Iowa fans at ISU

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
It's so ridiculously obvious the growing numbers of ISU fans in this state. I bet I see 5 times the amount ISU attire out and about in DSM than I did just 4-5 years ago. I can also vouch for CR having a heavy increase since I am over there frequently. It is a movement and it has ALOT of momentum.

So, let me get this straight. ISU is pulling in the casual fan (tavern clone?), and these fans are only coming out and about because the team is getting better?

And here I thought ISU was above and beyond the bandwagoner.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Are there quite a few Hawk fan students at ISU? 2 neighbor kids (engineering) just transferred to Iowa from ISU. Parents told me that they were shunned by other ISU students because they were Hawk fans and never felt part of campus. I told my son that he is free to shun all hawk fans at ISU.
I know a few engineers that transferred from ISU to Iowa. It wasn't because they where shunned, but they were a certain adjective that started with S. Needless to say they would not have received an engineering degree from ISU.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm more than fine with there being an increased number of ISU fans in the state. That doesn't mean there are more. In fact, there are still a lot more Iowa fans in state. If you're going to argue that, then go for it. You'd be wrong.

Also, I always get a kick out of the "balance of power" argument. I could type up a long response as to why that argument sucks, but I'll spare you.

Aka type up a list of how Iowa used to be good and how ISU hasn't won a conference title, etc? We all know Hawk fans love to cling onto the past

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
I do sense that there is a growing interest in Iowa State amongst the high school crowd. Not sure if that is due to athletics or a much better marketing plan than Iowa. ISU had another increase in instate and OOS applicants this year according to Leath. I have heard that Iowa has had a reduction in instate and OOS applications this year. Unless the yield increases or they get another massive influx of internationals, Iowa could see a smaller frosh class this year.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
You would have to be a pretty big *** to not feel welcome at ISU. Trust me on this one.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Biomedical engineering is probably the only engineering discipline it would be smart to consider at Iowa.

ISUs Chemical engineering program has converted many aspects to these fields. Based on relative rankings and endowments you would not consider Iowa over ISU in this field either.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I've noticed a huge increase in central Iowa in the past 4-5 years. There is still a good mix, but ISU is much louder and prouder than in the past. Iowa fans are increasingly bitter here and that is a great sign.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Equally dumb arguments. Iowa will be good again, and isu will win a conference title. Hopefully it doesn't take another 100 years for either to happen.

Aka type up a list of how Iowa used to be good and how ISU hasn't won a conference title, etc? We all know Hawk fans love to cling onto the past

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Because you don't have to be a **** about it, and sports aren't the most important thing in the world. I went to ISU as an Iowa fan, because, well, I liked ISU better. I cheered on the Hawks because I was an Iowa fan since I was 5, and I never felt the need to change my allegiance. I still cheer for ISU, (actually pretty rabidly when I'm at the games), but I also cheer for the Hawks.

I'm guessing you either don't get out much, or are exaggerating. Maybe in Des Moines, but I doubt it in CR. I live in the Twin Cities, and I've seen a handful wearing ISU gear. I've seen probably 5 times as many wearing Iowa stuff. If it's like that hear, I'm betting it's probably pretty similar up the road from IC.

Sounds like he was a crappy professor to me.

I also live in the Twin Cities and from my experience it's pretty even.

Also, when driving from central Iowa to Twin Cities I always see more ISU plates.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Equally dumb arguments. Iowa will be good again, and isu will win a conference title. Hopefully it doesn't take another 100 years for either to happen.

Fair enough, just never understood Iowa fans and talking about how they are better than ISU now because of what they have done in the past. At least you're optimistic and talk about the future saying they will be good again, most Hawk fans I know are still talking about Ricky Stanzi's 3 bowl wins.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
So you'd choose your school, or have your kids choose their school, based not on who has the most respected program in your/their chosen field and would better position you/them for success after graduation... but instead on who you'd rather cheer for on gamedays?

Interesting.

Of course not, that's kooky talk. But if your chosen school is good enough to educate you isn't it good enough to cheer for?

So, let me get this straight. ISU is pulling in the casual fan (tavern clone?), and these fans are only coming out and about because the team is getting better?

And here I thought ISU was above and beyond the bandwagoner.

1. You're right about UI in Iowa. They have and will always have more fans than ISU.

2. This stuff about ISU not wanting non grad fans is wrong and I'd challenge you to find a post that says that. Hawk fans seem to always equate Cyclones fans hate for non grad UI fans with not liking (or wanting) non grad ISU fans. They're totally different things.

***UI grads = typically okay fans. non UI grads = biggest ******bags on planet Earth***

That's all we're sayin'.

Reactions: DBQ

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I think its telling that CyFan has 100 members to every 1 member on HawkNation.

Does this mean that there are more Cyclone fans in the state?
Does this mean that the government isnt doing a good job providing internet to the poor?
Does Kirkwood not offer a typing class?

The world may never know.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Not to derail thread but living in Cedar Rapids I swear I see as much (or more) Cyclone gear and license plates then Hawkeye in the past 5 months. I guess its too hot for the polyester windbreakers to come out yet. Interest in Iowa football is at an all time low in the CR area.

In other words it, aka interest, ranks right up there with 1973 when the hawks went 0-11 for the season. Sounds good to me.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Take a drive thru the trailer parks, you'll see the Iowa plates.

Actually, I really don't see all that many U of I vanity plates. Tons of decals & bumper stickers, but not a lot of plates.

I honestly think a big reason is that many think you have to be a graduate to get those plates. (I'm not just taking a jab at their fans here, I've heard this belief first-hand often)