Camp Notes

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Re: Less than 48 hours to Camp

Good list.

I would add one. "Whatever happened to the bubble screen?" I'd be okay without it unless we have guys who can really block. Its absence may be the ultimate proof that Mangino really is running the offense.

Are you talking about the WR bubble screen where we throw it to the sideline to a WR and the other WRs block for them?

If so, I think we're going to see it a LOT again this year. At least they were practicing it quite a bit in practice this spring and we saw it a lot in the spring game too.

Unfortunately for us ISU fans, this play has gotten a bad rap, but it can be a very effective play. It stretches the defense from side to side and makes them cover the entire width of the field. It should open up the inside running game somewhat.

However, we've never been able to run it correctly. It takes a very quick and pinpoint accurate throw first of all. If the WR has to reach behind them or down to their ankles to catch it, it throws the play all off and it goes nowhere it seems. The ball needs to get out there quick and hit the WR right in the hands in stride.

And then the other WR's need to make their blocks, which is something we've also been poor at. In theory, if they make their blocks and the ball carrier can make one defender miss, then it should go for really good yards.

So at least 3 things must happen for this play to work. Quick and accurate throw, WRs make their blocks, and the ball carrier makes one defender miss. Way too often, we fail in one of these 3 areas or more.

My whole problem with this play is that if we can't run it correctly, than why do we persist in trying it about 50% of the time it seems. I can see throwing it in there occasionally to keep the defense thinking, but not as often as we seem to run it.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

This is a little off topic from this thread but isn't there usually a story and interview from Yancy before camp starts? Or is it during camp? Can't remember or did I miss it.

boyd

Feb 19, 2012
Lets give the fb team, coaches and staff a little love!

Hey Guys and Gals. We love you all and appreciate your effort. Best wishes and have a great healthy year.:yes:

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014

I would love to see the QB line up under center on a 3rd and inches.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

At this point in their development, Syria stands a better chance of seeing the field this year than Warren imo. My guess is both RS tho. In terms of potential and upside, Warren may lead the pack, but his lack of experience doesn't even put him in the top 5 as of now.

Agree...i see Syria not redshirting. Mangino loves big, strong rb's. Hence the Ozigbo commit. We are going away from the quicker/slasher type rb's and I'm ok with that. Especially in the red zone. Will be nice to see a little smash mouth fball near the goal line as opposed to the stupid shotgun zone read when we are on the 3yd line.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

I think its likely both Syria and Warren RS as well, but with smaller backs like Wimberly and Nealy the likelihood of injury is rather high. Should both develop some nagging injuries or one have a serious injury, the chance that Warren or Syria moves into the rotation certainly increases dramatically. Just depends which one arrive on campus in the best football condition and ready to play...OR...if the coaches feel like Standard and Brown are good enough to cover the load at running back. Personally, I hope they can both take the year to build up their bodies and learn the offense...but we get kinda thin if Wimberly or Nealy go down, and I'm not sure if Brown/Standard are good enough to fill in.

I trust the staff to make the right call, but its interesting to speculate about what they may do.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA

Joel Lanning takes first team snaps. CF implodes and a riot happens, causing Leath to cancel the football season.
Debates rage for months, eventually it is decided to change the name from football to handegg to prevent future rioting.
Europeans rejoice.

This post, I like it.

thumbs-up.gif

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Top 10 story lines in order of precedence:

1. Who wins the starting QB job.
2. Who joins the starting DL alongside DE Morrissey and NG Jensen/Cousins.
3. Is Qujuan Floyd good enough to crack the starting lineup at DB.
4. Is Taiese good enough to beat out O'Moile.
5. Is Michael Warren too good to redshirt, even with good talent ahead of him in Wimberly/Nealy?
6. Will Luke Knott retake his starting position and has Jordan Harris grasped the defensive scheme sufficiently to beat out Alton Meeks?
7. Which freshman corner is good enough to pull their RS and see real playing time this season.
8. Is Campos good enough to beat out Gannon at Tackle?
9. Can Mangino find a way to get Bundrage and Montgomery in the same starting lineup?
10. Is Lazard as good as we think he is?

11. Levi Peters....beard or no beard?

Selected responses:

2. I think it's going to be a 2-3man rotation--at both spots.
3. Yes. The real question, however, is whether Mutcherson or Cotton-Moya can play well enough to retain it. Either way, there's little depth back there., and Floyd will help.
4. Some might say that the reason Burton moved to RG was because he couldn't beat out Omoile (he's not Irish) on the left. As with other questions, Taise will make for wonderful depth, much better than in '13.
5. Maybe.
7. IMO: Vic Holmes, best combination of size, speed and athleticism, lack pure corner skills. De'Monte Ruth, Speed, athleticism and corner skills, lack bulk. Brian Peavy: Not as fast as the other two, but perhaps the best combination of polished corner skills, speed, and athleticism.
8. Gannon? On the right side? No.
9. Yes. I'm thinking about Lazard and Montgomery on the field at the same time.
10. No. Not as good as some seem to think he is, anyway.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

Freshman Corner backs: Mike Johnson looked like a big time pick up. Looking forward to hearing about him.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
A ot of Position Battles on Defense

I feel there will be alot of focus on our defense. Jenson, Morrissey and Tribune might be the only sure starters. The competiton to see who starts is going to be fun to follow. It was touched on by the poster, who referenced if Floyd and Taiese can start. The related story is the overall impact of JUCO recruits. Of Floyd, Harris, Pierson and Luna, 3 of 4 need to play significant downs.

On offense the big stories will be QB & OL, but I am also curious what will happen at RB. I think Wimberly is the starter, but can he be effective getting more than 15-20 touches a game? That may leave another 15-20 touches for Nealy, Warren, Syria, Brown. The overkill story will be how Lazard does. It would be great to see him do well, but WR is a position where our existing pool of players is strong- so if Lazard earns snaps he is a stud.

Last edited:

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN

What will be the story line out of the first week?

Who might change positions for this season for the good of the team, even if it means playing both ways? The defense needs depth at DT and LB, while the offense, IMO, lacks a sure thing, short yardage RB.

If it were up to me, I'd move Lazard and Lanning to LB, and Campos to DT. These are Iowa natives sure to play with their hair on fire in Iowa City. They could return to offense next year, all the wiser about how to break down a defense. Why should they ride the pine with the defense so short handed?

And how about handing the ball to Corey Morrissey for a sure 1st down on 3rd or 4th and short? He led his HS team in rushing his senior season so would know all about how to keep it North and South.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

Lazard to linebacker dumbest thing I've read in a while.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Who might change positions for this season for the good of the team, even if it means playing both ways? The defense needs depth at DT and LB, while the offense, IMO, lacks a sure thing, short yardage RB.

If it were up to me, I'd move Lazard and Lanning to LB, and Campos to DT. These are Iowa natives sure to play with their hair on fire in Iowa City. They could return to offense next year, all the wiser about how to break down a defense. Why should they ride the pine with the defense so short handed?

And how about handing the ball to Corey Morrissey for a sure 1st down on 3rd or 4th and short? He led his HS team in rushing his senior season so would know all about how to keep it North and South.

Wow... is this post for real?

The only thing you posted that has any remote chance of ever happening is Lanning ending up at LB someday down the road (as in years from now), but even that is very unlikely.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

I definitely feel like the best thing we could do is take the top recruits we got each of the last two years and move them to completely different sides of the ball....

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011

HAHAHAHA WHAT.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

can't see any of this happening. The only change that I was looking for was moving Wendel T. from OL to NG or DT. The guy is huge and if you watch his highlight tape, you will see a very aggressive player, running down field to flatten anyone that was not smart enough to get out of the way. I know this would be an unusual switch, but the defensive line is really in need of big bodies.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

Lazard at LB? What are you smoking?

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

Disturbing.

Help Support Us

Become a patron