*****LEATH VEISHEA PRESSER LIVE STREAM*****

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I didn't say this one was. But a riot on Tuesday could very well mean that things are going to ramp up from there the rest of the week. What if something happened at the concert? Or what if the campus police had to respond to something to help out the APD, and they injured/killed someone? This is a powder keg of potential liability for the university. Whether or not it's the right choice, they would look insanely irresponsible if they didn't do anything and something happened.

Leath can't do anything to stop the house parties and parties on Welch. But he can do something to stop the reason why all of the house parties are happening on the same night. And so he's erring on the side of caution after someone nearly lost his life.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Cancelling the real VEISHEA will not stop the house parties. Quite frankly, I'm concerned that now that there are no activities for distraction, the house parties will be worse. People are not going to go back home just because the sanctioned events are cancelled; more likely this will just send many of the people who would have been at those events over to the house parties.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Well...yeah, and that's exactly what I did in my own personal situation back in '96 up in Cedar Falls that I wrote about it in my original post in this thread.

My point is that I don't think it's fair to point the finger o' judgement at those in the crowd who weren't causing any property destruction but also not intervening and scream out "WHY DIDN'T YOU DO ANYTHING?!!?" for the reasons I've mentioned.

I do. If you stand by and do nothing, or worse, promote it through social media, you are a part of the problem.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Cancelling the real VEISHEA will not stop the house parties. Quite frankly, I'm concerned that now that there are no activities for distraction, the house parties will be worse. People are not going to go back home just because the sanctioned events are cancelled; more likely this will just send many of the people who would have been at those events over to the house parties.
I guarantee it works. There will be fewer people out and fewer this weekend. There still will be a lot but there won't be anymore riots. From the way that press conference sounded, Veishea will be done for good. They seem to want to announce that after this week is over.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I agree with you, there will still be house parties - there are every weekend. But what I'm saying is that there won't be an official event to which they are tied and around which they are timed. (Assuming there's a change in VEISHEA going forward, of course.)

Question......will there be riots tonight because of this?

I think that's been addressed several times, but Leath said in the presser that, if there were, that would make the decision on if VEISHEA will exist going forward pretty darn easy.

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
So by the logic Leath used, the spring football game needs to be canceled too because it is VEISHEA weekend and associated with it? But I bet no one has the stones to do that??? Instead we punish the Alumni that come back, the students that have worked hard lining things up, and the clubs that have already spend $ on food and supplies for VEISHEA. I don't see Leath saying hey send me a bill for the $ you lost because I canceled the event due to off campus issues..........Answer this happens another night what are they going to threaten cancel? Nothing because they don't have the leverage to take anything that doesn't exist away.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I agree with you, there will still be house parties - there are every weekend. But what I'm saying is that there won't be an official event to which they are tied and around which they are timed. (Assuming there's a change in VEISHEA going forward, of course.)

You're fighting a losing battle Angie. I'm amazed how stubbornly people are denying that there is any connection between the two just because the university isn't officially endorsing these house parties. There are legitimate reasons to disagree with the decision, but that notion is just silly.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Count me in the group that doesn't see the value in canceling the good parts of VEISHEA. Cancel the concert if you want-- I see how that would be warranted given last night. However, to think that it poses any less of a safety risk to cancel a parade is mind-blowing. To consider that the best way to keep down a group of drunk kids is to do an act that makes them more upset and feel more oppressed is ridiculous.

Honestly, does anyone think students are going to call their friends from out of town and say "hey listen, VEISHEA's canceled now so don't bother coming down?" You really think the house party that's been planned for weeks is going to be shut down because the parade got canceled? As for there not being congretating events, I get that with the concert. But to suggest that a parade is the genesis of a 2:00 AM riot makes no sense.

Last edited:

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I expect him to say "this is not what VEISHEA is about. We are co-operating with local authorities in locating any students that were a part of the incident that occurred in town last night, and any students who were found to have participated in this criminal activity will face University conduct charges, and possible expulsion". He actually did say most of this. However, I would then expect him to say that the "VEISHEA-sponsored events will continue - the parade, the club and department events, the SOV performances, the contests and events held on campus...because THAT's what VEISHEA is all about".

That sounds really good, but Leath is not the only one in the room that gets to make that decision. The reality is that VEISHEA is not just the events you mentioned. It's all of it. By removing the university from it, the idea is to remove the momentum. It will also direct anger at those who acted out due to the repercussions. It also acknowledges that although ISU is not directly involved with the partying, those students are the face of ISU in the community. Will there be blow back for the administration? Absolutely, but I can't see any way to separate ISU and VEISHEA from this whole situation.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
So by the logic Leath used, the spring football game needs to be canceled too because it is VEISHEA weekend and associated with it? But I bet no one has the stones to do that??? Instead we punish the Alumni that come back, the students that have worked hard lining things up, and the clubs that have already spend $ on food and supplies for VEISHEA. I don't see Leath saying hey send me a bill for the $ you lost because I canceled the event due to off campus issues..........Answer this happens another night what are they going to threaten cancel? Nothing because they don't have the leverage to take anything that doesn't exist away.
The spring game has absolutely nothing to do with Veishea. Nothing. It's amazing what length people will go to to blame Leath on everything. If someone kicks your dog or your roof leaks the next time it rains it will be Leath's fault.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Maybe? Judging from student response to wristbands though, it would probably just drive them away to house parties. And I don't think house parties are this big evil problem, provided that you don't concentrate a bunch of giant mega-parties on the same weekend every year.

And this would have to be a private endeavor by the campustown bars wouldn't it? I can't imagine VEISHEA committee or the university would be able to officially endorse or operate a beer garden. I suppose the prevention of property damage might be enough incentive for the bars to take it upon themselves, but who knows.

Right, I guess my theory on the matter was at least in part to divide and conquer as opposed to converge and manage, which has seemed to cause issues of late. I think regulating house parties would be an entirely different animal but as long as the management/break up of those is sent clear of the welch area, it would be ok.

I think the entire endeavor would have to be collaborative between the business of the Welch 100 block, University and City of Ames. But since Veishea as whole is a mutually benficial venture for all parties involved I would think they would be willing to create a working relationship. If the bars/businesses of that areas were to accept this potential increased revenue stream (and the responsibility that would come along with it) you could really turn the area into a cool festival environment with fewer problems and fewer staffed police, which may also free them up for the house parties.

Just some thoughts. Also, vote pablodiablo in 2014 :smile:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
So by the logic Leath used, the spring football game needs to be canceled too because it is VEISHEA weekend and associated with it?
I don't know about anyone else but I don't associate anything related to athletics with VEISHEA. Up until a few years ago the spring game had nothing to do with VEISHEA.
I don't see Leath saying hey send me a bill for the $ you lost because I canceled the event due to off campus issues
Um, Leath did say that but ya know...don't let facts get in the way of your rant. Campus organizations aren't going to have to worry about losing money. They may not do the killing they expected but they aren't going to lose their butts like they did a few years ago when the weather was miserable.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

When the hell does this happen other than VEISHEA?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You're fighting a losing battle Angie. I'm amazed how stubbornly people are denying that there is any connection between the two just because the university isn't officially endorsing these house parties. There are legitimate reasons to disagree with the decision, but that notion is just silly.

I agree, there is definitely plenty potentially wrong with the decision, but the riots are due to VEISHEA. It's the VEISHEA thing, it's been that way for a long time. Yes, it's been ten years since the last one (two years of which we didn't have a celebration), but when there are five or six of them in 20 years, that's a pattern. When kids fall off balconies and fall in Lake Laverne, that's a problem.

I'm fine with parties, frigging go for it, man. But do it responsibly and without breaking other people's property or heads. But that's the VEISHEA tradition now, which is the problem.

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
The spring game has absolutely nothing to do with Veishea. Nothing. It's amazing what length people will go to to blame Leath on everything. If someone kicks your dog or your roof leaks the next time it rains it will be Leath's fault.

But it is VEISHEA weekend and therefore connected as an additionally sanctioned ISU Event. The Youths gathering on Stanton and Welch last night had nothing to do with ISU either. They were not on ISU property or acting incapacity or as representatives as ISU.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I agree, there is definitely plenty potentially wrong with the decision, but the riots are due to VEISHEA. It's the VEISHEA thing, it's been that way for a long time. Yes, it's been ten years since the last one (two years of which we didn't have a celebration), but when there are five or six of them in 20 years, that's a pattern. When kids fall off balconies and fall in Lake Laverne, that's a problem.

I'm fine with parties, frigging go for it, man. But do it responsibly and without breaking other people's property or heads. But that's the VEISHEA tradition now, which is the problem.
Two thumbs up. Exactly the reason why the event has to go. If it doesn't, they will continue to have these problems every few years which is too often.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
But it is VEISHEA weekend and therefore connected as an additionally sanctioned ISU Event. The Youths gathering on Stanton and Welch last night had nothing to do with ISU either. They were not on ISU property or acting incapacity or as representatives as ISU.

This has been discussed ad nauseum.

The spring game happens to coincide with VEISHEA this year. But it is not part of the celebration for VEISHEA, it's a spring practice for the football team - it's not a showcase of any of the colleges.

I think it's unlikely that last night had nothing to do with VEISHEA when the students were chanting "VEISHEA, VEISHEA." There were ragers going on last night at the same time because it's VEISHEA week.