-Grill-in-Copper-6532001/202548142?N=c5t5Z1ls

Also, Consumer Reports listed the top three gas grills as Weber Genesis, Brinkman, then a Charbroil. If you read through the reveiws of each on Home Depot's site you'll see the Weber is a clear winner.

As a side note, several of the Weber-Stephens family members are ISU alumni!

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
A couple of years ago I thought it would be cool to go back to a Weber charcoal kettle grill. It cooks great but I have to admit that the next time I buy a grill I will be getting a weber gas grill.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Yep, might as well wrap this thread up here. Buy a Weber and don't look back.

Put the old one out on the curb and list it on Craigslist as free to the first person to come pick it up. I did this on some busted up old patio furniture a few weeks ago and it was gone in 30 minutes.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I'm in the market as well - my thoughts based on my previous grill. I last bought a 4 -burner char-broil commercial series from Lowes about 4 years ago for $350.

While the outside was mostly stainless, the inside and some of the body wasn't. I've already had to replace most of the interior components (flavor bars - typical, burners, etc). Now the pegs holding the flavor bars (and other parts of the body) are rusting out and there is really no way to repair it other than some type of "jimmie rig." And, it needs new burners again - the originals were supposed to be brass and last for life!

Anyway, I've decided to bite the bullet and just get the really flippin' expensive weber with stainless steel components, both inside and out - hopefully I can make that one last 10 - 15 years with only having to replace the flavor bars and maybe the burners over that time instead of other stuff

we'll see.

mullet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2010

My guess is Heffle will take your old grill.

Reactions: mj4cy

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Go cheap and you'll be replacing parts and the grill sooner than you want. After having 2 cheaper grills (and I didn't have room for a good Weber anyway) - I bought a Weber Genesis stainless grill from TrueValue in Grimes. Mine is the S-310 and I got it in '07.

Zero issues with it and we use it 4+ times a week during spring/summer/fall and 1-2 times a week during winter. Have not replaced a single part.

We also have a gas line run to the grill - no refilling propane tanks. :)

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
For 30+ years I used gas. Then 3 years ago I made the switch to charcoal. I never will go back to gas. The flavor is that much better grilling over lump charcoal........

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
For 30+ years I used gas. Then 3 years ago I made the switch to charcoal. I never will go back to gas. The flavor is that much better grilling over lump charcoal........
I miss the charcoal. Been so long I've probably forgot how.

Eventually, current home or future, I'll have a grilling station with a gas grill, charcoal grill and a smoker. Built into a grilling station on a lower level covered patio - with sink and fridge.

And I'll never leave that spot.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
So, I'm not in the market, but was curious -- how much does it cost to get a natural gas line put in? That would be soooo convenient once we have a house.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Weber Genesis is expensive but a solid grill. I don't think the price varies a whole lot. And if you order through Home Depot (or others) they'll ship it for free. It's a big heavy box!

My parents like their Holland and have it for 15 years or so. Only have had to replace the knobs because the dog thought they were tasty :jimlad:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Go cheap and you'll be replacing parts and the grill sooner than you want. After having 2 cheaper grills (and I didn't have room for a good Weber anyway) - I bought a Weber Genesis stainless grill from TrueValue in Grimes. Mine is the S-310 and I got it in '07.

Zero issues with it and we use it 4+ times a week during spring/summer/fall and 1-2 times a week during winter. Have not replaced a single part.

We also have a gas line run to the grill - no refilling propane tanks. :)

It looks like there are diff. Genesis models. The more expensive seem to have the stove option. Is there an advantage to having the stove portion when I could just use my kitchen?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
So, I'm not in the market, but was curious -- how much does it cost to get a natural gas line put in? That would be soooo convenient once we have a house.

That will depend quite a bit on how the gas lines are run in the house and what it will take to run a line from where you need it to an existing line. In my house, the gas lines are run in the attic above the ceiling joists, so it is pretty easy to put in new lines.

In my subdivision (about 30 years old), all the houses were built with a natural gas feed in the patio area. In the subdivisions built during the '90s, that feature was often left out, and now in the newer houses, builders are doing it again. We really like the natural gas grill.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I will only buy Weber. Mine is the charcoal version, with the table, but after I had it for about 10 years, I went to grill during the winter and pulled up on the table, it broke. I called Weber to buy a replacement, they told me it shouldn't have done that and sent me out a new table top free of charge. It's a product definitely worth the money. A Weber is like a family heirloom, it will last that long.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
agree with the weber gensis. It is amazes. a weber can last you 20 years and you can sell it afterwards

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I bought a WEBER 3 burner grill in 1992. I have replaced flavorizor bars, grates, ignitors, and also made a new wood handle and platform. There is no side burner. It is my workhorse. When I have time the Weber charcoal works great.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Anyway, I've decided to bite the bullet and just get the really flippin' expensive weber with stainless steel components, both inside and out - hopefully I can make that one last 10 - 15 years with only having to replace the flavor bars and maybe the burners over that time instead of other stuff

we'll see.

Dont brine or get really tasty sauces on the grates, the stainless wears out also. I tried stainless about 15 years ago. Now, I just use the porcelain grates. They are cheaper even replacing them more often. I guess I should clean my grates better, but why when I have 500 to 600 degree heat at my fingertips?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Got my Weber Genesis on Amazon. Beat local prices and free shipping. Don't cheap out and get a Weber Spirit. Metal and welds are much lower quality.