Freshman Advice Thread

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Another simple idea, especially if you are slightly unorganized or forget things:
Get yourself a weekly planner. Then, once you get all of your syllabus' go find all the due dates and test dates and mark them down in your planner. Then at the start of every week take a glance at the upcoming week and the next week ahead just to see if you have anything due or any tests coming up.
It's not a good feeling finding out you have a test or paper/project due in 2 days that you had completely forgot about.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
Another simple idea, especially if you are slightly unorganized or forget things:
Get yourself a weekly planner. Then, once you get all of your syllabus' go find all the due dates and test dates and mark them down in your planner. Then at the start of every week take a glance at the upcoming week and the next week ahead just to see if you have anything due or any tests coming up.
It's not a good feeling finding out you have a test or paper/project due in 2 days that you had completely forgot about.

A planner? How about using your phone or laptop?

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
The health center gives out free condoms on wednesdays and thursdays on campus and all the time in the health center. Never hurts to have some just in case.
Also just enjoy yourself and enjoy the next 4-5 years of your life.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
A planner? How about using your phone or laptop?
Sorry, I'm just thinking back to my days in college. This was before smartphones.
But, if it came down to it today, I'd still use a planner because I hate plugging a lot of things into my calender on my iphone. Having stuff written down on paper never fails me.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Sorry, I'm just thinking back to my days in college. This was before smartphones.
But, if it came down to it today, I'd still use a planner because I hate plugging a lot of things into my calender on my iphone. Having stuff written down on paper never fails me.

gmail calendar works pretty well for this, but I'm old school too. I like using a paper planner.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Good luck on move-in tomorrow gn! Hope your mom isn't embarrassingly weepy like I was their freshman year.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Good luck on move-in tomorrow gn! Hope your mom isn't embarrassingly weepy like I was their freshman year.

Hahaaaa! I had the luxury of one older brother...when he got dropped off, it was a river of tears...with me...GTFO, dad and me are finally free!

(perhaps that says something about their preference between us...hmm....)

*edit...nope, I got it...they were crying because they dropped him off at UNI, knowing they'd be stuck nursing him for years to come...me at ISU...he good to go!

:wink:

Last edited:

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
Wander the women's dorm hallways during daylight hours. Pick a pair in a room, start a chat and make them feel safe with you. Tell them you want to be with both of them.

Respect them both and don't be a jerk. Be a gentleman and be there for both of them, emotionally, physically, and intellectually. Treat them like awesome friends with naked parts you like to please.

Study your *** off and get decent grades and please your female suitors. Get a job and make money and go from there.

Win.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Wander the women's dorm hallways during daylight hours. Pick a pair in a room, start a chat and make them feel safe with you. Tell them you want to be with both of them.

Respect them both and don't be a jerk. Be a gentleman and be there for both of them, emotionally, physically, and intellectually. Treat them like awesome friends with naked parts you like to please.

Study your *** off and get decent grades and please your female suitors. Get a job and make money and go from there.

Win.
Is the first two paragraphs an attempt at a threesome?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Win.

You sound like the sort of guy that girls tell stories about. Not in the good way.

"Here's my advice, son. Wander around a women's dorm until you find a room with an open door and two girls inside. Walk in and say hi. Before you leave, convince them to have a threesome with you."

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I wanna thank those who suggested to leave my dorm room open. I did this and it worked out great. My roommate is a dud but thankfully I've made really good friends with my floor-mates.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009

Win.

I can tell you didn't get laid in college.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I wanna thank those who suggested to leave my dorm room open. I did this and it worked out great. My roommate is a dud but thankfully I've made really good friends with my floor-mates.

Give the roomie some time. One of the guys I met in class was a dud, or so I thought. I figured I wouldn't have much to do with him at all. Fast forward and we ended up rooming together 3 years and being in each others wedding.