Your favorite stouts?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It's about that time of the year where we need to start focusing on stouts. What's our favorite? Any kind of stout (Oatmeal, Double/Imperial,Sweet, etc). Some of mine:

Prairie Bomb-Double Stout
Beer Geek Breakfast-Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Founders Breakfast Stout-Imperial Stout
Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro-Milk/Sweet Stout
Beer Geek Brunch Weasel-Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Evil Twin Biscotti Break-Imperial stout
Boulevard Dark Truth-Imperial Stout
Surly Darkness-Russian Imperial Stout
Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout(KBS)-Imperial

Left Hand and Boulevard are the ones which are easy to find in Iowa. My idea of easy is that I can find it at my local Dahl's store. If I go to one of the good Hy-Vee's (Ankeny, Fluer, etc) you can find a few more.

I even like to have a Guinness every so often. It's the beer that got a lot of people into craft and still holds up well IMO. I rarely drink more than one of these stouts in a sitting. I made the mistake of drinking a Speedway Stout after drinking a Prairie Bomb and it made the Speedway Stout seem just average.

Last edited:

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
It's about that time of the year where we need to start focusing on stouts. What's our favorite? Any kind of stout (Oatmeal, Double/Imperial,Sweet, etc). Some of mine:

Prairie Bomb-Double Stout
Beer Geek Breakfast-Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Founders Breakfast Stout-Imperial Stout
Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro-Milk/Sweet Stout
Beer Geek Brunch Weasel-Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Evil Twin Biscotti Break-Imperial stout
Boulevard Dark Truth-Imperial Stout
Surly Darkness-Russian Imperial Stout
Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout(KBS)-Imperial

Left Hand and Boulevard are the ones which are easy to find in Iowa.

I even like to have a Guinness every so often. It's the beer that got a lot of people into craft and still holds up well IMO. I rarely drink more than one of these stouts in a sitting. I made the mistake of drinking a Speedway Stout after drinking a Prairie Bomb and it made the Speedway Stout seem just average.

Nailed it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'd like to try some of the Bourbon County Stouts, TG Mornin Delight, TG Kentucky Brunch, and TG Assasin.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Not a big stout guy, but we were at Lake Time Brewery in Clear Lake couple weeks ago, and they had a chocolate stout that was really good.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Left Hand Milk Stout
Bell's Kalamazoo Stout (especially on tap)
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout (high abv)

St Peter's stouts and porters (at hyvee etc) http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/our-beer-range/

There used to be one called Mackeson Triple Stout. It has not been available in US for 5 years or so but was recently restarted by Carib Breweru in the Caribbean and apparently you can now get it again in some places east of Iowa. I would recommend it if you can find it. It had the smoothness of other Milk Stouts, but with extra "roastiness"...
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9/19/

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Alesmith - Speedway Stout
Founders - Breakfast Stout
New Holland - Bourbon Barrel Stout
Left Hand - Milk Stout
Souther Tier - Mokah
Boulevard - Dark Truth Stout
Murphy's Irish Stout

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I have really started to enjoy stouts lately- here are a few of my favorites:

Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Cream Stout- Tallgrass Brewing Co.
Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout- Odell Brewing Co.
Collapsar Oatmeal Stout- Empyrean Brewing Co.
Cream Stout- Samuel Adams Brewing Co.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Forgot a couple

Southern Tier Creme Brulee-Sweet Stout
Bells Kalamazoo Stout-Stout

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
For local, once in a while Confluence puts a nitro stout on tap.

Last fall Whiskey River had a Sam Adams Boston nitro stout on tap that I really liked.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Buffalo Sweat might be my favorite "everyday" stout, with Left Hand Milk Stout in the running. Founder's Breakfast Stout for something a little bigger. I had a glass of Prairie Wine Barrel Noir at The Cellar in Decorah on Friday, and it was absolutely outstanding.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I've always really like Olde Main's stouts. Both the Sodbuster and Elk Man. TG does the barrel aged stout really well with Assassin and KBBS, and Bell's Black Note is predictably excellent.

Stouts were the first style of beer I really got into, but kind of moved away from them for awhile. I'm not as into chasing the biggest and rarest stouts like many in the craft beer world, but I enjoy them when I get the chance.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I used to be a big stout fan, but I've been consumed by IPAs. I used to make the cold weather switch to stouts in the past but I haven't had one in quite a while. I'm now inspired to pick something up on the way home.

If you were going to recommend for a guy to pick up on his way home from work to get back in to stouts whats the recommendation?

CycloneCarter

Jan 10, 2014
Zion
Stout season is rapidly approaching! Some of my favorites:

Any of the Bourbon County Series
Prairie Bomb- Prairie Artisian Ales
Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti- Great Divide
Wake Up Dead Nitro- Lefthand
I Love You with my Stout-Evil Twin
Black Butte XXVI-Deschutes

Wish Lift for this Winter:
Moloka-Three Floyds
Madrugada Obscura- Jolly Pumpkin
Any Stout from TG

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I had 2 great ones at a beer tasting for Deschutes, Black Butte XXV, The Abyss Imperial Stout (I have this one in the liquor cabinet for special occasion, is suppose to get better with age.....