Winter Beers...

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
I'm excited to try out some Troegs Mad Elf tonight. My beer guy at the store raved about it and said its great.

troegs-beer-mad-elf-ale.jpg

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
Was at HyVee this morning mailing some letters and decided to stop by the beer section to check out what they had and saw Shock Top Chocolate Wheat. Anybody have any experiences with this beer? Gotta stop by there on the way home tonite to grab a few things- I just might have to pick up some...

CW-bottleglass-large.png

Shock Top is Budwieser/ImBev, FYI.

I've never had this brew. I wonder if they mean that it has chocolate malts (which don't taste chocolate, but are just roasted to a chocolate color), or if they actually add chocolate. Either one could be interesting.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Picked up some Bell's Winter White Ale this weekend, very good stuff. It's a wheat beer, so not as heavy as some of the other stuff mentioned in this thread, but I would recommend trying some if you're a fan of Bell's beer.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Haven't read the whole thread to see if it's been mentioned.

But I love Schells Chimney Sweep. Was in the Twin Cities last week and stocked up while I was there.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Tried a Lucky Bucket Snowsuit this weekend. Pretty good stuff. Picked up a 6 pack to take home with me. They have a lot of good beers.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Not usually a wheat beer fan but I had the Winter Wheat at 515 and it was good. More pumpkin than wheat. As a side note, having kids at 515 at 6pm on a Saturday night annoys the hell out of me. I know 515 loves having kids in their bar and the people who bring their kids are very vocal but there are a lot of people like myself that will stay away.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Went to HyVee over the weekend and got a mix-n-match 6er. Looking forward to a good week of drinking...

Shiner Holiday Cheer
New Belgium Accumulation
Abita Christmas Ale
Shock Top Chocolate Wheat
Samuel Adams White Christmas
Leinekugel's Cranberry Ginger Shandy

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Went to HyVee over the weekend and got a mix-n-match 6er. Looking forward to a good week of drinking...

Shiner Holiday Cheer
New Belgium Accumulation
Abita Christmas Ale
Shock Top Chocolate Wheat
Samuel Adams White Christmas
Leinekugel's Cranberry Ginger Shandy

Haven't seen this one here yet. Is it only in the singles?

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
I found some Founders Backwoods Bastard last week at Hy-Vee last week. Expensive, and they only sell it in 4 packs, but so, so good. 10.2%, so I don't mind the cost. Nothing says winter beer like ale aged in oak bourbon barrels.

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
Karbach's Yule Shoot Your Eye Out. Too bad it's only available in Texas.

Sierra Nevada's Celebration is good, along with Deschutes Jubelale.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Drinking a Leine's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter right now. Good beer, but I still really miss their Fireside Nut Brown. Can't say I'm a big fan of the Cranberry Ginger Shandy.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Drinking a Leine's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter right now. Good beer, but I still really miss their Fireside Nut Brown. Can't say I'm a big fan of the Cranberry Ginger Shandy.
Had the Vanilla Porter last week. Very enjoyable!! Having Shiner Cheer now.